What is the appeal of Mudding?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So a couple of friends on my facebook seem completely infatuated with the act of mudding, which is the act of taking your vehicle outside, driving through the mud and covering said vehicle in mud. I personally do not understand it at all and was wondering if a couple of you duders could help give me some context to it. It appears only country kids seem to go out mudding, but I can't fathom why. Is it fun driving through the mud? Is the caked mud on your vehicle like a badge of honor? What the fudge is up with mudding?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well it can be fun to drive in challenging conditions.

Plus if you live in the country i'd imagine you'd get bored alot.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

Well, according to wikipedia it's a type of racing. Winners are judged by how much of the mud they are able to cross or alternatively how fast they cross the entire length.

I've never done it but I also imagine the feeling of driving through mud is oddly satisfying, kind of similar to kneading your hands in dough.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

@clonedzero said:

That's what I always figured, except now there's the internet and access to so much stuff that if you're ever bored again, you're doing it wrong.

Oh, also there's a lot of alcohol and inter-family/friend drama at those things which I'm pretty sure is the actual draw for most people. The more up-and-up events are actually shadowed by the police now, with officers stationed for obvious reasons. Of course I would imagine that means there are plenty more "underground" events because those are also the type of people to be constantly saying "fuck the police" so I'd imagine they wouldn't want an officer around.

Keep in mind this is all second-hand information gathered from living in a cultural sinkhole. Can't say I've ever wanted to actually go to one of those things.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Franstone

I had a jeep for a while and loved whenever I had a chance to take it off-road.
Pretty sure "mudding" is a southern term though.
Had no idea it was an actual race until this thread.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@franstone: It's also a northeast thing. Vermont/New Hampshire at least.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well NASCAR was taken away from the fans and got cleaned up for Madison Ave, so people moved to what they perceive as more authentic.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legend of the Red Dragon or Usurper were my favorite MUDs back in the day.

I imagine mudding is a lot like driving on freshly fallen snow. It's fun to be out of control, yet totally in control of your car. Back when I was one of those damn kids, I would take my Mustang out in the freshly fallen snow and sling it around corners, drive down streets side ways, and do donuts.

That also explains why I've seen a few cars on campus up here in the midwest that have a layer of adobe like clay permanently plastered to the front ends.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@andrewb said:

@franstone: It's also a northeast thing. Vermont/New Hampshire at least.

It's a global thing, as with most things these days,

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahaha! I thought this was a thread about MUDding and came in here prepared to rant about how awesome they are even though they've mostly been replaced by the MMORPG.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@zelyre said:

Legend of the Red Dragon or Usurper were my favorite MUDs back in the day.

Thank you for talking about what I thought this tread was actually about.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Franstone

@andrewb: I am from the North East! : )
Sure as hell never heard anyone say that word up here.
I've just heard it said on TV and usually (every time) it's coming from someone with a southern accent.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MannyMAR

When I lived in south Florida a few friends and I would go mudding near the Everglades. Basically we'd just take 4x4 pickups, ATVs, and the sort after a good rain and just drive through an improvised course sliding all over the place. Pretty much all the fun just comes from power sliding and hydroplaning while maintaining control over your vehicle. Think of it as an Off-Road Drifting event.

Edit: I wanted to add, cleaning up the rides after mudding is probably the most chill thing to do. Especially since really all you're doing is shooting the shit and knocking back brews with the other drivers. Also bring a winch if you get urge, but that should be common sense.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I dunno about cars. I played a lot of GodWars/GodWars variants back in the day. I've been seriously considering starting a subscription to Gemstone IV, too.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine driving without traffic laws. Now imagine doing that while driving over houses and sliding out on every corner. Mix in the awesome feeling of being out in the woods, perhaps a campfire with some burnt hot dogs.

Half the fun stems from actually working on the trucks or bikes. You ever built an awesome gaming pc? The feeling you get when the Bios boots up for the first time is exactly like kicking over a dirt bike after jetting the carbs or changing out a piston.

aButton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Cuz it's rude as shit, motherfucker. Why is anything fun? Because it's dirty and different and cool. Whatever!!!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought people do it socially in order to find some....muddy buddies...

virtualpolecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do you think Spintires is a game?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

The mud symbolizes Jesus and the more mud you get covered in the more Jesus loves you.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not go with your friends & find out for yourself?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You mean going out for a rip?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GiantLizardKing

I believe the term is Muddin'

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you could call them Muddy Buddies?

CountryGal03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb said:
@clonedzero said:

That's what I always figured, except now there's the internet and access to so much stuff that if you're ever bored again, you're doing it wrong.

Oh, also there's a lot of alcohol and inter-family/friend drama at those things which I'm pretty sure is the actual draw for most people. The more up-and-up events are actually shadowed by the police now, with officers stationed for obvious reasons. Of course I would imagine that means there are plenty more "underground" events because those are also the type of people to be constantly saying "fuck the police" so I'd imagine they wouldn't want an officer around.

Keep in mind this is all second-hand information gathered from living in a cultural sinkhole. Can't say I've ever wanted to actually go to one of those things.

Not everybody is an internet fanatic. There's some of us out there who prefer the outdoors to the internet. We may get on here every now then, but sure the not not all the damn time. The internet can get boring pretty damn fast, especially if you're more of an outdoors person than somebody who sits in front of a computer screen all damn day.

As far as the rest goes, I'm not sure, because I never been in that situation despite having gone mudding before.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By mike