Where do you go to talk film?

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I miss Screened a whole lot. I contributed more to single Cliche pages on that Wiki than I have to the entire GB Wiki. I hemmed and hawed for a week in building my Top 100 Favorite Films. It was also the place where the same great GB community could nerd out about movies. Sadly, all that is no more, but I choose to believe that some of those duders went off to find new homes, and I'd like to join in from time to time.

So where do you go to talk about movies? I'm looking for forums/community sites that most closely resemble the attitude of GB: no up-its-own-ass, hyper-pretentious, "oh, the propensity and calamity of ART™" nonsense. Just folks who like movies talkin' 'bout movies. Nerding out over symbolic interpretations, sharing examples of their favorite "perfect frame," or just talking mess about some dumb straight-to-streaming trash that nobody actually cares about, that sort of thing.

I love film and I love talking about it, so any pointers to some cool communities would be a huge help.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't post there but the forums at quartertothree

https://forum.quartertothree.com/c/movies

are a mellow place to lurk around and catch up on the buzz about new movies for me. Plus the owner (Tom Chick) does movie podcasts regularly. Give him a chance if you don't like his game reviews (they can be hit and miss) because he's pretty good at talking movies.

Avatar image for girlsdoitbetter
girlsdoitbetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It was IMDb, but now, it's nowhere, really.

God, how I miss the IMDb forums.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Sadly, /tv/

It's the worst

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Rotten Tomatoes seems to have a pretty active message board, I have not browsed it much myself though. There are also a few Discord servers that are about discussing movies and shows, so you can maybe try searching for some https://www.discordservers.com

@matoya: I would not recommend anyone lurk or post on /tv/ if you care for your sanity. I spent too much time there for years, and I regret that now. That goes for the majority of 4chan and most other imageboards.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If this counts as spam then please nuke it, but I'm a moderator over here - www.movieforums.com

It's an established, friendly, vibrant place. Most of the time. ;)

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LetterBoxd I suppose, but even that I use as a film diary and catalog, not exactly to have conversations.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

baldmove.com is probably exactly what you want. Unfortunately, it's mostly TV focused. It's a podcast based site and they usually cover the bigger movies that come out and a couple times a month will cover an older movie that has been commissioned by the community. They have a movies section on their forums and good discussions can be had there, but you'll likely have to start those discussions.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to go to screened but that got shot to hell.... I miss that site more than most.

I could never get into Reddit, for anything really.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever you do don't go to the AVClub. It's just a cesspool of the worst people online.

Too bad cause it used to be a decent website at some point.

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not surprised to see Reddit suggested, but my problem with Reddit is that it's not really a community; it's just a bunch of random people interested in this ONE specific thing and there's no reason to be invested. Admittedly I'm not much of a "community engagement guy" here, but at least I know when I do chime in everybody is on the same page.

@dave_tacitus: I will definitely check this place out. A quick glance sure looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tonyblue87: I've been a member for well over a decade. Don't post as much as I used to (although I try to keep the video games thread alive) since becoming an admin but it's a great place and welcoming of new members. We picked up a lot of refugees from the IMBD boards after they shut down.

Yoshisaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't go for discussion, but for video reviews and other film related video features, I like Double Toasted and Red Letter Media.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Comment section of Birth Movies Death.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WynnDuffy

@girlsdoitbetter said:

It was IMDb, but now, it's nowhere, really.

God, how I miss the IMDb forums.

Me too

It was my favourite place to check when a finale of a TV show seemed like a piece of shit and I wanted to see how many others thought the same

They even scrapped user reviews I think, I liked those..

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a huge fan of The Dissolve. Even though that website is no more, the facebook group is quite active and pleasant.