Wedding surprise for gaming husband

Dotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, my boyfriend and I are soon to be married and since I am not so keen on throwing a speech, I've been thinking about doing some sort of other surprise for him, since he isn't exspecting anything from me.

And that is where I hope you good people, have a lot of good ideas I can take inspiration from.

What I've been thinking so far, is something involving soundtracks from some of his favorite games (which he has been listening to - A LOT), maybe talking to his buddies and doing some sort of dance, but then again... I'm not sure I would actually do a dance.

So please do help if you have a good idea for me. Thanks!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Can you name any games in particular that he really likes? Especially what he considers his all time favorites.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By kindgineer

I really like the game music idea. If your fiance ever played World of Warcraft, one of the most iconic "gaming dances" is the one performed by the Night Elf, but that may be more reasonable to do behind doors :P.

Maybe research his favourite games and model your clothing/attire after it? Maybe find a dress similar to Princess Toadstool/Peach from Super Mario, or find someone good enough to mimic GLaDOS from Portal/Portal 2 for some of the DJ'ing? Unfortunately most of my ideas seem extreme, or at the very least hard to do, lol.

Dotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He hasn't been a PC-gamer in many years, so WoW isn't something he has played alot (:

My dress and outfit is already sorted out, so it has to be something I can do and not wear.

He has played so, so, sooo many games so I think he would have troubles naming his favorite game, but I know Final Fantasy X (I'm almost certain it was X) is one that has stuck with him through the years, but I don't really know if it is his favorite game. He has been playing Xbox since 360 was released, but played PS2 before that.

The music I have written down, is some songs that we both know and have one of those weird couple-things with, like the Persona 4 fighting music, some of the character songs from Street Fitgher (I think? -The Skrillex-ones), some of the music from Bastian and (the horrible) music from Super Meat Boy. And of course, from Deadly Premonition.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheHT

I think having "Life is Beautiful" from Deadly Premonition playing over whatever you decided to do would be great.

Are you sure you don't want to give a little speech? Because a lovey-dovey speech with this music suddenly fading up would be pretty funny.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By onyxghost

My wife threw me a LAN party with my friends and family. It's good to play a game with everyone in the room hanging out. Super rare event these days. Grab some Call of Duty or Halo and everyone bring a flat screen.

The LAN party was the bachelor party. The wedding itself was traditional. People are coming from all over the country. Grand ma doesn't care about vidja games, don't bore her.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How about the "Everyday's great at your Junes!" tune from Persona 4 but instead when it's about to say Junes, you just scream "WEDDING!!" over it. It doesn't make any goddamn sense but it'd leave an impression for sure.

Also you're crazy if you think Super Meat Boy had bad music. That soundtrack is DOPE.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Dress up like Mario and have him dress up like Luigi, and then blow him on the altar. That would be wild!

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

I think having "Life is Beautiful" from Deadly Premonition playing over whatever you decided to do would be great.

Are you sure you don't want to give a little speech? Because a lovey-dovey speech with this music suddenly fading up would be pretty funny.

If this happened at my wedding I would shit my pants (with love)

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thought for sure this was spam when I saw your username. Huh.

Well you know what they say, Guille's theme goes with everything.

Dotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life is Beautiful is definitely going to be involved some way or another, that's for sure!

My most recent idea is to make a speech where i'm not going to talk (Yipee), but I'll have a lot of clips from games to do it for me.

Think it sounds possible? I have no idea how I'm going to do that though..

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Loading Video...

If he's a street-fighter fan, you should know... the Guile theme goes with everything.

Unless you have the economy to give him a good PC gaming rig, something arranged with friends is possibly prefered. A gaming-themed cake with a speech? Something involving alcohol? Definitely alcohol, unless he's not into that.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By envane

herecomesthebride X guiles theme

i really have no idea , but good luck anyways and congratulations!

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Since I assume you're less of a gamer than your husband, feel free to use the line; "I'll be your Player 2"

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asrahn said:

If he's a street-fighter fan, you should know... the Guile theme goes with everything.

