Are you going to try out the Windows 10 Technical Preview?

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By PimblyCharles

Poll Are you going to try out the Windows 10 Technical Preview? (39 votes)

Yes 21%
Possibly 23%
No 44%
Poll Results 13%

Hi everyone! Since the Windows 10 Technical Preview is hopefully going to be available today, I was wondering if any of you are going to try it out?

I certainly plan to test it on a spare SSD I have. Will be interesting to see how gaming performs on it. I wonder if any graphics drivers will work with it. I like the idea of multiple desktops, and that raises the question if multiple games will be able to be run at once on those separate desktops. Hopefully they go into a low resource state when switched through. This is all speculation. It'll also be really interesting to test out the new start menu and its ability to use a mouse and/or touch screen to use the UI. The Modern interface in Windows 8/8.1 always felt like it was separate from using the Desktop. It's nice that they are finally making Modern apps run on the desktop in their own window. That should eliminate the feeling of two separate UI's in one OS.

Here's some information that was released my Microsoft yesterday explaining the improvements in Windows 10: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/09/30/announcing-windows-10/

Here's where the Technical Preview will be available to download at some point today: http://preview.windows.com/ (EDIT: It's currently live for joining and download!)

As a side note, I think it's incredibly smart for Microsoft to be open to share an unfinished product and build upon it from the feedback of testers. I intend to do my part and give all the feedback I can. Also really like the idea of MS finally making one OS for multiple platforms. Hopefully no more RT or other limited kernels. If they pull it off, it's going to be a win for them.

Please share your hopes and dislikes for what Microsoft is trying to accomplish with Windows 10.

• 
freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By freakin9

I'm thinking about it, though also think some of the features being added were things that should've been in win 8 to begin with(like snapping more than 2 apps). Wonder if they'll do a cheap upgrade for win 10 when it's finally released. I have heard rumors that it could possibly be a free upgrade for Win 8 users.

JackBurt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Luckily I'm in IT, so I've got some hardware to throw at this thing. I definitely want to check it out and see exactly what it can do. :) Not gonna even attempt gaming on an unfinished OS. I mean, there's SOOOO much that could be weird with drivers, and it's not going to be supported by anyone. But still, exciting to have a new OS coming soon-ish.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EXTomar

No, but it has always been my policy to never take these kinds of upgrades to my main machine (why risk taking a perfectly functional gaming machine offline for a preview that even if it does install cleanly will in most likely will not support an upgrade?).

Multiple workspace has been around forever, even on Windows but for whatever reason was never officially supported by Microsoft. Although multi-monitor support is pretty good these days for games, I have never come across a game that supports multiple workspace because it is meaningless in that context.

ps. Microsoft has always let previews out for developers. They did it for Windows 8 and got a lot of feedback in official channels and unofficial channels that there were problems, serious issues with conveyance and flow, and people would not like it...where Microsoft took all that feedback under advisement and release Windows 8 more or less exactly what was shown in release candidates.

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zamolxes

No windows 9? So are they skipping the good ones?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By PimblyCharles

Luckily I'm in IT, so I've got some hardware to throw at this thing. I definitely want to check it out and see exactly what it can do. :) Not gonna even attempt gaming on an unfinished OS. I mean, there's SOOOO much that could be weird with drivers, and it's not going to be supported by anyone. But still, exciting to have a new OS coming soon-ish.

I'm in the IT field as well. That's probably why I'm so excited to try it out. Just finished downloading the Win10x64 Technical Preview ISO and have my product key. Really excited to test it out when I get out of work today. Will give feedback here when I can.

You're right about the possible driver issues with an early build like this. Hopefully drivers aren't an issue. The one that concerns me the most is video drivers.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Running it in a virtual machine. Seems like a new version of windows 8 all right.

Messing about making sure some software runs well on it under virtualbox, vmware, kvm and hyper-v on various hardware. So far it seems ok I guess, more of the same really. I won't use the start menu just like I didn't use the W8 start screen or the W7 start menu. Haven't gotten around to looking at powershell yet, hopefully they add some cool stuff there.