What if it snowed in san Fransisco>? Real talk.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Feathered

So I remember when there was a big rain or something in Califronia and everybody was losing their shit but Dan didn't even care because he puts up with that stuff all the time in Montana or wherever he's from.

The rain passed and I didn't hear too much about it afterwards, so it seems like it wasnt that big of a deal. But I was sipping some lemonade and it got me thinking, people don't really care about rain because it's just little droplets, but what if there was a big snow in a city like San Franscisco ?

This would be a major disaster. People aren't used to that kind of weather over there, and chaos would surely ensue. People underestimate snow and what it can do if left unchecked. Roads slippery, buildings covered in the stuff, coldness and slippery roads.

No Caption Provided

Something like this, but on a much more massive scale and a lot more severe. The bridge would probably have some structural issues because of heavy snowed piling on it, and the wires would snap from the frigid air. Where does that leave everyone, then? Trapped on this snowy death island with no where to go, because the oceans have frozen over. You can't just hop on a ship and sail away.

I know California is dealing with their water shortage issues, but this is something that needs to be researched. A contingency plan is going to be essential

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I cannot tell if this is satire.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: well Im just saying. I saw this movie "The Day after Tomorrow" and something similar happened to New York

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Let me in on the big secret. Are you trying to troll in the most subtle way possible? Just looking for some attention? You gotta tell me, Im a cop.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@71ranchero: I created this thread so yeah i want at least one comment, but you don't have to like my ideas or anything.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real talk: nothing would happen to the bridge.

Yes, virtually the entire city would have to shut down until the sun melts the snow. You'd never get up and down the hills with snow there. But note the city is not actually an island, it's on a peninsula. Not that that matters much. Ships work just fine after a snowfall, they might be a good way to get stuff in and out.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

jsgr93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jsgr93

Dan is from Kansas. By the way, enjoying your new PC?

Freelancer52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Jonny Moseley would try to ski down the golden gate bridge (skip to 1:05)

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

I'm sure people would lose their shit and there would be a dramatic increase in car crashes (considering that is basically what happens here in Oregon, and we do get snow every now and then) but I think you might be being a little overdramatic with that last part. It would have to be like world ending snowstorm to collapse a bridge like that.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By InternetDotCom

When I lived near LA it briefly snowed one day and every one I knew flipped out like we were all going to die.

As someone from Boston I called all these people insane. Basically people in California aren't equipped to deal with actual real weather. I enjoy Northeast weather way more than California weather

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

it would be like mad max, but with snow.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Devil came from Kansas- Procol Harum

It's snowed before in the Bay area. But maybe it was 20 or so years ago, come to think. It never last long

We sure need rain or something like...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Does the rest of America basically think Californians are a bunch of city slickers who don't know how to handle themselves around the elements?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I thought it did snow there. I mean, you even posted photographic evidence of it.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it did snow there. I mean, you even posted photographic evidence of it.

Nope its a photoshop. Thats actually a picture of Boston but he added in the Golden Gate bridge to make it look like it is snowing is San Francisco.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#17  Edited By isomeri

It seems like Americans can't handle snow even in the more rural parts of the country, so getting some in SF would probably be a national disaster. Buy some snow tires people!

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes, virtually the entire city would have to shut down until the sun melts the snow. You'd never get up and down the hills with snow there.

Could you imagine the people dealing with the black ice afterward?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, I occasionally work with someone from Georgie over the phone. They had some rain that froze, leaving a little bit of ice on the roads. Everyone lost their shit and it took people 10 times longer to get home.

Why? The city was underprepared. No salt, no trucks, really nothing you need because they never really needed it. So San Francisco would probably lose their shit, and all those hills probably would lead to chaos.

In other words, Giant Bomb would probably stream some crap from home instead.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bisonhero said:

Does the rest of America basically think Californians are a bunch of city slickers who don't know how to handle themselves around the elements?

Yes.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'd imagine It'd be pretty cold.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@oldirtybearon said:

@bisonhero said:

Yes.

It's not that they don't know how to handle the elements, it's that the infrastructure is not equipped to deal with it. I doubt San Fran has a fleet of salting trucks and snow plows at the ready, without those roads become incredibly dangerous. An even worse scenario is say there was a big rainfall then a sudden drop in temp were to cause a flash freeze. That happened in my little city of Halifax, a city that is absolutely prepared for these exact weather conditions but the rate and coverage of the freezing still shutdown the major highways for the entire day. There were 80 car crashes in morning alone.

I'm not sure if it's this way in San Fran, but when i visited LA all the roads had those headlight reflectors that jut up from the road all over the highways, these would make it impossible to plow even if there were enough plows to clear the streets.

The Golden Gate bridge would be fine though, those "wires" are cables of galvanized steel, 3.5 inches in diameter.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By mike

So in your last three topics we have:

1. A picture of "your" PC with a fleshlight "accidentally" left in the frame and then hastily photoshopped out.

2. A thread about how to get your cat to stop sleeping in the sink.

3. A discussion about needing a contingency plan in case it snows in San Francisco.

Stop posting garbage.