Who feels the 21st century is on a downward spiral?

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Where_Am_I

Yes, we have great technology, and I realize there have always been problems in the past.... But it seems different now... It's almost like we are closer than ever with all this technology.. but at the same time, it's pulling us apart and altering us as human beings.. I'm just curious to get all your opinions on this, it seems with each year that passes, people are caring less and less.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Its not just technology, but i am expecting something bad to happen,like something from a bad sci-fi movie where the scientist tries to play God...yeah, something like that :)

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Where_Am_I
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" Its not just technology, but i am expecting something bad to happen,like something from a bad sci-fi movie where the scientist tries to play God...yeah, something like that :) "
Yeah, I'm having this uneasy feeling lately.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Where_Am_I: Look at it on the bright side, which ever way earth goes down,and down it will go...we all have a smiling post apocalyptic future ahead of us :D
Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Where_Am_I
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" @Where_Am_I: Look at it on the bright side, which ever way earth goes down,and down it will go...we all have a smiling post apocalyptic future ahead of us :D "
Haha, I like your attitude.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Slaker117

Nah. It's common to feel like the beginning of the end is always just around the corner, but we've survived so far. New problems arise, damage is done, but we adapt. For better or worse, the world is changing, but not ending.

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Where_Am_I
@Slaker117 said:
" Nah. It's common to feel like the beginning of the end is always just around the corner, but we've survived so far. New problems arise, damage is done, but we adapt. For better or worse, the world is changing, but not ending. "
Yes this is true, but I feel like... it's much easier at the moment for something to happen... if that makes any sense.
face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By face15

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Are you asking if we think that in the past few years technology has started to pull society apart? 
If so I've got to say that while it might seem that way in your life that simply isn't the case.  I have a lot of friends and family and they all have friends and family. It certainly doesn't seem to me that there is no sense of community within humanity anymore. A lot of people would argue that the increase in social networking is having a negative effect on society, in that it lessens actual human interaction, but for me at least, and for everyone I know, social networking serves largely as a means to organize events and get togethers. Other technology like mobile phones and iPods may have some negative effects on social interaction, since it's kinda annoying if someone starts using one while your having a conversation, but ultimately technology doesn't change much about human interaction. 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

It is just the precursor to the end as the dark lord's nightmare tendrils continue to bore themselves into the subconscious collective. 

Nothing unexpected really.

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Where_Am_I
@face15 said:
" I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Are you asking if we think that in the past few years technology has started to pull society apart? If so I've got to say that while it might seem that way in your life that simply isn't the case.  I have a lot of friends and family and they all have friends and family. It certainly doesn't seem to me that there is no sense of community within humanity anymore. A lot of people would argue that the increase in social networking is having a negative effect on society, in that it lessens actual human interaction, but for me at least, and for everyone I know, social networking serves largely as a means to organize events and get togethers. Other technology like mobile phones and iPods may have some negative effects on social interaction, since it's kinda annoying if someone starts using one while your having a conversation, but ultimately technology doesn't change much about human interaction.  "
Yeah, you kind of got what I was saying... I should have renamed the threard.. to possibly a downward spiral... things are horrible yet... but I feel like it might become that way soon... it's like each year that passes.. we are resembling robots more and more.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Slaker117

@Where_Am_I:  When you are being so vague, no, it doesn't really make sense.

The world is a fucked up place, but we are fucked up people. We always have been. It is quite possible that we eventually do something stupid enough to doom us all, but I really don't get the feeling that we are at that now. People have always questioned what it means to be human, thinking that we are somehow losing that quality. Interpretive dilemma like this can cause us to see the whole world as going mad, but we forget that the world is mad. We try our best to function in that madness, and things usually turn out ok.

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Where_Am_I
@Slaker117 said:

"   @Where_Am_I:  When you are being so vague, no, it doesn't really make sense.

The world is a fucked up place, but we are fucked up people. We always have been. It is quite possible that we eventually do something stupid enough to doom us all, but I really don't get the feeling that we are at that now. People have always questioned what it means to be human, thinking that we are somehow losing that quality. Interpretive dilemma like this can cause us to see the whole world as going mad, but we forget that the world is mad. We try our best to function in that madness, and things usually turn out ok. "

OK, let me give an example.... I have five friends all girls.... they know just about anything 
celebrity wise, yet none of them even knew what North Korea was... this happened the other day... and I guess It kind of sparked this feeling more... I was pretty amazed.
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GunnBjorn

2 Timothy 3:1-5 (King James Version)

''This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.'' 

It has been foretold to an extent. Rather creepy, isn't it?

Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Frederik

Everything is getting better all the time... When we look back at the 90s or 80s it seems as if times were more carefree but if you had look at the news back then things looks just as dire as it does now. Terrorism wasn't invented in 2001, catholics and protestants were blowing each other up in Ireland, there were just as many plane hijackings, Timothy McVeigh blew bombs in Oklahoma, kids were shooting up schools, we had genocides in Rwanda, Syria, Iran etc. there were constant war, The iron curtain, apartheid and so on.... 

People will always look back at the past with rose tinted glasses but the truth is that global poverty is decreasing, our knowledge is increasing and I see no reason not to be optimistic about the future. 

