Where do you stand with the later two Alien films? (discounting Prometheus)

• 83 results
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Edited By Yummylee

Poll Where do you stand with the later two Alien films? (discounting Prometheus) (125 votes)

I like Alien3, but dislike Alien Resurrection. 34%
I like Alien Resurrection, but dislike Alien3. 11%
I like both Alien3 and Alien Resurrection. 16%
I dislike both Alien3 and Alien Resurrection. 23%
RESULTS! 15%

So given the release of Colonial Marines, talk about the Aliens series in general has sorta opened up again a little. Though because I had already rewatched both Alien and Aliens recently on bluray, I decided to finally give Alien3 a watch while also refreshing my opinion with Resurrection, which I hadn't seen for an awfully long time anywhoo.

Most discussions for the series are usually Alien vs Aliens--which, btw, I'd probably side with Aliens in that regard; the actual alien creature in Alien looks pretty goofy and doesn't hold up exceptionally well--I think it'd be neat to actually talk about the later two films. Of course there's plenty of reasons why everyone looks to the first two rather than the latter, but I'm curious all the same.

I should first note that the version was the 2003 edit, but even still, Alien3 just... Goddamn, that film is so damn messy. The fact that it went through all of these rewrites and all this tampering definitely shows as it's just all over the place. They capture the alien for like 2 minutes, but oh no then it's released again! The majority of the characters are all kinda lame, which is unfortunate because getting us to somehow sympathise with a load of murderers and rapists could have been an incredible achievement. But there's stuff like that weird attempted rape scene, and there's that incredibly disorientating and confusing scene near the end where they're all trying to lure the alien through a specific series of corridors. I actually did like the first... 20 minutes or so, primarily because of Charles Dance's character, the overall aftermath of Ripley coming to terms with the deaths of Hicks and Newt, and the overall slice of tension as you're just waiting for when the inevitable alien birth happens.

However, pretty much as soon as Ripley shaves her hair it just all falls apart. Scenes where people die just so damned awkward, where you're often just seeing a pair of legs dangling at the top of the shot for a short while, and again they do a really poor job in giving a lot of the characters any actual character. The black guy was somewhat OK, and his pep talk nearing the end was well done. I also believe that killing Hicks and Newt from the very start is fucking ballsy, which in itself I couldn't help but admire. Plus Newt's autopsy, even though you don't see much, was incredibly uncomfortable.

Alien 3 is kinda tragic in that you can tell there was a good movie in there somewhere. The whole religion angle and the fact that none of the cast hasn't seen a woman in years surely has some parables there, too. In fact pieces of the story are good, and the way this was looking to take it back to the much slower paced horror film style of the original was a neat gesture, too. Not to mention that introducing the real Bishop was a great cameo at the end there. Effects wise it's hit and miss; the actual practical effects are superb, especially what remains of android Bishop. But then you see the squirrelly alien thing CGI and it all crumbles. Plus, I think they shown the critter far too early, and not to mention the way they shot it made it look more adorable most of the time than intimidating.

I understand that Alien 3 isn't wholly liked anywhoo so I'm preaching to the choir as it is, but yeah, I'm still glad that I've seen it all the same.

Now Resurrection on the other hand, I think is a totally fine action movie. In fact I'd say it's genuinely pretty good, without any irony! Sure, it's pretty much just a lesser Aliens when it comes down to it, but the acting is alright, it's shot really well, it's got some fun characters in there (one of Ron Pearlman's best no doubt), and the new uber-Ripley was kinda cool, even if that stupid ''who do I have to fuck to get off this ship'' line was so baaaaaaaaaad. So sosovery bad. That human/alien hybrid is so damned creepy, too, and the way it just slices off the queen's face off was a totally ''oh, shit!'' moment. Also, the way it gets killed is one of the most horrifyingscenes across the entire franchise. I mean Good Lord, that scream.

Plus I always tend to enjoy these kinds of gory action films that feature a ragtag motley crew, sorta like Deep Fear. Though I should also note that it's been a very long time since I've seen Deep Fear, so while I can at least remember it being really stupid, I'm not entirely sure whether I'd still like it even as a guilty pleasure. Judging by what I can remember currently, however, it's nosa bad!

Back to Resurrection, though... Yeah, just, I can't help it. I still like that movie! Especially thanks to the scenes where the 2 aliens kill the other so as they can use its blood to escape (''fast learners''), or when Ripley is toying with Ron Pearlman with the basketball.

