Top Ten K-Pop Songs of 2012 - All-Girl Edition

Redhorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Redhorn

made a great kpop top ten post, and since I recently made my own list I'll post it with commentary and lots of links. I only listen to girl groups. No interest in boy bands. Sue me.

Thanks for the list, McGhee! I like your picks! Here are mine. I've included some links to music videos (MVs) or at least the audio for those who want even more real-ass kpop. Bad songs have gone unlinked.

1. miss A - Touch
2. Orange Caramel - Lipstick
3. After School - Flashback
4. f(x) - Electric Shock
5. Girl's Day - Don't Forget Me
6. Secret - Twinkle Twinkle
7. 2NE1 - I Love You
8. After School - Eyeline
9. 4minute - Volume Up
10. KARA - Pandora

Notes on the list:

Touch is an absolute crusher, which is what it takes to dethrone Orange Caramel from my top spot in any year. I made this list based purely on the quality of the songs, but holy shit, what a video! Amazing set and effects etc. All of these songs have videos that are good to varying degrees, aside from Eyeline which has no video at all. I kind of like the opening music of the Pandora video, before the real song starts, better than the real song itself.

God, it was hard to cut T-ara - Lovey Dovey, but it had to be done. It wasn't good enough. I didn't like Day by Day or Sexy Love. Damn I hated Sexy Love.

I almost, ALMOST had Orange Caramel on there twice with Yasashii Akuma, but it was not meant to be. That was #10 until I remembered Girl's Day.

Twinkle Twinkle is a Japanese song, but it's by an established Korean group for a Japanese promotion. I wish it was called something different, because Girl's Day - Twinkle Twinkle is one of my favorite kpop songs and has the best kpop MV of all time. Anyways, Secret is great, listen to Shy Boy

I fucking hate 2NE1, but I Love You is such a dope track that it has to be on the board. I love Bom's weird singing cadence. Must be all the plastic.

A few thoughts on kpop 2012:

1. Thank you Nichkhun for not allowing 2012 to pass by without a male idol killing or nearly killing an innocent person with a vehicle. Fuck all manpop. This is rule #1 and it is law. Boy bands know this and it's why they get drunk and take out their frustrations on innocent motorists year after year.

2. Fuck Gangnam Style. That song was good for about a week after it came out. Yes, I am wearing my hipster glasses, thanks.

3. That's too bad about T-ara, huh? I don't know what actually happened, I'm sure not everything was totally kosher, but they were one of my personal favorites. Lots of top-notch songs out of them! Why Are You Being Like This, Bo Peep Bo Peep, Apple is A, Roly Poly, Yayaya, and more! Those are all total crushers that I would listen to any time. It sucked to see them get tarred and feathered like that, and now Hwayoung is probably fucked for a music career. Not that anyone gave a shit about her aside from that time we saw her nipple. I can't believe how poorly Kim Kwang Soo and CCM handled that. KKS is the biggest, dumbest jagoff in kpop, it's amazing T-ara has lasted so long in light of it. The dude adds a 14 year old to the band now, which is bad enough but he makes her the rapper and she can't even speak Korean? Christ almighty. Wae ireoni, KKS?

4. Jihae left Girl's Day. Fuck! Not one member of Girl's Day is bad and they went and axed one. Or she left, whatever. She's gone and Girl's Day didn't even chart significantly, but G-Dragon is still alive and released like 18 fucking singles or something this year. Fuck the world. Girl's Day released their first bad song in Oh My God!, which had an equally bad music video, but Don't Forget Me is a great comeback.

5. IU. Hahahaha. Hey, on the bright side, hopefully no one will ever call her "the nation's little sister" again. Jesus, that title is creepy as hell.

6. miss A - I Don't Need A Man is a terrible song and all, but... okay, if the video is about female empowerment and the title of the damn thing says that they don't need a man, why does the video open with a shot of a stack of cash with their CEO's face on it? Holy loly. Way to keep them underheel, JYP. Part of me thinks he's fully aware of the irony.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

I really like "Twinkle Twinkle" by Secret. I discovered it because it was the first closing theme song to the anime, Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden. It's such an infectious song, it quickly became one of my most listened-to songs of 2012. Whenever I run across a Jpop song in an anime I really like I tend to scower the internet seeking out more from the artist. I listened to a number of other songs by Secret and quite enjoy them. I tend not to be a large a fan of Kpop as I am Jpop because Kpop seems to be more heavily influenced by modern Western pop and hip-hop, at least the stuff I'm familiar with. I don't follow Kpop all that closely, so I'll be the first to admit my knowledge is very limited. I did listen to a lot of the links above, so at least I know more than I did yesterday.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Decent list apart from the lack of T-ara and the fact that 2NE1 are awful.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By McGhee

Great list! I actually think 2NE1's "I Love You" is their best song. I'd actually forgotten that Lovey Dovey was this year and might have switched it out with "Day by Day."

One should also note that while their are males in my Kpop list, there are no "boy bands." An important distinction. lol

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I had no idea there was any following of Korean pop on here.
Also, as someone who doesn't listen to any of this, Gangnam Style has gotten incredibly annoying.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ikwal

Pretty much agree with your list. I would like to put A Pinks Hush, SNSD TTS - Twinkle and T-aras Day by day somewhere on my list as well.

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ImaTreee

no mention of younha ;___;