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders, and love chatter in places of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates - 400 BC

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By dagas

It's only natural to feel that way since we in the western world have had our golden age already. It's not as it was in the 20th century when Europe and in the second half the US owned the world. The western world is having a mid age crisis while Asia are in their teens and the best is yet to come for them.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slaker117

@Where_Am_I:  People being ignorant isn't new. As extreme of a case as that may be, there are always people who just don't give a fuck. World views are funny things. I think following celebrities is worthless, but I could probably name every significant game release of last year, their publisher, developer, major features and approximate metacritc off the top of my head. Similarly, there are people who know the intricacies of global politics who can't navigate a computer interface.

I get that people are stupid, and can be stupid in shocking ways, but fail to see how this is new or threatening.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Shadow

Remember back in the good old days when everyone talked about how much better it was in the good old days?

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Rattle618
@Where_Am_I said:
" .... But it seems different now... "
How do you know it´s different now? are you Highlander?. Fear of the end of the world is almost as old as prostitution, don´t sweat it and enjoy living.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Aronman789

The fall of the New Rome is going to happen eventually, just except it and flee once it starts.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slaker117
@GunnBjorn: 
How exactly is this creepy? Like, in anyway, whatsoever?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@GunnBjorn: lol the bible 
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GunnBjorn
@Slaker117 said:

" @GunnBjorn:  How exactly is this creepy? Like, in anyway, whatsoever? "

Let's dissect this sentence:''Lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God.'' 

Look around you. Movies, tv programs, videogames (on the go), internet, music 24/7 (MP3 players, I-Pod etc.) ... They've become the opium that used to be religion. I'm not saying the end is nigh, but it's undeniable we live more for joys these days then ever before.    
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Music surely went to shit big time I miss the 90's.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By dagas
@Shadow said:
" Remember back in the good old days when everyone talked about how much better it was in the good old days? "
funny ^^ 

It's funny how pretty much everything have been considered immoral at some point. Today a Waltz is about as innocent and conservative you can get when it comes to dancing, but when it was introduced it was considered like dancing naked on the table today. It was too vulgar because people touched hands and people showed emotions while dancing, not to mention they could improvise, step left instead of right etc rather than the old dances where everyone was stiff and emotionless and did their steps exactly according to the rulebook. 

the more one studies history the more one learn's that it's basiclly the same problems people and empires have. technology changes, but humans are still the same.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Slaker117
@GunnBjorn:  Ok, I don't want to start a religious debate, but I to see that and call it some sort of prophesy is pretty weak. You could pull that out at any time in history and claim it to be true. There are always going to be people who spend their lives lightly. Sure, we have more options today, but that doesn't mean anything.
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GunnBjorn
@Slaker117 said:

" @GunnBjorn:  Ok, I don't want to start a religious debate, but I to see that and call it some sort of prophesy is pretty weak. You could pull that out at any time in history and claim it to be true. There are always going to be people who spend their lives lightly. Sure, we have more options today, but that doesn't mean anything. "

Forgive this simple sod. My religious upbringing (Jehovah's Witnesses) still lingers. I can't seem to shed it off me entirely. That's the power of fear instilled since childhood.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By toowalrus

So... how old are you where you feel qualified to compare the two centuries? You know, I bet the 1910s were a pretty shitty time to live in, what with World War I and everything. We're going to be just fine, stop worrying.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I hope that it's not a scientist who offs the planet, because they already have a bad enough image for no good reason.
The best we can hope for is that we come up with a way to wire our brains into a virtual reality Matrix-style and leave the caretaking of the planet in the hands of some awesome robot guys.  Or just put our minds into said awesome robot guys and be functionally immortal.  Whichever one they get around to first.

Avatar image for glorious_leader
glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By glorious_leader

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/21/woman-falls-in-fountain-while-texting-yes-shes-real-and-mad-and-suing/
Headline: Woman Falls into Fountain while Texting

Technology will be the end of us, I say!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By mutha3
@GunnBjorn: Instead of ipods, movies and videogames you had women,plays and taverns as your local entertainment 500 years ago.

Now if you're trying to say that we've gotten a lot less badass.....

Also, religion is still(unfortunately) going as strong as it ever has. The majority of the world is still religious.
Avatar image for glorious_leader
glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By glorious_leader
@mutha3: But people identifying as nonreligious are higher in number than they've ever been, according to the American census.
Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Where_Am_I

and this is turning into a 
religious debate... out I go..

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GunnBjorn
@Where_Am_I said:
"and this is turning into a  religious debate... out I go.. "

Hey, with threads like these, you pretty much inviting it.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By penguindust

You know what's occurring?  Change and change can be scary.  It's unfamiliar and requires us to adapt.  The thing is, however, change is constantly happening.  As we grow older though we notice it more because we are more resistant to the process of re-adaption.  The world isn't going to end tomorrow and society isn't splitting apart, it's simply evolving to the technologies and politics of the day.  

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Not me.

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Where_Am_I
@GunnBjorn said:
" @Where_Am_I said:
"and this is turning into a  religious debate... out I go.. "
Hey, with threads like these, you pretty much inviting it. "
Too bad, all i wanted was to see some opinions, and people start bringing up stuff like lol bible... :|
Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Neonie

People will be people no matter how you look at it. 

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ben99

I hate those thoughts I just hate those thoughts . How about you live the freaking moment Right Now ?