Complaints would be there's a disappointingly little amount of Michael Wincott across the film, and for him to be taken down in such a rote manner -- oh, I heard a strange noise; guess I'll go check it out all on my lonesome!. And for as great as he was in Breaking Bad, Raymond Cruz's dumb soldier guy character was a bit too goofy even for my tastes. Also, kinda of a strange ending. I mean by throwing the ship into Earth like that... that's killing a bloody shitload of people there. Or is the entire place a wasteland anyway? I mean they clearly didn't want the aliens to arrive on Earth, which infers that there's a population there, yet they were still completely OK with having it explode across like what looked like a pretty sizeable chunk of the planet? The guy in the wheelchair was kinda rubbish, too. I'm pretty sure he was only put in there because he's a friend of the director or something, though.

Overall, I think Resurrection is a fun, utterly gross and surprisingly engaging action movie. Alien3 clearly had potential, but unfortunately got muddled across the production.

• 
Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I still claim to this day that Alien 3 is the best one in the series. Or at the very least, extremely underrated. It feels like many went in to see it after seeing (the much more) Action-packed Aliens, and saw the movie going back to a more haunting and spooky feel of the first movie, and went "wtf is this?! Where are dem guns?!".

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Yummylee

@cincaid said:

I still claim to this day that Alien 3 is the best one in the series. Or at the very least, extremely underrated. It feels like many went in to see it after seeing (the much more) Action-packed Aliens, and saw the movie going back to a more haunting and spooky feel of the first movie, and went "wtf is this?! Where are dem guns?!".

That's not at all why I didn't like Alien3. In fact I was looking forward to it knowing that it was sort of a return to the first Alien. But the best one?! mang, u loco.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

Its been a while since I have seen 3 and I don't think I've seen the changed version, I own it twice on dvd/br... I should probably get around to doing so at some point. I think its ok. As a sequel to the best movie ever made it is a huge, huge failure.

Resurrection is a weird, weird thing. It is easily the goriest of the bunch, and watched as a dumb, gory horror film it could even be seen as fun. Jeunet/Whedon were really the wrong combination of people for the series. I think it's a gorgeous film, really stylish. I remember having a conversation about this with someone on screened... it feels very French. I think its enjoyable when taken as something separate from the other three. The Face/chest alien birth at the ending is gloriously violent/funny and some of the quirky moments like Winona Ryder trying to drink with boxing gloves on or the basketball sequence are kinda great.

Michael Wincott in anything is always a plus.

edit - also... best use of "From the director of..." on a box ever

No Caption Provided

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Both Alien 3 and Resurrection are The Big Poop. Ugh.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@yummylee: Sorry, didn't want to imply that you specifically didn't like it because of that (truth be told, I didn't even read your post!). :)

And yeh mang, I am loco!

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Alien 3 is way better than Aliens but not as good as Alien.

Alien Resurrection isn't very good but Ron Perlman is in it so it's cool.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HH

alien 3, the extended cut with the extra 20 mins is pretty great. fincher's first film, lovingly crafted. popular opinion got whitewashed early on. popular opinion is just plain wrong roughly half the time, but it's carried along with a blinding force. scary.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I can appreciate Alien 3. It's not a "good" movie but it's serviceable. It feels aimless and inconsistent in the narrative. Visually and tonally Alien 3 is striking, but where it counts (in the characters and the story) the pieces just don't fit together like they did in Alien and Aliens.

Alien Resurrection on the other hand is just fucking awful. Don't ever waste your time with that nonsense.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I stand in having zero interest in watching either of them.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By shivermetimbers

Alien 3 is kinda a mixed bag for me. It's a film that looks great, but doesn't really look like Alien/Aliens or feel like it for that matter. It basically doesn't make any sense that there would be an alien egg in the beginning of the film (because weren't the aliens exterminated in Aliens?). I would have to re-watch the films again to get a clear cut opinion as I'm just going on first impressions here.

I will say this: I think Alien 3, like Halloween 3 is being unfairly criticized for being different. That's no reason to hate a film, IMO.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

Alien 3 is way better than Aliens

O____________________________________________________________O

LALALALALA I'M NOT HEARING THIS

@hh said:

alien 3, the extended cut with the extra 20 mins is pretty great. fincher's first film, lovingly crafted. popular opinion got whitewashed early on. popular opinion is just plain wrong roughly half the time, but it's carried along with a blinding force. scary.

