Which should I watch? TNG or Enterprise?

PaxRomana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PaxRomana
PaxRomana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PaxRomana

At this moment.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Dude, how much do you know about Star Trek? You're asking people to decide between what is often considered the best (TNG) and the worst (Enterprise). of the series.  

So I'm going to say just watch the new movie. Stuff blows up real good in that one. 

PaxRomana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PaxRomana
@MooseyMcMan said:
" Dude, how much do you know about Star Trek? You're asking people to decide between what is often considered the best (TNG) and the worst (Enterprise). of the series.   So I'm going to say just watch the new movie. Stuff blows up real good in that one.  "
TNG starts out really slow though.
SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SBYM

How is this a question? TNG; if you feel it starts out slow (I agree) then just move ahead to the point where you enjoy the series.

PaxRomana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PaxRomana

DS9 was the best imho

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Jambones

TNG, without a doubt.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coaxmetal

TNG is better, but I'VE GOT FAITH...

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

PCAAAAARD

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Yeah, the first two seasons of TNG are absolutely terrible, but the entire series of Enterprise sucks.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KimChi4U

I just started buying TNG for something to watch as Korean  television doesn't have a lot in the way of good English programs that aren't rerun 100 times. Season 1 and 2 are REEEAAALLLYYY slow. I would only recommend watching them if you are really big into Star Trek. Otherwise, I'd start with Season 3 and wikipedia anything that might be referenced that you don't understand (The character "Q" comes to mind).  

If you feel like you're going to watch them both, watch TNG first and then make a detour and pick up DS9 first. I often felt that DS9 was as good as TNG and sometimes a little better. The episodes had a bit more action and some of the characters from TNG make their way over for cameos or full on spots on the show. 

I'd even go as far as saying for you to watch Voyager over Enterprise. 7 of 9 is hotness. 

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By grilledcheez

TNG son

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I heard enterprise was terrible.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy

Do yourself a favor and watch Battlestar Galactica. It's far better than the snooze fest that is Star Trek.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlightConfuse
@xyzygy said:
" Do yourself a favor and watch Battlestar Galactica. It's far better than the snooze fest that is Star Trek. "
This i am almost done with the first season and it is a blast. if you have to watch star trek then watch TNG 

its been a long road
WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By WrathOfBanja

TNG. Enterprise was godawful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love TNG, but this dude speaks the truth:

@xyzygy
said:

" Do yourself a favor and watch Battlestar Galactica."
Battlestar Galactica is incredible. 
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By benpack

Jean Luc Picard.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ragdrazi

This is a question? TNG.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Famov

TNG is better. Part of Enterprise's problem was being the fifth Star Trek series and with no new ideas. Seeing some Original Series aliens was cool but not cool enough. 

TNG is a bit campy in its own right, what with those comical uniforms and all, but it's still the best Star Trek's been. Just don't let the first two seasons color your opinion too much: The show grows from Gene Roddenberry's Communist Fantasy with insipid political commentary into a respectable adventure (with a more sober approach to commentary).

Also, the Borg and Q are awesome.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By McGhee

No Caption Provided
BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BombKareshi

TNG and Jean-Luc Picard all the way! The first two seasons aren't wholly as awesome, but they have their moments.

That said, you're not a first-time viewer? You're asking which series to watch, but you state that you already think Deep Space Nine was the best.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By rjaylee

TNG easily if you want to fully indulge your Star Trek senses, but IT'S BEEN A LONNNNNG ROOOAD....

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By WickedCobra03

I am not sure which bombcasts they were talking about this on, but it was around last December (2009) where the bombcast crew I think was  talking about Star Trek for like 2 weeks and Jeff kind of got me interested in watching it when it started talking about him and his dad sitting around at night after dinner watching that show just because it was on.  I remember here in the afternoons it would be on around 6 right after dinner a lot of times when a lot of times I would be laying around and usually falling asleep, I would always see that show on.  20 years later I gave it a chance.  Like Jeff said, it is not stellar TV, but I dunno, I kind of liked it.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By artofwar420

Tee En Gee for sure. Do yourself a favor and watch that.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By CharleyTony

I don't want to say I am an expert on Star Trek, I am sure a lot of other people here are. I saw pretty much every episode of every Star Trek series and here is what I would suggest... 

