Warhammer 40K Books

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By chan05

So i just wanted to order some Warhammer 40K books on Amazon, since i really liked to read them a few years ago. But now it just seems there are literally hundreds of 40K books out there. Do you have any suggestions for me which ones could be worth reading? So far i only heard that Dan Abnett - Ravenor is pretty good.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai
chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chan05
@Jeffsekai: The Ultramarines seems to be a classic....at least thats what the title implies :D
CaptainCoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CaptainCoke

Resurrecting this topic in light of Vinny's interest in these books. I have also looked for a way to traverse this lore through books, but I gave up due to the shear number of titles. Has anyone got a good starting point, and progression through the books?

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I went on the Warhammer 40K wiki and chose a chapter I liked, after reading through them of course, and then buying a book on them. I ended buying "Angels of Darkness", by Gavin Thorpe. I'll probably end up buying the Horus Heresy books so I can witness the events before the 40K universe. Also, I kept seeing references to the "Black Crusade", are there any books on those crusades, and are they good?

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Vorbis

@CaptainCoke: I would suggest Gaunts Ghosts series, it follows a small regiment of Imperial Guard who are pretty much human, so it's a good entry point into the franchise as you start of with something you're familiar with and still get to meet the Space Marines and Chaos, just that you're seeing them from a distance rather jumping straight in.

The most common suggestion would be Vinnys choice and going for the Horus Heresy, which is a great starting point but it's also not set in 40k so you're going to need to do a lot of reading before catching up to the recent stuff.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By veektarius

I've kind of hit a wall with 40K reading. I started out with Imperial Guard books, Gaunt's Ghosts, the Eisenhorn & Ravenor, Ciaphis Cain, the one just entitled "Imperial Guard"... I don't know if there are any left worth reading. I tried making the jump to Space Marine books, but while both Grey Knights and Space Wolves were all right, the Space Marines were just a bit too straightforward for me, as I had kind of feared. Assuming I won't ever come to terms with Space Marines books, is there anything left I need to read?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jeffsekai
conrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By conrow

@chan05: Any omnibuses that you can pick up are a great (cheap) method of getting into the series. They are massive, but worth the 10-15 bucks you'll pay for them. Specifically I'd say go for the Gaunt's Ghost one's, there are 3 of them and all are amazing.

HonoredSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HonoredSamurai

Eisenhorn trilogy. Some of the best fiction I've ever read in my life and I read a shit ton. part detective, part drama, part romance, part action, part awesome. Ravenor is his pupil btw. Also, Ciaphas Cain novels are hilarious, if you think you can tolerate treating w40k monstrosities as a joke.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse

Currently. Reading eisenhorn triolohy. Enjoying it a lot

CaptainCoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaptainCoke

Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to just order The Founding Omnibus to start. I guess I should read all the Gaunt's Ghosts titles through first?

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chan05

Almost one year after posting this question I wanted to give a quick overview of what I actually happened to read:

I started with the Eisenhorn Omnibus which I really enjoyed. The quality is kind of inconsistent throughout the single books but all in all it's one of the most entertaining books I have read. Then I turned to the Horus Heresy. I'm reading book 3 (Galaxy in Flames) of it right now and I have to say that it's easily the best Sci-Fi/Fantasy series I have ever read. The battle scenes and intrigues are amazing. However it requires a certain affinity to the 40K universe. I also started reading the Gaunt's Ghost series which seemed to be good as well. However I have commited to the Horus Heresy now and I'm planning to read all of it.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Still_I_Cry

When I was younger I enjoyed Gotrek and Felix.

dyram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dyram

@chan05: Reading all of the Horus Heresy series is a decent goal for reading, but you're going to likely reach a point of waiting for the next in the series to come out. They space releases fairly regularly throughout the year, but, while the series may be drawing ever closer to the grand clash that closes this eponymous period of Warhammer 40k lore, there are still some books to go and it's likely you'll catch up to the fore quickly.