Lovingly crafted? From what I understand Fincher hated making the movie and wasn't involved in the 2003 edit. And no, I will never be able to understand how anyone could classify Alien 3 as being great. I've still got it fresh in my mind and that film was just a mess, so many scenes that look like they were directed by an amateur and there were so many of these convict characters that I could not simply not give a single shit towards. Not because they're convicts, but because I didn't even know the names of any of them besides... Dillon, I think? The black guy with the glasses.

Parts of the film seem roughly edited, too. I can remember one scene where Ripley goes down to check if the alien really won't attack her, and as it comes towards her the screen goes black, she's questioned by the medical officer what happened or something, and she said she went downstairs to check if the alien would attack her an hour ago. I mean... it all looked so incredibly rushed. Then there was the scene where the jailer gets pulled up by the alien in the cafeteria, but it all happened so sloppily; there was no quick hint or ominous calling card, like watching the alien drop its tail behind him or something, it just kinda happens, but at the same time it wasn't shocking. It didn't give me a jolt, it just... happened and I was left feeling confused. And again, the scenes where some of the convicts get picked off I'd go as far as to say are terrible.

That's not say I think the entire film is bad or anything, Like I said in my OP, roughly around the first 20 minutes I kinda liked. I enjoyed getting to know the surroundings and the incredibly dreary atmosphere of it all, and of course Charles Dance. Just gives one of those naturally believable performances.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are both decent films. I think the temptation a lot of people have is to compare them to the first two, in which case they are always going to come out looking bad due to the fact that Alien and Aliens are two of the greatest movies ever made.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ravenlight

I think they're both okay. Not anywhere as good as Alien or Aliens but not so bad they're bad. I thought Prometheus was a better film overall than the last two movies in the series.

I may be a bad person for this but I liked Alien^3 because it killed off Newt. I have a serious dislike for children in movies and I think Aliens would have been a stronger movie if Newt was a cat or something.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can appreciate Alien 3. It's not a "good" movie but it's serviceable. It feels aimless and inconsistent in the narrative. Visually and tonally Alien 3 is striking, but where it counts (in the characters and the story) the pieces just don't fit together like they did in Alien and Aliens.

Alien Resurrection on the other hand is just fucking awful. Don't ever waste your time with that nonsense.

Well IIIIIII liked it. More than I guessed I would in fact and I found it to be a rather fun action movie. Kinda shlocky and perhaps a lot more B-movie-esque than the other three (such as having one character, Michael Wincott's girlfriend, who's sole characteristic is her ass courtesy of that one particular shot), but it's at the very least watchable.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By shivermetimbers

Here we go. Dunno if anyone watched this yet. Don't say I agree with it. But hopefully it offers a different viewpoint.

EDIT embed didn't work...so http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/movie-defense-force/6678-Alien-3

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@oldirtybearon said:

Well IIIIIII liked it. More than I guessed I would in fact and I found it to be a rather fun action movie. Kinda shlocky and perhaps a lot more B-movie-esque than the other three (such as having one character, Michael Wincott's girlfriend, who's sole characteristic is her ass courtesy of that one particular shot), but it's at the very least watchable.

What really killed Alien Resurrection for me is when they are studying the three Xenos in the one pen, and two look to the other and start killing the shit out of it because ACID FOR BLOOD GEE WE'RE CLEVER GIRLS and the one getting stabbed to death is all like "no! no! I want to liiiive!"

It was stupid because it betrayed the hive-mind intelligence that was alluded to in Aliens. These are senseless, remorseless killing machines and you just gave them emotions. The fuck is wrong with you, Joss Whedon?

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IBurningStar

There is Alien and Aliens. They never made a third or fourth film.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@oldirtybearon said:

What really killed Alien Resurrection for me is when they are studying the three Xenos in the one pen, and two look to the other and start killing the shit out of it because ACID FOR BLOOD GEE WE'RE CLEVER GIRLS and the one getting stabbed to death is all like "no! no! I want to liiiive!"

It was stupid because it betrayed the hive-mind intelligence that was alluded to in Aliens. These are senseless, remorseless killing machines and you just gave them emotions. The fuck is wrong with you, Joss Whedon?

