What do you think about Periscope?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Poll What do you think about Periscope? (262 votes)

It's great, give me more ways to see what people are doing! 12%
It's okay, I tune in sometimes when I'm bored. 22%
It's just another social media thing, I don't really care. 42%
It's weird, why are people doing this? 13%
It's the way the world will end. 13%

I've been seeing more ppl on GB using Periscope lately and I'm wondering if anyone cares at all about it. I'll post my thoughts on it later so as not to bias the voting. But I will leave you with this gif.

No Caption Provided

• 
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

"It's just another social media thing, I don't really care." That perfectly sums up my feelings. You basically wrote my comment for me :P

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By geirr

As far as I understand I can't view it on the PC since whenever I click a periscope link it just tells me to download periscope for IOS or android.

So basically It's just another social media thing, I don't really care.

Also like things that get archived since I'm rarely awake at this hour and if Periscope doesn't archive then I really dislike it.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr said:

As far as I understand I can't view it on the PC since whenever I click a periscope link it just tells me to download periscope for IOS or android.

So basically It's just another social media thing, I don't really care.

Also like things that get archived since I'm rarely awake at this hour and if Periscope doesn't archive then I really dislike it.

That's weird, I use it on PC. Also didn't know stuff gets archived. Maybe I'll go back and watch the E3 day 3 stuff they were messing around with =D

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's the end of civilisation as we know it, but it let's me watch Jeff Minter hang out with his sheep. I think we can all agree that's a small price to pay.

Spotty Ears is my favourite.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Seems okay. It's just another social media thing. I mean, the only "unique" thing about it is the forced portrait and the hearts right?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: Watching on PC only works when the stream is still active, AFAIK. And Archiving only works on the mobile apps, or when an enterprising fan uploads the video to Youtube.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff said:

@fobwashed: Watching on PC only works when the stream is still active, AFAIK. And Archiving only works on the mobile apps, or when an enterprising fan uploads the video to Youtube.

Oh, so that makes a lotta sense... Was wondering why I couldn't find anything =P thx

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I can't really say I don't care because I've tried to tune in after the fact on PC, so "It's weird, why are people doing this?" is my answer and burning desire. Just not burning hot enough to install it on my phone. But if the case is that it can be viewed live on PC, only it's never archived I'll have to lean towards "I don't really care."

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Couldn't you already stream video using your phone? Is that not pretty much already that? I don't know, people who do it for cool/useful things will be entertaining annnnd people who don't... well.. wont. Doesn't really bug me.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb said:

I can't really say I don't care because I've tried to tune in after the fact on PC, so "It's weird, why are people doing this?" is my answer and burning desire. Just not burning hot enough to install it on my phone. But if the case is that it can be viewed live on PC, only it's never archived I'll have to lean towards "I don't really care."

Well, it's a great and easy way for people to connect with their friends and followers and sharing a Kodak - or Periscope! - moment in real time. Imagine creatives sharing sneak peeks at upcoming works with their fans! Brands can do a quick Q&A with fans about their exciting new products! Reporters at the scene sharing breaking news! All the directness, spontaneity and engagement of livestreaming without the hassle. It even plugs into your existing fan base.

Also, this opens all kinds of avenues for people doing stupid stuff.

(Somewhere I missed a great career as pitch man.)

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Nime

It seems kind of cool to me, although I've yet to catch a single one live. I guess I don't spend enough time on Twitter since anytime I see one mentioned it has already been over for two hours.

I have Twitch on my second monitor all the time, so I guess it kind of suits my needs for streaming people constantly. Unless people are doing really cool shit I'll just stick to Twitch life.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

It's encouraging more of the abomination that is vertical phone videos. It is especially heinous when people put them up on youtube.

Pet peeve aside, could be cool for events, but not most of what I've seen so far.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Its a fad, like all the rest of these social media thingies. I'm content ignoring them all and letting weirdos like Dan have all the "fun"

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Tom_omb

@gaff: Fair enough, but I'm coming at it with the intent to see Dan Ryckert do something dumb, but keep missing it.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of see it like a visual form of Twitter. Instead of stream of thought you get stream of life.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it ends the world, but it's probably just another social media thing so I don't really care.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it. Where else can I watch Dan Ryckert buying Taco Bell or Michael Ian Black watching baseball?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't even understand how it works (I assume I have to install it on my phone which is why I don't because I'm not going to install it) so I just watch the archives of Giant Bomb peeps using it on youtube. I don't personally have a need to live stream myself yet. Maybe it'll be fun to use when I do Extra Life this year- if I can figure out how to live stream games. I'm behind on knowing how to set that up.

