World War Z trailer is out. Thoughts?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Marcsman

It looked pretty good to me, but I can watch almost anything with zombies. What are your thoughts?

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks completely different than the book but pretty fucking awesome none the less.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Marcsman

Yeah, I wonder how they could have done the book though.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

Trailer embedded for her pleasure:

EDIT: I thought I'd be burned out on zombies by now but I'm pretty stoked by how they're being portrayed as an almost liquid mass in the trailer. I could take or leave Brad Pitt and his ugly "wife" and "children."

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By BaneFireLord

It looks like a perfectly okay zombie movie. It looks like an incredibly shitty World War Z movie.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know... It might have worked as an indie joint, maybe from a documentary standpoint, no way it would have had the mass appeal of the route it appears they've taken with it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marcsman

@Ravenlight: Thanks man. I am a lazy shit.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Marcsman

@BaneFireLord: Ok . Name the last GOOD zombie movie that came out.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Solh0und

Looks alright. Good to see Mireille Enos to get more work after the now cancelled The Killing.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By donchipotle

That did not look like zombies. It looked like some kind of weird Katamari made up of things that look like people.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@Marcsman said:

May not count exactly as zombie movie but is very much so in the same vain - 28 Days Later.

That's actually the one single zombie-like movie I really like. Everything else is just urgh.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Solh0und said:

Looks alright. Good to see Mireille Enos to get more work after the now cancelled The Killing.

That got cancelled? How long did it go for? I'm kind of surprised that even got made in the first place.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marcsman

@DonChipotlesaid: Now we know some cultures called them fire ants.

That did not look like zombies. It looked like some kind of weird Katamari made up of things that look like people.

@NaDannMaGoGo

said:

@Marcsman said:

May not count exactly as zombie movie but is very much so in the same vain - 28 Days Later.

That's actually the one single zombie-like movie I really like. Everything else is just urgh.

I have to agree. Especially on the budget it was shot with.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Solh0und

@Cloudenvy said:

@Solh0und said:

That got cancelled? How long did it go for? I'm kind of surprised that even got made in the first place.

Just 2 seasons. I consider it a mini-series personally.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marcsman

@Cloudenvy said:

@Solh0und said:

I just read AMC is bringing it back.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By OldGuy
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Solh0und said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Solh0und said:

Did they ever wrap anything up or did they just kind of leave it hanging? I guess according to @Marcsman they're bringing it back, so probably the latter.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Solh0und

@Marcsman said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Solh0und said:

I just read AMC is bringing it back.

I just read about that as well. That's definitely interesting....

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Solh0und

@Cloudenvy said:

@Solh0und said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Solh0und said:

Did they ever wrap anything up or did they just kind of leave it hanging? I guess according to @Marcsman they're bringing it back, so probably the latter.

The main hook is wrapped up but there are some small subplots that could make a interesting season 3.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BaneFireLord
@Marcsman said:

...does Zombieland count, or is it too much of a humorous deconstruction to qualify? I honestly can't think of any good ones that came out after that (then again, I don't really watch that many horror films, so I'm probably forgetting some). I do hope that WWZ is going to be good, but it doesn't seem to even be inspired by the book, much less based on it. Based on this trailer, it seems to me like there was a "Zombie Apocalypse (Working Title)" script floating around in Hollywood for a while and someone decided to slap the WWZ title on it for marketing purposes. If it had a different title, I would be far more interested, but as it is being touted as an adaptation of Brooks' book, I'm less than thrilled.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Marcsman

@OldGuy said:

@Marcsman said:

Night of the Living Dead(1968).

The Dawn of the Dead remake by Zach Snyder is just as good. Granted that is the classic that started it all.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Marcsman

@BaneFireLord said:

@Marcsman said:

...does Zombieland count, or is it too much of a humorous deconstruction to qualify? I honestly can't think of any good ones that came out after that (then again, I don't really watch that many horror films, so I'm probably forgetting some). I do hope that WWZ is going to be good, but it doesn't seem to even be inspired by the book, much less based on it. Based on this trailer, it seems to me like there was a "Zombie Apocalypse (Working Title)" script floating around in Hollywood for a while and someone decided to slap the WWZ title on it for marketing purposes. If it had a different title, I would be far more interested, but as it is being touted as an adaptation of Brooks' book, I'm less than thrilled.

I stand corrected. How can you go wrong smoking kush with Bill Murray? Awesome movie..............

As stated previously I am a fanboy. I just hope it's one third as good as as the book. I'll be mucho happy. Now pass that Mr. Murray.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Clonedzero

the fuck? fast zombies in WWZ?

ive read the book, theres ALOT of stuff in it specifically about how they're SLOW. the trailer kinda annoyed me...

they better have redeker in this too. or i'll be mad.

HKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HKZ

@Marcsman I thought Shaun of the Dead was a great zombie movie. There's was a lot of depth there most people miss due to the comedy in it. The acting by Simon Pegg was really good. I actually felt awful when he had to shoot his mom. I think we'd all have that hesitation if that happened in front of us.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Marcsman

@HKZ said:

@Marcsman I thought Shaun of the Dead was a great zombie movie. There's was a lot of depth there most people miss due to the comedy in it. The acting by Simon Pegg was really good. I actually felt awful when he had to shoot his mom. I think we'd all have that hesitation if that happened in front of us.

