Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

Hey, I often refrain to recommend any movie on the Giant Bomb forums as I know my tastes are not in line with most, but I think that one is pretty special and could be enjoyed by most here.

It's the Festival du Nouveau Cinéma right here in Montréal and I'm working as a movie critic so I try to catch as many movies as I can. Yesterday, I got to see Tokyo Tribe, a film by Sion Sono. For those that don't know, Sion Sono is a japanese filmmaker, well known by horror fans for the movies Suicide Club and Hair extension. His recent movies were more action movies, though, and they're filled with a crazy sense of urgency that you could not find anywhere else. Sion Sono transcended his B-Movie origins, his films are still extremely enjoyable and accessible (granted that you can enjoy japanese movies) but are also technically intricate and impressive. It's the kind of film that critics and the general public can enjoy.

Tokyo Tribe is his latest. I guess it will be pretty hard to catch depending on where you are living, but I think you should absolutely see it if you get the chance. It's impossible to really define, but I'd say it is an action rap-opera. Sounds bonkers? It totally is. Here's the trailer:

The movie is imperfect and I think it could have made with less sexis jokes (feminist here), but god damn if it is not one of the most enjoyable and unique movie I have ever seen. It's a technically impressive film, filled with insane long-takes, but at the end, it is just so much fun.

Hope you like it.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This movie seems to be amazingly dumb in every possible way.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billymaysrip: It is! But I'd say it's pretty smart about how dumb it is!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Saw the trailer months ago and remember watching the anime a few years back. I remember really liking the series cause it reminded me of a Japanese version of The Warriors.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I forgot that the live action Tokyo Tribe was happening! I still need to see the director's other work, "Why Don't You Play in Hell?".

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ollyoxenfree: I saw Why Don't You Play in Hell last year and it's pretty great. I preferred Tokyo Tribe though. I've heard that Love Exposure is the best, I haven't seen this one yet.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks like a low budget, completely unbelievable/unrealistic musical with bad music. Not for me :)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Looks dumb but fun. And long takes! I do love a good long take.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So I'm just wondering since the film did come out a few months ago but what's the current state of watching this movie legally somewhere other than Japan? Is the film available with English subtitles?