Why Do Ninjas Wear Toe-Shoes?

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarkWahlberg

For an imaginary group of dudes, they are portrayed with an unusually consistent ensemble. I just watched The Wolverine (in which he never really fought the ninjas, so it's like, what's the fucking point) and all the ninjas have the same fucking two-toed shoes that ninjas have in every single movie/comic/whatever about ninjas.

These fucking things
These fucking things

Was there some proto-ninja film that set the standard in ninja attire? Do ninja fans have different sub-categories, ala fast-vs-slow zombie fans, where they argue over the correct number of toes their shoes should have? What do those even accomplish? Are they all secretly Quarians or something? What the shit is going on?

OhCollusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Well im pretty sure the consensus is that their underwear is in the same shape.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feet grip

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Umm, ninjas aren't imaginary.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I believe the split toe shoe was fairly standard footwear worn in Feudal-Era Japan. Real Ninja would have worn straw shoes.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CaLe

When the samurai swings his sword at the ninja, the ninja does a kind of hand-stand and catches the blade in between the toe gap. I am an expert who doesn't lie about this kind of thing. I believe it was (the master ninja) Oda Nobunaga who first performed the maneuver in the great war of 1556, and since then it's become common knowledge that the toe gap saves lives.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ninjas are real dude. Media has severely played them up for entertainment though.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

They're called jika-tabi and they're presumably notched at the toe so the wearer could also wear geta (wooden sandals) when the situation called for it without having to remove their current footwear.

Also, they're probably hella comfortable.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Brendan

Is the OP assuming that Ninjas in general don't exist, or is he referring to the fictional media version of Ninjas?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. They're gross, but not as egregious of a moral/social/fashion crime as wearing actual toe-shoes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Digitigrade versus plantigrade.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're called jika-tabi and they're presumably notched at the toe so the wearer could also wear geta (wooden sandals) when the situation called for it without having to remove their current footwear.

That... seems like it would be a real explanation? Doesn't explain their ubiquity but whatever.

@brendan said:

Is the OP assuming that Ninjas in general don't exist, or is he referring to the fictional media version of Ninjas?

Ninja Assassin is the only true depiction of ninjas.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markwahlberg:

Oh, the ubiquity? Pretty much everyone in Japan at that period in history wore that type of footwear. IT's just period-accurate.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If I ever become a ninja, I'll let you know.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto
What's deal with ninja footwear? I mean could they get any more ubiquitous and two-toed? Am I right people?
What's deal with ninja footwear? I mean could they get any more ubiquitous and two-toed? Am I right people?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would imagine 99% of the time ninja never wore "ninja gear" cus that'd just be a big sign saying "HEY IM A NINJA". If you're sneaking into a castle you'd have an easier job wearing dark colored servant garb.

I mean ninja's were real, but they did usually just dress like poor people, cus its easier to blend in and sneak around that way.

Also, ninja's are dumb.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feudal Japan's version of those creepy toes shoes.

Zoeytrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zoeytrope

I always thought that the tabi boots were to make climbing easier. Better grip with your toes and all that.