This is why I, personally, read almost every series out there and still end up waiting for more. The Gaunt's Ghosts series is long, and if you can find the original books (or an omnibus thereof), a nice ride alongside characters that span a large timeframe and countless battles. I would also suggest getting into the Ciaphas Cain series by Sandy Mitchell. As long as you don't dislike characters that are somewhat self-serving and narcissistic, the characterization is fantastic and gives a real view of just how much everything sucks in the 40k universe, from the perspective of a man out to really just save his own skin, whilst stumbling into somewhat-unearned famed (though his modesty is great).

I still don't understand why people think that Eisenhorn is a good entry point into the universe, but glad it didn't turn you off, at least. Keep reading and you'll find some great stuff in one of the best and most expansive sci-fi settings out there.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HarlechQuinn

@chan05: I really dug "The Space Wolf Omnibus" by William King. And for some Black Templars glory I would recommend "Helsreach (Space Marine Battles)" by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

@chan05 said:

Almost one year after posting this question I wanted to give a quick overview of what I actually happened to read:

I started with the Eisenhorn Omnibus which I really enjoyed. The quality is kind of inconsistent throughout the single books but all in all it's one of the most entertaining books I have read. Then I turned to the Horus Heresy. I'm reading book 3 (Galaxy in Flames) of it right now and I have to say that it's easily the best Sci-Fi/Fantasy series I have ever read. The battle scenes and intrigues are amazing. However it requires a certain affinity to the 40K universe. I also started reading the Gaunt's Ghost series which seemed to be good as well. However I have commited to the Horus Heresy now and I'm planning to read all of it.

The Necrons would be proud of this Necro post. :)

Best of luck with the books, and glad to hear your attempt went better them mine did. My first experience with Warhammer was with the amazing Dawn of War games and later Warhammer Online; by that point I was in love. My first attempt to jump into the books however, did not end well. I started/ended with the Grey Knight Omnibus and could not make heads or tails of a dam thing in that book. I read about 50-100 pages in and just had to stop because I was bored to tears and had no idea what anyone was talking about. Every other sentence was them talking about some series of names for people/places/things that had no meaning or context to me what so ever but rather then explain anything they just said these names like their uttering explained everything.

Curious to know if those books you started in on were as bad and if you just had to brute force your way through? I really enjoy the 40k Universe, but that book kind of soured me on trying the books. I'm sure it also doesn't help that I find the Space Marines and their side of the wars the most uninteresting aspect of the whole thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The Horus Heresy series is fantastic, the first three books blew me away and I'm currently making my way through the fourth. It also brings you to the roots of 40k's beginnings and explains how the Chaos Space Marines came to be.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By supamon

@crusader8463 said:

@chan05 said:

The Necrons would be proud of this Necro post. :)

Best of luck with the books, and glad to hear your attempt went better them mine did. My first experience with Warhammer was with the amazing Dawn of War games and later Warhammer Online; by that point I was in love. My first attempt to jump into the books however, did not end well. I started/ended with the Grey Knight Omnibus and could not make heads or tails of a dam thing in that book. I read about 50-100 pages in and just had to stop because I was bored to tears and had no idea what anyone was talking about. Every other sentence was them talking about some series of names for people/places/things that had no meaning or context to me what so ever but rather then explain anything they just said these names like their uttering explained everything.

Curious to know if those books you started in on were as bad and if you just had to brute force your way through? I really enjoy the 40k Universe, but that book kind of soured me on trying the books. I'm sure it also doesn't help that I find the Space Marines and their side of the wars the most uninteresting aspect of the whole thing.

Oh god I have that book too! I had already read a book or two of the Horus Heresy and wanted to read something focused on the Grey Knights because everyone who knows WH40K knows they are complete badasses. Big. Mistake. I managed to power through the first and second volumes in hopes of reaching a good part but the story was so bland and boring I couldn't take it anymore. Suffice to say it put me off reading any WH40K for a few months. Good job Ben Counter!

@chan05: I'd recommend Space-Marine-Battles novels if you haven't read them. They take place long after Horus Heresy and are on a smaller scale like a single planet where you follow a particular chapter dealing with a specific threat such as an Ork invasion. They give good insight into how each chapter work if you're into a particular chapter.