Weird download speed

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alexandru

About 2 years ago I got internet from a new company, and since I was short on money, I payed only for 650 Kb/s. About a year ago though, they offered me a free trial at twice the speed for 2 months, and I accepted it.

And...the trial keeps going it seems even now, a year later, without me paying extra. And even weirder, right now I am downloading Sleeping Dogs Demo and the speed seems to have gone up to 1.5 Mb/s.

So obviously I am confused. Could they have just made a mistake and just gave me more than I should have? Or are they doing periodic upgrades and I don't know? Did it happened to you?

No Caption Provided
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By grilledcheez

Sometimes they upgrade your speed over time so they aren't lagging too far behind the competition. It happened here awhile ago, but hasn't gone up since then. I wish I had the kind of speeds my friend has though (8mb/s on steam!)

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mtcantor

Dude I don't know what your company does! Anything is possible. Do they even offer the lower speed anymore?

I pay for shitty Comcast and even though internet speed test claims I get 15 m u/d, I'm lucky if I get 3 on steam.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By buft

@Grilledcheez said:

Sometimes they upgrade your speed over time so they aren't lagging too far behind the competition. It happened here awhile ago, but hasn't gone up since then. I wish I had the kind of speeds my friend has though (8mb/s on steam!)

I get about 7.5mb/s downloads on steam with my service unfortunately they throttle me at times making the overall value less than it originally seems, considering the cost of the service im not 100% thrilled with it

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By konig_kei

I get a full 900kbps on steam, you all jelly of my sweet speeds.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By grilledcheez

@buft said:

@Grilledcheez said:

I get about 7.5mb/s downloads on steam with my service unfortunately they throttle me at times making the overall value less than it originally seems, considering the cost of the service im not 100% thrilled with it

Throttling is the worst! I'm just bummed because on paper we have the same internet service, but since he's living in newer apartments he SPINS BRODIES around my download speed.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By buft

@Grilledcheez said:

@buft said:

@Grilledcheez said:

Throttling is the worst! I'm just bummed because on paper we have the same internet service, but since he's living in newer apartments he SPINS BRODIES around my download speed.

yeh on busy days i can get as low as 7kbs between 5pm and 9pm after that though its usually pretty good, main problem there though is thats the time the steam sale updates

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

So, I can safely bet you aren't getting internet from AT&T?

Have you tried calling them to confirm? Y'know, after you're done enjoying those higher speeds for a few days.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zeforgotten
@Grilledcheez said:

I hate your friend now. 
I only get 7MB/S on Steam and I thought that was alright. Your friend is now my mortal enemy and we must kung-fu fight! 
ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShockD

People in Romania get excited about 1,5MB/s? Interdasting.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By L44

Man if I got 1 a second I would be excited.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SexyToad

@mtcantor said:

Dude I don't know what your company does! Anything is possible. Do they even offer the lower speed anymore?

I pay for shitty Comcast and even though internet speed test claims I get 15 m u/d, I'm lucky if I get 3 on steam.

My down at max is 150 Kb/s.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By buzz_killington

I AM THE OWNER OF YOUR PROVIDER AND YOUR FREE RIDE IS OVER MISTER

KingofClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KingofClassy

I used to have 40 down and 2 up but they put me up to 10 up after a while for free.

I normally get 4.5mb on Steam between 5 and 6 on Origin but on one occasion I got 17.5mb on Steam (it only lasted like 20 mins)

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By TyCobb

They probably just upgraded and moved everyone up a tier. Some companies do this automatically so customers don't just up and leave when they see some commercial boasting about huge speeds. People are impulsive and don't usually contact the company beforehand asking if there's options to make their current connection faster. Anyone who has ever researched how companies like Comcast handle the connection from the server to their home know that it is just a configuration change to increase the speed.

Comcast will automatically boost their customers speed every year or so. 2 years ago I would get 10Mb/s max and slowly it started to rise. Currently I get anywhere from 18Mb/s to 30Mb/s.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Xeiphyer

There's a pretty big variance in what you actually get from your ISP, that speed is approximately double so that seems normal. Though I guess they forgot to turn off the extra speed haha.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PillClinton

Wait, wait, wait. 1.5MB/s is 12Mb/s, and you're saying they doubled your speed from 650Kb/s, or do you mean 650KB/s? Because double that is 1.3MB/s, which is just a little lower than what you're actually getting, so I don't see what's so interesting here.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FritzDude

You payed for a 650 Kb/s internet? I thought they all measured in bits. In that case you have a 5,2 Mbps internet, in download at least, which seems insane low for todays standards. My guess is that they just upgraded it for free because it was already draco.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Alexandru

@antikorper said:

People in Romania get excited about 1,5MB/s? Interdasting.

No, I get excited cuz I live in a rural area. People in the cities get 15Mb/s easily.