Warcraft movie due June 10th

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Blizzard has announced via their Warcraft movie facebook page that it will enter cinemas on June 10th.

The trailer will be released this friday, November 5th

No Caption Provided

Kinda curious about this, it's probably safe to assume that they won't allow butchering of their beloved franchise that eventually meets other movies based on games.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's a shame they didn't try recreate the original box art, though they still might.

No Caption Provided

Blizzcon is this weekend, I suspect this will get talked about a bit there.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I feel this is just one more way to try and inject interest and players back into World of Warcraft to keep it going.
Or I might be wrong! I think me and a lot of others have low expectations for this. (I woudl say majority, but I have no idea.)

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks like Ragnar found another use for his beard.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Clancy Brown as Blackhand should be interesting.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By conmulligan

I don't have an appreciation or affection for the lore of Warcraft, but Duncan Jones is a hell of a director so I'm really curious to see how this turns out. If there's one person who can break the curse of terrible video game adaptations, it's probably him.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ripelivejam

Im 1 for 1 on duncan jones (moon was terrific but source code was a little wacky and left me cold), so still pretty unsure about this.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@jesus_phish: Until then there's always that one shot from The Fellowship of the Ring. Always reminds me of Warcraft.

Loading Video...

Everything I've seen of the orcs in this looks great, and everything I've seen of the humans in this looks bland.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I still don't believe this exists, and I probably won't until I see a sign for it near the IMAX theatre near me.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

finally, the story can be told

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Everything I've seen of the orcs in this looks great, and everything I've seen of the humans in this looks bland.

I think you just summed up Warcraft lore.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By paulmako

I know absolutely nothing about the story of Warcraft. I've not touched any of the games at all.

Is there a basic central conflict or background to the lore?

From that poster I am guessing orcs vs humans but I have no idea who is good or evil, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

That's a lot sooner than I actually thought it would be released - makes me actually want to try out WoW / Warcraft 3 prior to its release.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

I know absolutely nothing about the story of Warcraft. I've not touched any of the games at all.

Is there a basic central conflict or background to the lore?

From that poster I am guessing orcs vs humans but I have no idea who is good or evil, etc.

Without getting into too much detail:

-orcs and humans live on different continents/planes with no awareness of each other
-demons come from demontown and basically promise orcs glory and conquest by giving them steroids and helping them build a portal to the human continent in exchange for swore allegiance/enslavement
-orcs agree, fuck shit up, claim some land on the new continent but don't defeat humans entirely; the Horde and the Alliance is formed and quasi-cold war relations are now in place

That's basically the Orcs-versus-Humans conflict. Of course there's a lot of nuance like both sides having characters that are pro and against the war. There's also a major emphasis on the Orcs' desire for redemption and liberation from under the demonic influence who are also there to just screw with everybody.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I still think this will be terrible, hope I am wrong.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@imsh_pl: Pro and anti-war/interracial friendship is definitely not a thing pre Warcraft 3. Used to be you just wanted to kill the big evil green guys, nowadays you have to debate the righteousness of killing those big evil green guys.

Medivh was just the other evil guy that added some evil variety.

That shit might be in the movie but it doesn't really make any sense to be in the movie.

On one side you have "Aw, fuck some random ass green dudes just burned down our forest and built some ugly ass muddy looking farms" and on the other side you have the age old question: "To SMOrc or not to SMOrc?"

There better be gold mines that explode once they run out of gold in the movie. Also Metzen's voice everywhere. Blackrock Mountain is just a giant ass obelisk that you attack with swords until it explodes.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That orc got his tusks pierced. Preeeeetttty hardcore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Can't wait for Duncan Jones to start making real movies again.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I honestly know nothing about Warcraft, but came here to post that 2016 looks to be the biggest year for video game to film adaptations ever. This is coming out on June 10, Ratchet and Clank will come out on April 29, Angry Birds on May 20, and Assassin's Creed is due to come out Winter of 2016.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mocbucket62: Fassbender's Creed. Also fucking Marion Cotillard and Brendan Gleeson. That shit isn't a video game movie, impossible.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Can't wait! Blizzard lore is completely devoid of nuance and derivative as shit but I don't care. Warcraft is such a huge part of my gaming history and I'm sure I'll love this movie too.

I feel this is just one more way to try and inject interest and players back into World of Warcraft to keep it going.

Or I might be wrong! I think me and a lot of others have low expectations for this. (I woudl say majority, but I have no idea.)

I dunno, seems like there should be much smarter ways to revitalize interest in your MMO than spending over $100 million making a summer blockbuster film.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#22  Edited By sgtsphynx

Who is the dude portraying the human on that poster? He look really familiar.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I really think this might be a hit. The orcs and humans story from early in the franchise was told pretty well in the books (back when I read every single Blizzard book), and from everything I've heard they want to do justice to it.

Been a while since we've had a big budget fantasy franchise that's aiming for a darker tone. So I'm pretty excited.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@starvinggamer: Oh, the dude from Vikings. No wonder he looked familiar.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:

Can't wait for Duncan Jones to start making real movies again.

Me too.

If this movie succeeds, it might work for Jones the same way the Batman movies worked for Chris Nolan.