But anyway, ya it's a dumb fad. A kind of fun one, though. I liked when Giant Bomb were Periscoping the fire alarm incident that one time. That was legitimately cool how it turned into an "other side of the camera on a quick look" thing.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hmmmm, I'd never watch Dan Ryker's channel. But I'd be tempted to make a account to show how to paint for other art enthusiasts. That's how I see social media.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Seems like a good way for some SF startup to leech a couple billion from investors they'll never recoup.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I treat Periscope the same way I treat Facebook and Twitter. If someone links to something relevant I may click on it, but that's the extent of my involvement. The only thing I've ever watched on Periscope is when Dan went on a mission to Taco Bell looking for Diablo sauce.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

I treat Periscope the same way I treat Facebook and Twitter. If someone links to something relevant I may click on it, but that's the extent of my involvement. The only thing I've ever watched on Periscope is when Dan went on a mission to Taco Bell looking for Diablo sauce.

Did he end up liking the Diablo saunce? I had some of it today and I think I just like the fiery sauce better, just wish it was as hot.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By mike

@flasaltine: I think he did like it. I feel the same way as you do, I like the extra heat that the Diablo sauce has, but Fire has better flavor. Next time I go to Taco Bell, which will probably be next year some time, I'm going to mix Diablo and Fire and see how that goes.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Monkeyman04

@mb said:

I treat Periscope the same way I treat Facebook and Twitter. If someone links to something relevant I may click on it,

I'm kinda on the same boat. I only go to a periscope if someone posts it in the chat. and even then is if it's a GB staff member or friend of the site that is running it. I don't use twitter so I wouldn't know if anything is happening unless it's posted in the chat or if I see it on the main page staff twitter feed.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it! I'm a big fan of Samantha Kalman's Periscope because of the times she uses it for mini dev updates and to show bits and pieces from Invisible Arcade as it happens. And because of the hearts. <3

TN04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's cool if they're showing something of worth but if it's just buying food then it's just pointless really.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even know what it was until drew began to tweet something.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't really care about the thing outside of Giant Bomb, but if it offers avenues for Giant Bomb to produce more quality non-content, then great.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's stupid, but its fun. The toilet paper stream is periscope at its worst, but the ones at e3 were pretty cool.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MindBullet

It was kind of inevitable in the world of social media. It seems kind of like the love child of Vine and Ustream. It can be used for some interesting stuff sure, and I'll admit I tuned in to see Dan and the guys drive to E3, but at the end of the day it's mostly people livestreaming themselves kind of doing nothing but their daily routine and that sort of weirds me out.

JYoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have zero desire to watch Dan or anyone else on their daily routine, but I guess people are watching and geting something out of it, so whatever. I've wasted plenty of time betting fake money on saltybet, so do what you wanna do.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's just the latest social media trend from the bay area which is full of delusional people riding the bubble.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jyoung said:

I have zero desire to watch Dan or anyone else on their daily routine, but I guess people are watching and geting something out of it, so whatever. I've wasted plenty of time betting fake money on saltybet, so do what you wanna do.

You haven't lived until you've listened to Jeff's daily commute on mixlr.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's cool to be able to view a random stream from around the world. Having said that I've been too late for almost every periscope I've seen advertised on twitter, which is probably 30+. The only one I saw live was Dan buying Taco Bell.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: I think the actual Periscope archives only stay up for about a day, but the fine duder/s at Giant Bomb Unarchived on YouTube should have you covered. That's where I watch all their Periscopes.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I didn't even know what Periscope is until this thread.

...I'll probably continue to ignore it.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's hilarious. Every time I've seen Dan's stream live it has around 500-700 people watching.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I think it's going to make the dudes who made it a tonne of money whenever Facebook ultimately comes along and buys it up.

Other than that, it's just another social media thing, I don't really care about it.

*EDIT*

Just found out that Twitter already bought it for $100,000,000 earlier this year.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's annoying because it has massively reduced functionality for PC users.

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used it for a few days but quickly realized it was a waste of time, I only care about the GB ones and they always get posted separately anyway

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bacongames

I always feel like I miss the moment when they go live and that can be frustrating. I think the idea is brilliant but I haven't been able to catch a stream yet. Maybe there's a way to setup notifications for periscope tweets from people I follow? Anyone know how I might do that on Android?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

666TheGame666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had no idea what it was until I saw the drive to E3 from last week. To me I just see it as another social media platform I don't have a whole lot of interest in.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ignore as much portrait mode video as I can - since Periscope locks you into portrait mode, I'll just ignore it.

If I need to watch someone cooking, there are so many informative, interesting, and edited videos done by skilled cooks that I don't need to watch someone spend 30 minutes fumbling around their kitchen.

vsharres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best part about this poll is that all of the votes are cast in what appears to be a standard distribution.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not checked it out yet.. I don't really plan too either..

slowhanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bacongames said:

I always feel like I miss the moment when they go live and that can be frustrating. I think the idea is brilliant but I haven't been able to catch a stream yet. Maybe there's a way to setup notifications for periscope tweets from people I follow? Anyone know how I might do that on Android?

The app has direct support for notifications from people you follow on twitter.