Will anyone actually notice the missing PAX panels/indie games run by LGBT allies?

• 53 results
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Will anyone actually notice the missing PAX panels/indie games run by LGBT allies? (180 votes)

Yes 27%
No 73%

So going back a couple weeks, there was some controversy over a panel at PAX Aus, and then Penny Arcade's Mike Krahulik (Gabe) made some comments that were considered insensitive to transgendered people.

The Fullbright Company canceled their attendance, and some gaming news sites reported on it. Apparently their game, Gone Home, deals with LGBT issues to a certain extent, so fair enough:

http://thefullbrightcompany.com/2013/06/21/why-we-are-not-showing-gone-home-at-pax/

One of my gay friends posted this link on Facebook recently. Never heard of these guys, but apparently they are cancelling their panel for similar reasons:

http://popupplayground.com.au/2013/07/pax-panel-cancelled/

Is it all worth it? For a group that is already marginalized, why limit yourself from the exposure of one of the bigger fan gatherings of gamers? Wouldn't it make more sense to make an appearance at PAX, and maybe get your LGBT-friendly game/panel covered by games journalists? And while you're there, put that other PAX panel (and Mike Krahulik) on blast?

Because I guarantee gaming sites are unlikely to write anything at all about you if you turn your PAX panel into a blog post on your site or something, because journos are never going to read it, whereas they might have attended it when it was going to be a panel.

And I also guarantee that this tiny boycott isn't suddenly going to turn public opinion on Penny Arcade in any kind of major way. It just isn't. Feminists have hated Penny Arcade for a few years since the Dickwolves thing, and really, nobody cares outside of some feminist blogs. Frankly, we still live in a world where not many people care about LGBT issues, especially trans issues, which don't have nearly the same public acceptance and understanding compared to gays and lesbians. So I really question if walking away from PAX Aus is doing them any good, because it's just not going to create any kind of lasting controversy, aside from Robert Khoo maybe paying for Mike Krahulik to take some sensitivity training classes or something (which realistically would probably just teach Mike to hide his real opinions behind more politically correct ones, because Mike seems like a stubborn dude who sticks with what he believes).

• 
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@joshwent said:

@bisonhero said:

@spaceinsomniac: Do people still adhere to the "character who uses aggression and violence to solve problems is a man with boobs" position? I thought that lately feminism was all about "disregard gender roles, do what you want, be sex positive, blah blah blah".

Unfortunately, yes, they do. What you're thinking of is the message of second-wave feminism, a school of thought from the 60's to the 80's that preached women's liberation from specific roles. That a woman must be able to choose her own path and not be restricted by the judgement of others.

Then came third-wave feminism which argues that a woman in any role can still be sexist... somehow, and without judging others harshly they'll never demolish the "patriarchy". This is still the prevailing mantra of many working feminists today. For example, Tropes vs. Women video #10 is literally just called "Man with boobs."

How far we've come. :/

Yes, the feminist frequency school of thought is exactly what I was referring to.

If any appearance of a female or minority character can and will be publicity criticized, and those critics will imply that the developer / publisher in question is being sexist or racist, I think we'll see a lot fewer female and minority characters as a result, and that's a problem.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People need to stop caring what dumb shit is said on Twitter.

Its Twitter...It's pretty much its sole purpose, for people to either make an ass of themselves, or update you on utterly pointless bullshit no one could possibly care about (see ryans twitter for an example).

If you're gonna get your panties in a twist over something, dont let that thing be from twitter.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Crembaw

I pretty firmly believe in someone's right to be a shithead.

I also pretty firmly believe in someone's right to remove themselves from the presence of a shithead.

If the makers of Gone Home are really that offended by a panel where a gaggle of nerds get to be absolute shitheads, then that's fine, they can remove themselves from that environment. But in my opinion it says a lot about your resolve if you can't stand next to your opponent and shout just as loudly.

I would bet money that there's gonna be vile shit said at that panel and at some others. If they don't want to be the voice that shouts back -- either because it makes them uncomfortable or they don't think it's their place or because of any other number of reasons -- then that's their decision and I respect it. I'll still be interested in Gone Home. I'll still be interested in PAX (if in spite of its founders). Anything else is really just so much flotsam.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Your preconceived notion that only these "feminist blogs" cared about Gabe's comments is complete bullshit. I don't think any of these people expect Penny Arcade and PAX to crumble without them but if they don't support the people who run the platform, it would be pretty silly to use that same platform to spread their message.