Or it might work the same way LOTR worked for Peter Jackson. That'd be a real bummer.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to the trailer and the movie, not as a Warcraft fan but as a videogames and cinema fan, I think this might be the chance to get a good videogame to movie adaptation.

But I'm not really into this poster, looks like fan art. It's like someone found the two faces and the sword on google, placed them together and added the face paint with the first brush pack found on deviantArt. Font selection doesn't help either, why use a such modern font for the date and tagline? If I looked to that bottom half alone, I would thought it's a spy movie about CIA or FBI or something like that.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blizzard's writers have the delicate touch of a Swiss watchmaker... on the back of a mastodon in a Fabergé egg shop.

Let's see what Hollywood can make of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantasy films almost always fail unless based on Tolkien. Now add that this movie has been in production hell for years and is based on a video game which leads me to believe Warcraft has major bomb written all over it.

Name the last successful fantasy movie that wasn't The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

@bartok: Unlike most of those other fantasy movies this has an extremely well known and popular license attached to it. It's not just some random fantasy book it's fucking Warcraft.

gamehaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make no mistake, there was no financial incentive for Blizzard to do this. Metzen has just always wanted his shit in film and now he can die happy. Maybe this is cathartic enough for him that he can step down and leave the creative direction of Blizzard's core titles in actually good hands.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wacomole

@bribo said:

If this movie succeeds, it might work for Jones the same way the Batman movies worked for Chris Nolan.

Or it might work the same way LOTR worked for Peter Jackson. That'd be a real bummer.

Yeah, I'm sure Sir Peter is super bummed out about making squillions of dollars and is weeping over his Oscars, wiping his tears with his knighthood.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gah, I can't find the old Bombcast where Vinny sprouts out some of his wonderful ideas for the Warcraft movie.

I've grown so tired with WoW that I'm not especially looking forwards to this one. Of course I don't mind being pleasantly surprised, but my expectations for anything Warcraft has certainly sunk...

vsharres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even thought I really like Warcraft lore (before they ruined it with WoW) I have a feeling this movie is gonna be terrible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willin said:

@bartok: Unlike most of those other fantasy movies this has an extremely well known and popular license attached to it. It's not just some random fantasy book it's fucking Warcraft.

The decade old MMO with a waning subscription base? Or the RTS series where the last sequel was released around 2002? No offense but I don't think most popular MMO or Blizzard's second most popular RTS series translates into box office gold. Also outside of those Resident Evil films the public have learned that video game movie equals terrible.

Maybe it will do okay overseas like Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters but I still think this will go over in theaters like a wet fart. If it makes you feel better I bet it will do better than Seventh Son and Jack the Giant Slayer.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:

Fantasy films almost always fail unless based on Tolkien. Now add that this movie has been in production hell for years and is based on a video game which leads me to believe Warcraft has major bomb written all over it.

Name the last successful fantasy movie that wasn't The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

Game of Thrones is essentially 25 successful fantasy movies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brabbin said:
@bartok said:

Game of Thrones is essentially 25 successful fantasy movies

It is a TV SHOW so it doesn't count. Plus it is based on an extremely popular book series and not a video game. What also helps is that Game of Thrones, while it does contain dragons and other fantastical elements, is very much a drama filled with political backstabbing both figurative and literal, is very adult oriented, and has that HBO polish a lot of their drama series have.

Just because HBO's slogan is "It's not TV it's HBO" it is still TV.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Naoiko

I reaaally hope its good. I've been looking forward to seeing it, but it's been so long since it was announced I almost thought they had canceled it.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hope this does well (and is good, of course). Warcraft's lore, up to and including the rise and fall of Arthas, is fantastic. I'd at least like to see them make it to that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I wonder if the general moviegoing population has the same morbid interest in this as I do.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By paulmako

@bartok: You know I hear those Harry Potter films did pretty good. How to Train your Dragon also did pretty good.

And I wouldn't draw such a hard line between movies and tv shows, Game of Thrones has been an absurd success and proves that there is an audience for fantasy of some form, even if it is primarily political intrigue.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

indure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery: It's awesome to see the scarecrow design in Westfall is the same in the movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

@bartok: You know I hear those Harry Potter films did pretty good. How to Train your Dragon also did pretty good.

And I wouldn't draw such a hard line between movies and tv shows, Game of Thrones has been an absurd success and proves that there is an audience for fantasy of some form, even if it is primarily political intrigue.

2011 was when the last film, Deathly Hallows Part 2 was released, and I totally forgot about old Harry Potter. Honestly 2011 isn't that long ago I could have sworn Deathly Hallows Part 2 came out 2009 at the latest. How to Train your Dragon 2 was a box office disappointment and potentially sunk the trilogy, which is a real bummer because I think it is some of Dreamwork Animations best work.

As for TV, Game of Thrones is a huge hit but you don't see many imitators sticking around for more than a season or making it past the pilot. All I can think of is Once Upon a Time, unless you want to count Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, or American Horror Story but I wouldn't classify those as high fantasy.

I love me some good fantasy but I don't think it is coming from a video game movie. There is very good reason to believe that combining fantasy with video game adaptation is a recipe for disaster. Now the million dollar question is will it do better than the Assassin's Creed and Angry Birds movie?