#1 Posted by Alexandru (345 posts) -

About 2 years ago I got internet from a new company, and since I was short on money, I payed only for 650 Kb/s. About a year ago though, they offered me a free trial at twice the speed for 2 months, and I accepted it.

And...the trial keeps going it seems even now, a year later, without me paying extra. And even weirder, right now I am downloading Sleeping Dogs Demo and the speed seems to have gone up to 1.5 Mb/s.

So obviously I am confused. Could they have just made a mistake and just gave me more than I should have? Or are they doing periodic upgrades and I don't know? Did it happened to you?

#2 Posted by Grilledcheez (4006 posts) -

Sometimes they upgrade your speed over time so they aren't lagging too far behind the competition. It happened here awhile ago, but hasn't gone up since then. I wish I had the kind of speeds my friend has though (8mb/s on steam!)

#3 Posted by mtcantor (965 posts) -

Dude I don't know what your company does! Anything is possible. Do they even offer the lower speed anymore?

I pay for shitty Comcast and even though internet speed test claims I get 15 m u/d, I'm lucky if I get 3 on steam.

#4 Posted by buft (3409 posts) -

@Grilledcheez said:

Sometimes they upgrade your speed over time so they aren't lagging too far behind the competition. It happened here awhile ago, but hasn't gone up since then. I wish I had the kind of speeds my friend has though (8mb/s on steam!)

I get about 7.5mb/s downloads on steam with my service unfortunately they throttle me at times making the overall value less than it originally seems, considering the cost of the service im not 100% thrilled with it

#5 Posted by konig_kei (754 posts) -

I get a full 900kbps on steam, you all jelly of my sweet speeds.

Online
#6 Posted by Grilledcheez (4006 posts) -

@buft said:

@Grilledcheez said:

Sometimes they upgrade your speed over time so they aren't lagging too far behind the competition. It happened here awhile ago, but hasn't gone up since then. I wish I had the kind of speeds my friend has though (8mb/s on steam!)

I get about 7.5mb/s downloads on steam with my service unfortunately they throttle me at times making the overall value less than it originally seems, considering the cost of the service im not 100% thrilled with it

Throttling is the worst! I'm just bummed because on paper we have the same internet service, but since he's living in newer apartments he SPINS BRODIES around my download speed.

#7 Posted by buft (3409 posts) -

@Grilledcheez said:

@buft said:

@Grilledcheez said:

Sometimes they upgrade your speed over time so they aren't lagging too far behind the competition. It happened here awhile ago, but hasn't gone up since then. I wish I had the kind of speeds my friend has though (8mb/s on steam!)

I get about 7.5mb/s downloads on steam with my service unfortunately they throttle me at times making the overall value less than it originally seems, considering the cost of the service im not 100% thrilled with it

Throttling is the worst! I'm just bummed because on paper we have the same internet service, but since he's living in newer apartments he SPINS BRODIES around my download speed.

yeh on busy days i can get as low as 7kbs between 5pm and 9pm after that though its usually pretty good, main problem there though is thats the time the steam sale updates

#8 Posted by believer258 (12792 posts) -

So, I can safely bet you aren't getting internet from AT&T?

Have you tried calling them to confirm? Y'know, after you're done enjoying those higher speeds for a few days.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10368 posts) -
@Grilledcheez said:

Sometimes they upgrade your speed over time so they aren't lagging too far behind the competition. It happened here awhile ago, but hasn't gone up since then. I wish I had the kind of speeds my friend has though (8mb/s on steam!)

I hate your friend now. 
I only get 7MB/S on Steam and I thought that was alright. Your friend is now my mortal enemy and we must kung-fu fight! 
#10 Posted by ShockD (2486 posts) -

People in Romania get excited about 1,5MB/s? Interdasting.

#11 Posted by L44 (628 posts) -

Man if I got 1 a second I would be excited.

#12 Posted by SexyToad (2939 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

Dude I don't know what your company does! Anything is possible. Do they even offer the lower speed anymore?

I pay for shitty Comcast and even though internet speed test claims I get 15 m u/d, I'm lucky if I get 3 on steam.

My down at max is 150 Kb/s.

#13 Posted by buzz_killington (3655 posts) -

I AM THE OWNER OF YOUR PROVIDER AND YOUR FREE RIDE IS OVER MISTER

#14 Edited by KingofClassy (71 posts) -

I used to have 40 down and 2 up but they put me up to 10 up after a while for free.

I normally get 4.5mb on Steam between 5 and 6 on Origin but on one occasion I got 17.5mb on Steam (it only lasted like 20 mins)

#15 Posted by TyCobb (2003 posts) -

They probably just upgraded and moved everyone up a tier. Some companies do this automatically so customers don't just up and leave when they see some commercial boasting about huge speeds. People are impulsive and don't usually contact the company beforehand asking if there's options to make their current connection faster. Anyone who has ever researched how companies like Comcast handle the connection from the server to their home know that it is just a configuration change to increase the speed.

Comcast will automatically boost their customers speed every year or so. 2 years ago I would get 10Mb/s max and slowly it started to rise. Currently I get anywhere from 18Mb/s to 30Mb/s.

#16 Posted by Xeiphyer (5680 posts) -

There's a pretty big variance in what you actually get from your ISP, that speed is approximately double so that seems normal. Though I guess they forgot to turn off the extra speed haha.

#17 Edited by PillClinton (3352 posts) -

Wait, wait, wait. 1.5MB/s is 12Mb/s, and you're saying they doubled your speed from 650Kb/s, or do you mean 650KB/s? Because double that is 1.3MB/s, which is just a little lower than what you're actually getting, so I don't see what's so interesting here.

#18 Posted by FritzDude (2316 posts) -

You payed for a 650 Kb/s internet? I thought they all measured in bits. In that case you have a 5,2 Mbps internet, in download at least, which seems insane low for todays standards. My guess is that they just upgraded it for free because it was already draco.

#19 Posted by Alexandru (345 posts) -

@antikorper said:

People in Romania get excited about 1,5MB/s? Interdasting.

No, I get excited cuz I live in a rural area. People in the cities get 15Mb/s easily.