I believe that's because these were spawned out of the queen that was born out of Ripley, so they've all got dat human DNA in them, including their ability to quickly learn and adapt. I actually loved that scene because it made them look all the more brutal and introduced that added bit of intimidation for their intelligence.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: um, the extended cut was his original cut that got slashed by the studio before it's initial release, which is what fincher was upset about. not the only thing you're dead wrong about IMO.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: You mention the "2003 edit." Do you mean the studio print? That version does a bit of a better job of fleshing out what the hell is happening. I like Alien3 to a point, but it's definitely a messy, oddball film that could have been so much better. To me the weakest point was the dialogue, loaded with awkward swearing and lines like "They think we're crud."

Still, the movie holds a place in my heart for being very unique in series canon, and I loved Weaver's performance even when delivering ham-fisted lines. My favorite part was when Ripley was stalking the alien in the bowels of the prison, and for such a poorly written film, that scene had one of the best lines of dialogue from any Alien flick IMO. You've been in my life so long, I can't remember anything else. It's imbued with such a weight of Ripley's history and where her life has gone- just devastating and hopeless. So, yeah, weird movie.

Alien: Res, meanwhile, is the worst in the series by far IMO. It just feels superfluous. I like Wincott, too, and it's always good to see Brad Dourif being weird. Only redeeming qualities says I!

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the best thing about Resurrection

Loading Video...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@yummylee said:

@oldirtybearon said:

I believe that's because these were spawned out of the queen that was born out of Ripley, so they've all got dat human DNA in them, including their ability to quickly learn and adapt. I actually loved that scene because it made them look all the more brutal and introduced that added bit of intimidation for their intelligence.

But when you go and give the incredibly alien creatures something relatable like emotions then you've already taken a step toward humanizing them. They're no longer an "other" entity that is alien and unknowable, they have emotions. They have feelings. They can be scared just like us. It almost irreparably damages the mystique of the creature when you know it can think and feel beyond instinct or what the Queen dictates to it.

And even if Alien Resurrection sucks and you're a bad person for liking it, can we at least agree that Prometheus is the worst Alien movie ever made?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pr1mus

@yummylee: You know what they should do? A crossover between Alien and Resident Evil starring Barry Burton and... yeah just Barry Burton. The synopsis is simple, Barry has a weapon and it's really powerful, especially against living things. The end.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stryker1121: Oh god, yeah, the dialogue is so incredibly awkward, like the scene where she says she needs to go the basement and how that was a ''a metaphor...''. Parts of the film almost seem surreal it's so wonky. But that ''You've been in my life so long, I can't remember anything else'' you mentioned was surprisingly effective, I have to admit. Plus I wanna reiterate that the pep-talk scene was also pretty good, too. In fact Dillon in general was an alright character; was still disappointed that he pretty much became the no1 supporting character once the medical officer died, but he fitted in well. Also, for as strange as that attempted rape scene was, seeing him arrive and smacking the convicts around with a pipe was goddamn awesome.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And even if Alien Resurrection sucks and you're a bad person for liking it, can we at least agree that Prometheus is the worst Alien movie ever made?

As someone that enjoys Resurrection. I completely agree with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Haven't seen either in a long time. I remember being bored by Alien 3 and thinking Resurrection was just stupid fun.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yummylee

@oldirtybearon: Hmm, well they certainly still seemed just as ruthless as they always were at least. Only difference was they could now occasionally set up an ambush. I could understand where you're coming from, though. An enemy that is just completely run by instinct can be a terrifying thing, but I think the added intelligence was its way of attempting to not purely make this a lesser rehashing of Aliens. I can't imagine you were a fan of the human/alien hybrid, either? ;)

And I haven't seen Prometheus so I couldn't say. I at least understand that that's even more divisive than Alien 3 so, I'd be curious in finding out where I'll stand once I eventually give it a watch. Though I'm in no hurry in any case.

@pr1mus said:

@yummylee: You know what they should do? A crossover between Alien and Resident Evil starring Barry Burton and... yeah just Barry Burton. The synopsis is simple, Barry has a weapon and it's really powerful, especially against living things. The end.

God that line... I mean it completely contradicts what the fuck it is they're fighting against! He's implying that those acid rounds he hands are supposedly ill-fit to be used against things that aren't living. Oh Barry, you incredible son of a bitch. Aliens vs Predators vs Ash vs Barry would make for a helluva comic strip, though, to be sure. A film? I'm afraid the world still isn't ready for awesomness of such magnitude.