Make sure you watch SOME Star Trek (The Original Series), you should try to check out the Remastered versions. It might be hard to watch, because it is TV that was made in the 60s, but at least check online (maybe TV.com) to see what the best 4 or 5 episodes are rating wise. After watching a little Star Trek: TOS, Then I would watch Star Trek TNG. That way you will really see how good TNG really was. I would then suggest you watch the other series in the order they were broadcast, DS9, Voyager and then Enterprise. 

I know that Enterprise is set as the first one chronologically, but I am pretty sure that you won't be able to fully appreciate it if you don't have some Star Trek baggage first. Having humans bitch about the safety of a transporter is only funny if you have seen a couple of years of Star Trek episodes where they don't even remember that they have shuttlecrafts. Same goes for how the Doctor, Decontamination chamber and Human-Alien relations are different in Enterprise compared to the other series. Also, in Enterprise, the captain has a dog !  

/---------->Star Trek TOS --> ST TNG --> ST DS9 --> ST Voyager --> ST Enterprise --------->\
\<------------<------------<---------------------<----------------<----------------<--------------------<---------/

PS:                I loved TNG the best but I really like all the Star Trek series so I don't think  that made a huge impact on my recommendation.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mars_Cleric
@Famov said:
"the Borg and Q"

nuff said
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust
@PaxRomana said:

" DS9 was the best imho "

This right here, although it helps to have a good background with the Next Gen time line before stepping into it.  I suggest check out a few seasons of TNG (season 3 finale and season 4 onward + "Q Who" from season 2).  Then jump into DS9.  That show took at least a season to ramp up, too so you aren't missing too much if you skip large chunks of season 1, but be sure to see the opener because one theme introduced there runs throughout the entire series run.  There are a couple of episodes in season 6 of TNG which set up the DS9 series and the antagonists, the Cardassians.  

Also, while I can't speak to the newest Battlestar Galactica, if you are looking for more sci-fi to watch make you look at Farscape.  It's my personal favorite sci-fi series. 

EDIT:  Heh-heh, I didn't realize this was your thread so you already have seen DS9.  Well, my suggestions regarding TNG stand.  Watch a handful of shows from the early seasons then the finale of 3 and then season 4 to the end.  I'd watch episodes of Voyager before taking on Enterprise, and that's not saying too much.  Voyager was very spotty with a few worthwhile episodes per season surrounded by a lot of boring stuff.  Enterprise was worse.  Honestly, my favorite character on Enterprise was the dog.  I just thought it was cool to have a pet dog in space.  They should have named it "Astro".  
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By evanbrau

TNG always. Sure it takes a while to get going (and it really does, improved ten fold when Rodenberry was ousted and his horrible political commentary and characterisation were taken out the back and shot, if you don't believe me take a look at Picard going from being a massive space douche to the best thing ever in the later series) Enterprise was trash from the start. It was a very strange mix of poor scripts, misplaced fan service and being so very dull. I do agree with DS9 being the best though.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

@Lord_Yeti said:
" Yeah, the first two seasons of TNG are absolutely terrible, but the entire series of Enterprise sucks. "

Quoted for Truth!  I don't think I saw any of Enterprise which really grabbed me and made me want to watch more;  I saw a lot of it that made me say "Wow, I can't believe they did that".  I vaguely remember an episode where the Federation was a dystopia.  I think it was billed as a mirror universe, but I didn't enjoy it.

The Next Generation is definitely one of the best.  Deep Space Nine was pretty cool too.  I haven't seen enough of the original to pass judgment on it.  TNG is kind in the way it will allow you to skip around almost at will, because there's not always a whole lot of interconnectivity in the series.

But really, Enterprise kinda sucked.  I don't think it was the actors, I think it was the writing.  It's like the guys writing it didn't know what it was really about.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pazy

I love Enterprise, and in particular season 4 is fantastic, but TNG is what you should watch but if you have never seen it before maybe watch the first episode then skip to Season 3 (if you get really into it you can go back but its not great). Though I have more love for DS9 but again the first few seasons are the worst.