What would be an effective way to sound proof a small area?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I ask this because I've recently starting streaming. I do so in my living room, which is an open space. My bedroom is around 20-25 feet (rough guess) away from my computer. Now currently since it's hot out we have the AC on in the bedroom and in the living room, which helps drown out my voice when speaking. The issue comes when the door to my bedroom is open and she's sleeping or vice versa.

Basically I just want to contain my/her voice (just talking. not singing or playing an instrument) to the computer area so it doesn't wake any of us. The only solution I could come up with, which is probably a dumb one, is to buy a room divider and sort of close myself off or make it like a barrier around me and put some sound proof foam on it or something. I can't imagine that would be terribly effective though. Any suggestions?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

The only solution I can think of is to soundproof the entire bedroom and then keep the door closed when you're making a bunch of noise. That, or she can try wearing earplugs, but that suggestion probably wouldn't go over so well.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depending on your arrangements it might be extremely expensive / impractical to soundproof it. But foam on the walls will help absorb sound and all that, keeping the door closed, that kinda jazz.

If you have window AC's maybe you could turn down the fan speed o them, that drastically cuts down on the noise they make, if its at night then you probably dont need it going full blast, i'd hope at least unless you live in some horrible place. hanging blankets could also help absorb the sound if you wanna go all ghetto on it.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drape yourself in blankets like some sort of shitty ghost.

Your room divider idea might work? Maybe? I'm no scientist. If you could close the bedroom door, that'd probably be the most effective way to stop it, honestly.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carpet squares are cheap and usually do a decent job. However they are ugly as sin.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

The only solution I can think of is to soundproof the entire bedroom and then keep the door closed when you're making a bunch of noise. That, or she can try wearing earplugs, but that suggestion probably wouldn't go over so well.

Yeah it wouldn't...lol. Like I said right now it's alright with the door closed and two AC's loud and kicking, but when the days come when they won't be on and the door is open, that's the tricky part.

Carpet squares are cheap and usually do a decent job. However they are ugly as sin.

I'm guessing those are exactly what they sound like? So I could just use those potentially to block some sound?

I'll have to take a picture or something of the setup so you can get a feel of the distance and whatnot.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: scrap carpeting from your local flooring company. Yep it's what it sounds like.

General idea is to hang it from walls, and have on the floor. If you happen to have a closet you don't need for storage they can be deadened really easily with carpet and or foam. (rooster teeth was doing this for awhile with the early RvB stuff)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Do you want it cheap or do you want it very very effective & attractive?

The cheap way: if you don't care about the wall, just use a few push-pins to hang special acoustical egg-crate foam...THAT IS FIRE RETARDANT...to hang. You would probably only need 1 inch think foam. Enough to cover 10 Sq feet is $70-$80. DO NOT BUY CHEAP FOAM...it must be Flammability UL-94 (Self Extinguishing) foam. BTW: Do not use candles, cigarettes, incense, or 'toke-up' in your room even if you have safe foam.

More expensive: You can buy acoustical tiles/panels meant for walls, they will be fireproof and will come in various sizes. They will look nicer but will cost far, far more.

Whatever you do be safe! I knew a dude who died in his dorm room because he had shit on his walls. His room when up like a god-damn wood-stove because he had blankets, tapestries and posters on his walls. Anything you use needs to be fire retardant and self extinguishing....BUT that just mean you might get 40 seconds to RUN if something lights up...

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By joshwent

@kishinfoulux: A quick tip (which might be obvious or you already know but I didn't when I had a similar problem):

Sound dampening foam only works because of its density. The egg crate shaped foam that you see in studios (like the c-net studio where they record the Bombcast) works to disperse sound waves, but that just means reducing echo. That helps your sound quality (if it's surrounding you), but it doesn't really reduce the decibles. So if you go for that stuff, or anyhting similar, make sure you get a specific sound proofing product (and try to find reviews!).

Also, something like a single barrier in the room doesn't seem like it would do much to reduce the noise. If there are gaps, the sound gets through.

I'm sure there are some solutions, but I guess I just wanted to let you know that, in my experience at least, stopping sound can be a lot harder than it seems.

Could you try to just your microphone volume up and speak more quietly?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you want it cheap or do you want it very very effective & attractive?

The cheap way: if you don't care about the wall, just use a few push-pins to hang special acoustical egg-crate foam...THAT IS FIRE RETARDANT...to hang. You would probably only need 1 inch think foam. Enough to cover 10 Sq feet is $70-$80. DO NOT BUY CHEAP FOAM...it must be Flammability UL-94 (Self Extinguishing) foam. BTW: Do not use candles, cigarettes, incense, or 'toke-up' in your room even if you have safe foam.

More expensive: You can buy acoustical tiles/panels meant for walls, they will be fireproof and will come in various sizes. They will look nicer but will cost far, far more.