@hh: I was going by what I read on wikipedia and how ''Director David Fincher was the only director from the franchise who declined to participate in the box-set releases'' I mean it's true, you don't even get an intro from him like the other three films did so I assumed this was all a studio joint or by one of the other writers and wasn't handled by Fincher.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its been a while since I have seen 3 and I don't think I've seen the changed version, I own it twice on dvd/br... I should probably get around to doing so at some point. I think its ok. As a sequel to the best movie ever made it is a huge, huge failure.

Resurrection is a weird, weird thing. It is easily the goriest of the bunch, and watched as a dumb, gory horror film it could even be seen as fun. Jeunet/Whedon were really the wrong combination of people for the series. I think it's a gorgeous film, really stylish. I remember having a conversation about this with someone on screened... it feels very French. I think its enjoyable when taken as something separate from the other three. The Face/chest alien birth at the ending is gloriously violent/funny and some of the quirky moments like Winona Ryder trying to drink with boxing gloves on or the basketball sequence are kinda great.

Michael Wincott in anything is always a plus.

edit - also... best use of "From the director of..." on a box ever

No Caption Provided

That's hilarious, they need to add "From the writer of Toy Story" to that too.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pr1mus

To elaborate more about why i like Alien 3 better than Aliens the answer is all about atmosphere.

There is none in Aliens. It's an action flick. And i always saw it as a pretty generic one at that. The scenes aren't shot in a creative way, just a bunch of generic marines shooting aliens. All the characters outside Ripley and Bishop were either uninteresting or outright aggravating. Bill Paxton isn't funny, he's just annoying and should have died 15 mins in.

Now Alien 3 has tons of atmosphere. The look of the movie, the cinematography are way more appealing... in an unappealing kinda way. It went back to the more suspenseful and horror ways of the first movie. Sure a lot of the characters are boring and don't have much personality but Clemens and Dillon are great as is Ripley of course. That still makes 3 interesting characters versus 2 in Aliens.

It sort of how i felt with Prometheus. I'll take a flawed story filled atmosphere and beautiful visuals and cinematography that may be lacking in the story and character department over a generic action movie. And to be clear i think that Aliens is even more lacking in the story and character department than Alien 3. Saying that it's worst than Prometheus in that regard might be a stretch but even then it would come down to action vs atmosphere and in that case Aliens still wouldn't win. It certainly doesn't against Alien 3 for me.

Of course Alien remains the superior film. It's basically the best in every categories.

Edit: Forgot to tell about Alien Resurrection. It's bad but i still like it. The action is fine, like it is in Aliens, generic and a bit boring but there's plenty of it anyway. And then there's the characters. Again, not as great as in Alien or Alien 3 but i still like more characters from Resurrection than i do from Aliens. I guess i enjoy watching it about as much as i do Aliens. One is an OK movie with boring characters and the other is a bad movie with better characters... yeah. Whatever they're both fine.

In the end it goes like this for me: Alien > Alien 3 > Aliens/Alien Resurrection/Prometheus. There's two stand out movie in that franchise for me and 3 others that are fine but not memorable.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: I'll agree with you about the Hudson character, and Alien3 does have a superb atmosphere about it, but Aliens just feels more well made; I think it flows a whole lot better than Alien3. They're both just so very different movies, though. But I think Aliens is a far better action movie than Alien 3 is as a... horror movie? Or just as a sc-fi movie in general. I don't dislike Alien 3 for being different than the other films after all, it's just for what it was trying to do, it falls flat a lot of the time imo.

Is it worth going back and watching the original version? Or is the 2003 version the undoubtedly superior cut? If that's the case then, well, I think Alien 3 just isn't for me.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: The whole first hour of Aliens is atmosphere. There's no action in that movie for a huge chunk of it. The bit where they're entering the building in the rain and moving from room to room is all atmosphere.

The scene where they're in the ceiling, the facehugger in the room with newt and ripley, flamethrowing/reasoning with the queen in the egg room. All atmosphere.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pr1mus

@yummylee: I couldn't say between the original and the 2003 assembly cut. I've seen the original only once and didn't necessarily think much of it because i was like 12 years old. I rented it and my mom got pissed though!