I kinda liked it, but something about Simon Pegg annoys me. However I agree in a zombie apocalypse head to the bar.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Having read the book before the movie, I think that this movie should not have been attached to the book at all.

In fact, the zombie outbreak was only a problem in the books because of panic and misinformation.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By deathbyyeti

it looks like shit

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By connerthekewlkid

i was hoping to see Mark Hamill as a solider during the battle of yonkers :[

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Silvergun

Every time I see these huge waves of zombies, I can't help but think 'This would be so much better if they were robots!'. Extra points if they're robots all marching in lock step with each other! Then I get sad thinking there will never be another Sky Captain movie...

That said, I do actually kinda dig how the zombies in this are more a surging mass of bodies rather than just a mob, it's a cool visual.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EXTomar

Throw me in the "This doesn't feel like the book at all" camp.

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By Beb

The trailer convinced me not to see the movie. It seems like a bait and switch to me.

Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Box3ru13

Looks like a shitty World War Z movie. Which is sad because little short stories in movie form would be fan-fucking-tastic. Instead it looks like an average zombie movie where the zombies now move like a swarm of bees rather than zombies.

Color me disinterested, will probably bomb at BO and will watch it on Amazon or something similar.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Milkman

Haven't read the book and the trailer didn't do much for me. Big budget movies sure love those Inception horns.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By abendlaender

I have to be honest: This looks incredibly goofy and silly to me (I didn't read the book, so maybe that's all in-fiction or whatever). This "firezombieant" thing at the end? Seems like a thing out of a parody. The rest just seems like a 0815 zombie movie with a silly tone to me

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Really disappointing they didn't go for the Ken Burn's style documentary.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Duders what? This looks so shitty. And not that Brad Pitt is Daniel-Day or anything but man they must have paid him a lot to be in this. Just him, 4 people you never heard of, and a million cg zombies.

Edit: Oh yeah, sounds like The Killing is for sure coming back.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PillClinton

This thread kind of already exists, sort of. All these near-duplicate threads about various random things lately is making my head spin!

Also, Brad Pitt is still distractingly handsome as shit, and I say that with the utmost confidence in my heterosexual masculinity. Seriously, that dude will never look old!

Oh, and the trailer? Looks like a shallow popcorn action flick--I'd rather just read the book now.

Shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shotgunblast97

Was world war z the one that had a scene shot in Glasgow. Cause that made Glasgow unbearable everyone standing for hours taking photos while people were trying to get places.

Kaiserhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kaiserhawk

It doesn't resemble the book all that much, but then again many book's to movies don't either.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bio595

I wonder if Brad Pitt is Reddeker?

Perhaps not the documentary style the book portrays, but I'm interested by the way the zombies form a mass of flesh.

Would much have preferred the short story style the book has. The interview with the deep sea diver would be so scary in film. I wonder how tense they could have made the military square formations, just constant head shots for hours.

Interested to see how this turns out

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PillClinton

@Kaiserhawk said:

It doesn't resemble the book all that much, but then again many book's to movies don't either.

The Road being the only real exception to that, as far as I can remember.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EXTomar

The book is more of a documentary where he went around and gathered and reported on stories from various survivors and witnesses. That would probably make for a poor movie but then I have to point out they probably shouldn't make a movie of this then.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OmegaChosen

@EXTomar said:

The book is more of a documentary where he went around and gathered and reported on stories from various survivors and witnesses. That would probably make for a poor movie but then I have to point out they probably shouldn't make a movie of this then.

I dunno, a documentary style film going through some of the key stories of the book (with a flashback happening for each story) might have been pretty cool.

Trailer? Rolling mass of zombies is some strangeness alright.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EXTomar

I don't mean an action movie wouldn't be a bad thing but that seems to be the wrong way to go about it. It seems like the only reason why this is called Day-Z is to capitalize on the popularity of the book instead of the challenge or love of the material.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By YoThatLimp

This seems...gross AND shitty. Man, such a bummer!

pleasedaddyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inception horns are now a pre-requisite in hollywood trailers. 'Pacific Rim' has it, also.

Brad Pitt is giving me flashbacks to Independence Day by way of Seven Years in Tibet, and his having a family with Mireille Enos is as believable as that CG swarm of zombies.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2013 Movies vs. 2012 Movies

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@EXTomar said:

I dunno, a documentary style film going through some of the key stories of the book (with a flashback happening for each story) might have been pretty cool.

Yup. Mockumentary was the way they should have gone. Get a massive ensemble cast for small roles talking to Brad Pitt and then cut to flashbacks to fill in stuff.

Has anyone listened to the audio book? Here is the list of people who did parts on the original AB: Alan Alda, Carl Reiner, Rob Reiner, Jürgen Prochnow, Mark Hamill, Henry Rollins, John Turturro. And then they put out an "extended version" including: Common, Alfred Molina, Frank Darabont, Nathan Fillion, Simon Pegg and Martin Scorsese.

This movie looks like typical zombie movie bullshit.