Did anyone else play this when it came out?

Lionsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lionsy

Its been 23 years and I remember getting this because of the Bowie connection.

Playing it was like a fever dream though. I got a pre-order only version with a CD of the tracks written for the game, that was good!

Finding out years later that David Cage made it makes so much sense.

beggary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played this one AND the Peter Gabriel CD-ROM, though they're both very...experiential...and I don't remember a ton, except cool (for the time!) images and pretty good music, though this wasn't the best era for Bowie.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did - although going back and replaying it a few years ago was a sobering experience.

I remember the trapazoidal box came with a card for an invite to bowie.net, and that there was a surprising amount of David Bowie in the game (1 voiced in game NPC and 1 model that would badly lip-sync songs from the Hours album while gyrating around). I believe Reeves Gabrels (Bowie's guitarist) had a music credit in the game as well.

The triplicate mix of gameplay types - shooter, fighting game, and adventure game - was easily the weakest aspect of the game. None of them were fleshed out enough individually to make them stand out, but the adventure element (the element that arguably carried forward into Cage's later games) was easily the worst in my opinion. The puzzles floundered between over-explained and nonsensical, and I remember there was once puzzle in the later city of the game where even with a walkthrough and an LP video, I had no idea whatsoever how the actual solution worked, and I was just parroting motions.

Despite that, I developed an unhealthy fondness for David Cage and his games and remember reading preview coverage for Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy, and being pleased that they had dropped the action elements of Omikron for the QTE gameplay of Shenmue.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was only made aware of it because of Vinny and Dave and it's been on my mind ever since, i have no choice but to play it some day.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only ever played the demo on PC and while it was pretty neat for it's time, technically at least, my younger self was either not impressed enough to buy the actual game when it came out or (wisely) didn't want to spend the money with Unreal Tournamet coming out soon after.

No desire to revisit it these days, I'll just rewatch that Random PC Game video if the game enters my brain for some reason.

bodger0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i had this, and Sonic Adventure, with my Dreamcast that my parents ordered from a catalogue.

it stayed on for 3 days until my VMU arrived....

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything I know about this game comes from Hard4Games' videos on it.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

I did on PC. It was very impressive and cool but one of those games I stopped playing shortly after starting due to having no idea where to go or what to do. Felt very much like an old PC game.

Giant Bomb's Random PC Game of it is great. One of the last they did, I think, before Dave left :(

Symbyosys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I convinced my mom to buy this because I had been up on the magazine previews and she was sold because Bowie was in it. It was impressive at least on the surface, especially because I was 14, but I didn't stick with it after I had roamed the city a while, saw the Bowie club performance, and managed to get to the FPS part? around the time you could switch bodies. Lost interest and other stuff came out.