Whatever you do be safe! I knew a dude who died in his dorm room because he had shit on his walls. His room when up like a god-damn wood-stove because he had blankets, tapestries and posters on his walls. Anything you use needs to be fire retardant and self extinguishing....BUT that just mean you might get 40 seconds to RUN if something lights up...

Now I'm terrified I'm gonna burn the house down. >_>

@joshwent said:

@kishinfoulux: A quick tip (which might be obvious or you already know but I didn't when I had a similar problem):

Sound dampening foam only works because of its density. The egg crate shaped foam that you see in studios (like the c-net studio where they record the Bombcast) works to disperse sound waves, but that just means reducing echo. That helps your sound quality (if it's surrounding you), but it doesn't really reduce the decibles. So if you go for that stuff, or anyhting similar, make sure you get a specific sound proofing product (and try to find reviews!).

Also, something like a single barrier in the room doesn't seem like it would do much to reduce the noise. If there are gaps, the sound gets through.

I'm sure there are some solutions, but I guess I just wanted to let you know that, in my experience at least, stopping sound can be a lot harder than it seems.

Could you try to just your microphone volume up and speak more quietly?

Hmmmm...I wasn't aware of that. Are you aware of any such products?

I speak pretty low as is. I guess the real test will come when Summer is over, the AC's are off and the doors are open again. Right now they are my greatest ally.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hmmmm...I wasn't aware of that. Are you aware of any such products?

Not specifically, but as always, the internet knows all. I found this wonderful tutorial right now after just doing one YouTube search:

Loading Video...

Ok, honestly, don't do that. I don't think that insulating foam would even stop sound very well (it's temperature insulation). Just couldn't resist showing off this dude's random hatred for Tecmo Bowl.

Really though, just keep looking around. There are lots of soundproofing business's sites that go into detail about their products. A lot of that stuff is pretty expensive, but remember, the best sound proofing is for bands with tons of loud amps and even rooms with loud machinery, so just being a person talking into a mic you'd probably get by with the cheaper (less effective) options.

And give google a general look. There may even be some forum for sound proofing. Consumer advice is always better than a business's, as they're the ones who have tried all the stuff and can give their honest impressions as opposed to people saying what they can to sell you something.

As others have mentioned, DIY options could be good too on the cheap. Carpet squares (stacked in multiple layers for more density) could work. And you could even go to some carpet stores and ask if they have any scraps or old samples you could take for free. Just, again, try to find other people's real experiences with those kind of materials before you put the effort in yourself.

Or, of course... move out so your mom isn't a problem. ;)

Good luck!

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Loading Video...

I'm reminded in Building the Bastion part 3 (7:48), they recorded Logan Cunningham in a closet with thick blankets. But actually a lot of voice actors do the same thing for their own portfolio work. What you can do is with 15 bucks shower curtains bars line them around the small room and use something thick like a comforter or beach towels. Since they are adjustable shower curtain rods you can take them off and have the room all presentable.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wish I could help, but I find soundproofing to be a ... baffling... endeavor.

Eh? Ehhhh?

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

I wish I could help, but I find soundproofing to be a ... baffling... endeavor.

Eh? Ehhhh?

Not your best work, but nice effort nonetheless.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The Station nightclub fire was the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, killing 100 people. The fire began at 11:07 PM EST, on Thursday, February 20, 2003, at The Station, aglam metal and rock and roll themed nightclub located at 211 Cowesett Avenue in West Warwick, Rhode Island.

The fire was caused by pyrotechnics set off by the tour manager of the evening's headlining band, Jack Russell's Great White, which ignited flammable sound insulation foam in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. A fast-moving fire engulfed the club in 5½ minutes. In addition to the 100 fatalities, 230 people were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured.

@kishinfoulux said:

@monkeyking1969 said:

BTW: Do not use candles, cigarettes, incense, or 'toke-up' in your room even if you have safe foam.

M

Now I'm terrified I'm gonna burn the house down. >_>

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By hermes

Blankets, carpets or towels is the most economic idea, but I don't know how feasible it is since you complained about the heat on your first post...

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cloudnineboya

egg boxes .

MassiveMix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MassiveMix

Unfortunately, density is the only thing that will kill sound travel. If you're good with a saw perhaps you could save a few bucks and make something like:

No Caption Provided

Probably MDF board. Something thick n heavy.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Egg Cartons \m/ and thick sheets of polistirine stuck to the wall

colin_lashley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in the GB studio where they film unprofessional fridays, old video game show, what are the boards brand name?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Murder everyone. If there is no one there to hear the sound, there never was any sound = soundproof.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine two-year-old-thread problem has been solved, but I'd like to throw my vote in for a motorcycle helmet with a contact mic inside.