Unless you have the economy to give him a good PC gaming rig, something arranged with friends is possibly prefered. A gaming-themed cake with a speech? Something involving alcohol? Definitely alcohol, unless he's not into that.

Loading Video...

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tomorrowman

Keep it simple,I think. My wife was super awesome and got me a Pac man groom's cake. It was a great touch of video game flavor but it didn't take people's attention away from the rest of the day. Maybe if he's a bioshock fan you could do something like have the preacher say 'would you kindly kiss the bride', which is a subtle but huge nod.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theme weddings, hobby related things in weddings always seem so forced to me. Not knocking them by any means, I would just feel too awkward to have it pointed out 'THIS IS WHAT YOU LIKE! RIGHT?!' at my wedding. Different themed cakes are always awesome though.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

It'd be like the first scene with Polly in the hotel. "Could you speak up please, this mix is really loud!"

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asrahn: I have to know: what movie is that horrendous CGI from?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus: It's a far cry from horrendous CGI, but the CGI element is 2012 while the other clip is from Predator.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fattony12000

@dotcom said:

So, my boyfriend and I are soon to be married and since I am not so keen on throwing a speech, I've been thinking about doing some sort of other surprise for him, since he isn't exspecting anything from me.

And that is where I hope you good people, have a lot of good ideas I can take inspiration from.

What I've been thinking so far, is something involving soundtracks from some of his favorite games (which he has been listening to - A LOT), maybe talking to his buddies and doing some sort of dance, but then again... I'm not sure I would actually do a dance.

So please do help if you have a good idea for me. Thanks!

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/so-it-finally-happened-today-1446356/

The circle of life.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zaccheus

@baillie said:

@zaccheus: It's a far cry from horrendous CGI, but the CGI element is 2012 while the other clip is from Predator.

Oh my god... Is that really what you got for 200 million in 2012. Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes but that looks awful to me. I guess it's more likely that it's just the Youtube 720p compression playing tricks on me.

I'm sorry to derail this whole thing, I was just genuinely shocked.

Edit:

"There's a weird pixeley, granular look to some of the visuals that can be a bit off-putting."

Rorie's Screened Review of 2012

Maybe I just have the same kind of eyes that Rorie has.

Dotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: Yeah, thank you for that.......... helped out a lot!

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do a gaming inspired first dance, that would be fun.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dietomaha

At our wedding we just snuck in some game music into the playlist. Music that people could still have fun with, and never have to know it was from a game. As much as I (and to a lesser extent, my wife) like games, we didn't really want to force it on everyone at the wedding.

Far Away from Red Dead Redemption is a good one, for instance. Lots of good stuff on the GTA soundtracks. Maybe slip in a few of the 'demakes' from Bioshock Infinite? Those would probably go over pretty well.

Or, after the ceremony is done, walk down from the altar, scream "VIDEO GAMES, FUCK YOU" as a disco ball comes down from the ceiling and the lights dim and the Saints Row 3 garage music starts blaring and also there's lasers and shit. Something nice and low-key.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

VIDEOGAMES DONE

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@dotcom: If he likes Final Fantasy I know some people like using the Final Fantasy music as a wedding processional .

I've heard Tifa's theme from Final fantasy Vii played at weddings too. fwiw I think Final Fantasy's sound track in general might be more wedding friendly than X's (which actually had a major scene of a forced wedding being broken up).

A lot of times where people might play it is at the first dance of the newly married couple during the reception.

Zelda music is probably the next most common videogame music I've heard at weddings.

Since you've made allusions to giving a speech but don't really want to (I've never seen a bride give a speech so I wouldn't worry about it if you don't), maybe a good middle ground is to make a video featuring pics of you two, slides with occasional messages from you and video game music that he likes as the sound track?

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give him a fake XBOX ONE Box :D

Whamola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get him a Vectrex.

physics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of a speech at the reception, unveil a Dive Kick arcade machine and see which of you wins.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tacos....the answer is always tacos....

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Since you mentioned Persona, probably the music played in the velvet room would be pretty recognizable. For Final Fantasy, probably any of the chocobo themes, like Brass de Chocobo for FFX.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Are you the black guy from 30 Rock?