Which Judge Dredd movie is better?

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which Judge Dredd movie is better? (194 votes)

Judge Dredd (1995) 13%
Dredd (2012) 78%
Both 9%

I enjoy both movies for different reasons. I like the 95 for being more campy and futuristic. That robot bodyguard in the pawnshop, flying motorcycles and hillbilly cyborg cannibals are all cool as shit. Also who could forget stallone screaming, "I AM THE LAW!" The new one is good for just being so gritty, that I feel like I need to shower and brush my teeth. I also like how its pretty clear the technology is more advance, but disguised like it could be present day. If you catch what I am saying. Lastly the Judge's uniforms are cooler than the dance recital with shoulder pads of the original.

• 
Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

The 2012 version is a way better movie. Gritty in a cool way and very well-directed.

I do have kind of a soft spot for the Stallone movie though. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, because it's so dumb and has Max von Sydow in it.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaLe

I didn't like the main villain in the new one, at all. She's a TV actress and it showed.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You can't beat that Stallone and Rob Schneider combo.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By newmoneytrash

They are both fantastic in the way that Batman & Robin and Batman Begins are both fantastic

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti

I prefer the old one.

It had spunk

and moxy.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Law!

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are fun to watch. Only one of them is a good movie.

Chuncho_Munos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sidekick in Dredd annoyed me

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. The new one is really fucking good in the sense that it's so well done, gripping and entertaining. It's real high quality action with a compelling tone that makes you wanna watch til the end.

But the old one is, to me, a classic. Seeing the Rambo guy play a stone cold future street judge blew my mind as a kid, and the movie's atmosphere was very different to me.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You want a new beginning? I AM THE NEW BEGINNING >:(

Both are good in different ways, but I think Dredd is a genuinely great film. I think it shows a commendable amount of restraint in scope and story. It's nice to occasionally have a movie where the stakes are personal and the course of the story doesn't twist all over the place. Simple can be enough if executed competently. It almost felt a bit John Carpenter-esque in that regard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. But the first one has a special place in my heart, for being awesome.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By strainedeyes

The first one. Dredd was well made and gory, but it wasn't as fun. If it ever gets a sequel I hope they loosen up a bit.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think they're both good. The first one is pretty stupid though, but in a way I enjoyed.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think both are better....

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eidderf

@strainedeyes: Well the source material isn't particularly fun in the sense of the first one, I admittedly haven't read too much Judge Dredd but judging by what I have it's pretty consistently bleak in a lot of ways most of the time (apart from him ultimately defeating whatever he is up against) The idea for the sequel was apparently going to talk more about the origins of Dredd, not sure if that is through flashbacks or it's just going to be a straight up prequel though.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Diane Lane in her prime as Judge Hershey.......... Talk about gorgeous, damnit I couldn't find any good pics ><

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Cirdain

I LOVE DREDD 3D (2012) IT'S BEAUTIFUL. THE BEST 3D! THE BEST!

The other one's a great kids introduction to a slightly mature action film. I think the reviews for the old one were a tad harsh.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first one. I got pretty bored halfway through the second one, the slow motion stuff though was pretty cool...

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@dudeglove: You forgot Rob Schneider in the trashcan robot. Or was that in Demolition Man? I get scenes from the two mixed up sometimes cause Stallone and Schneider are in both.

You don't know how to use the three seashells?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The new one, not even a contest. As a huge Stallone fan, I think that one is pretty terrible.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eidderf: I dunno about that. I read some of the early Judge Dredd comics, and it was pretty goofy. At one point Dredd goes to the moon to be a sheriff or a marshal or something and it's basically the Wild West.

I really liked the new Dredd. The old one is amusingly campy, but I think the new one is a better movie.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto said:

I really liked the new Dredd. The old one is amusingly campy, but I think the new one is a better movie.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Armand fucking Assante.

Loading Video...

On topic The new one was great. i think this is probably the first movie reboot which have enjoyed.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

The 2012 Dredd film with Karl Urban is arguably the single most underrated film of last year. It's a damn shame that it didn't perform better at the box office.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Won't vote because I've never seen the first, although my dad told me it's terrible. However, I did really enjoy the 2013 Dredd and would love to watch it in 3D sometime. I would love another one, the slow-mo effects were awesome.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love the first one because it is so bad. I loved Dredd, especially because I went in expecting to hate it

I really wish that they'd make a sequel to Dredd. Probably not going to happen though.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

The 2012 Dredd film with Karl Urban is arguably the single most underrated film of last year. It's a damn shame that it didn't perform better at the box office.

Came in to say this, loved that movie, damn shame there's no sequel in the works

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I like the older one quite a bit. Seen it more than once even.

But that new Dredd. Hell yes. Those slo-mo shots! The ruthless unapologetic action. And some fine performances too.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Deranged

@venatio said:

@deranged said:

Came in to say this, loved that movie, damn shame there's no sequel in the works

Couldn't agree more, even though the film destroyed in the home video sales on DVD/Blu-Ray. Karl Urban definitely needs another chance to shine and if he doesn't, cast him as the new Batman!

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cheesebob

Dredd is perhaps one of the best action films in recent memory. I mean it is basically a crazier remake of The Raid, but that doesn't effect just how FANTASTIC that film is.