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I dislike them both. Alien 3 sucks because it makes the last hour of Aliens pointless (plus, it's poorly written), and Alien: Resurrection because it's just plain bad.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate Alien 3, but I don't like it either. It's incredibly middling. Resurrection though is fucking terrible. No joke, I would rather watch both of the shitty Aliens vs. Predator movies over either Alien 3 or Resurrection. At least they're just stupid mindless fun.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alien 3 suffers from its problems in production, the script was rewritten, directors changed. This is never a good thing, and a film hardly ever gets away with it, Alien 3 is no exception. While Alien is a sublime sci-fi horror and Aliens is only one of the best action movies ever made, borrowed from countless times since and still looking great so many years later, Alien 3 has not aged particularly well, I don't think it hit the mark at the time and the special effects for the alien are awful in spots.

That said I don't think it's that bad and can accept that you could not have had a direct sequel to Aliens without some bold steps taken as far as the plot goes. Alien Resurrection on the other hand is just ghastly.

Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Alien 3 the Directors cut which is a far better film than the original cut. Alien Resurrection is just awful.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't seen either in a long time. I remember being bored by Alien 3 and thinking Resurrection was just stupid fun.

Mah tigger.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By MildMolasses

Honestly, I don't like any of them beyond the first one. I think that its an interesting series in that all 4 of the movies seem so different in tone and style from each other, but they don't happen to be very good films. I think I find Aliens to be the most disappointing because it's an action film from the 80's, directed by James Cameron, and it just seems very much like its hitting the action movies beats and nothing else. It seems like he took a lot of those ideas and refined them into a much better film 5 years later

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread reminded me that i never watched the AvP movies. I should do that. I mean what could possibly go wrong?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely forgot that they kill Hicks and Newt between Aliens and Alien 3, that sucks.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Which is the option for every movie "including Prometheus" are godawful?

Ok, that's not fair. I thought the first one had its moments.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I saw them last night and agree with you ... so much lost potential in Alien 3 (also I like Sigourney Weaver bold ... she so hot!!!) Also I do like Resurrection and actually like Wynona´s character as well , altho to be fair a lot more could´ve been done exploring new themes but as an action/dark comedy it works great.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#43  Edited By isomeri

Alien 3 was OK and Resurrection is so bad it's funny. I can live with both.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That something even remotely watchable came from the development mess that was Alien 3 is amazing in and of itself. That it can even be called "good" despite weird pacing, plot holes, and bad dialogue is a downright miracle.

Alien Resurrection is... I dunno. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being a fun movie to watch. It's definitely a trashy movie, one with nowhere near the worth that the first two and to some extent the third one had, but as cheap "comfort food" entertainment a la the AC/DC to music, it's all right.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By damswedon

I'd take them both over Aliens. I also prefer Terminator over Judgement Day. There is probably some connection there, other than my taste in films just being fucked, I'm just not sure what the connection is.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd take them both over Aliens. I also prefer Terminator over Judgement Day. There is probably some connection there, other than my taste in films just being fucked, I'm just not sure what the connection is.

You're a hipster?

Homer39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Alien 3 is a fine film. The work print version of the film that you get in the quadrilogy and anthology sets makes up for the bad theatrical version. As far as im concerned Resurrection dosen't exists.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Never cared much for Alien 3. I enjoyed the progression from Alien to Aliens and Alien 3 just seemed like they reigned it back way too much. While Resurrection did go in the direction I was thinking Alien 3 would move towards - it did so with so much blown out Hollywood panache that parts of it were just silly. The idea of Ripley being half alien always did seem cool and full of potential though.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By YoungFrey

I like Alien 3 a good bit, but I don't hate Resurrection. Parts of it are terrible (like the end), but otherwise it's like a tolerable rip-off of Aliens.

Did you know that while making Alien 3, David Fincher would wear an alien suit while directing? So he could better understand its perspective.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Alien 3. Took me years to realize that, and it is a step down from Aliens, but it's good.

My opinion on Resurrection is a bit weird. If it were just some other sci-fi movie, it would be perfectly fine. As an Alien movie, though, it's pretty fucking awful. The design of the Aliens is bad, bringing back Ripley was a total cop out, and the Newborn destroys the last 15 minutes or so of that movie. It's just so incredibly dumb seeing a Queen give vaginal birth.

But again, take all those Alien references out of it and it would be a decent little sci-fi romp. The visual style is nice, if a bit brown, the characters are serviceable fodder, and some scenes are pretty cool, like the underwater sequence.

And for what it's worth, I like Prometheus. Movie definitely has some writing problems but I can look past them. Here's hoping the sequel is better written.