Posted by mlarrabee (2967 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Are your OS's sound effects enabled? (38 votes)

All of them/Most of them 61%
Mostly disabled 13%
None. Even my "Critical Errors" are silent. 26%

The first thing I do when installing or reinstalling an OS is turn off all of the system sound effects and the bootup chime. I don't want to hear a blip when I open a new Explorer window or a shuffle when I empty the trash.

#1 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'm actually not sure. My current uptime something crazy, so I have no idea if my startup/shutdown noises go off. It goes "ding" whenever a prompt comes up so something is enabled.

#2 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I never change that stuff because I never notice it. So if they are on by default then yes they are all on? I remember years ago some guy did a Half Life 2 mod where he recorded himself making every sound effect in the game with just his voice and replaced them all in game. I always thought it was hilarious and wanted to do that with the OS sounds or some game. As always though, too lazy.

#3 Edited by CatsAkimbo (628 posts) -

Always turn everything off. It's probably a minimal difference, but all those sounds are loaded and ready to play at a moment's notice, eating up resources I'd rather put toward a game. Most tweak guides tell you to turn them off. The only important sound is when my computer is overheating, and that comes directly off the motherboard.

#4 Posted by VACkillers (1063 posts) -

of course they are :D

#5 Posted by believer258 (11948 posts) -

I never change that stuff because I never notice it. So if they are on by default then yes they are all on? I remember years ago some guy did a Half Life 2 mod where he recorded himself making every sound effect in the game with just his voice and replaced them all in game. I always thought it was hilarious and wanted to do that with the OS sounds or some game. As always though, too lazy.

Wow. I'm fully aware of how useless and stupid that is, but I am in awe of how this man has productively wasted time.

Also I leave OS sounds on. Never thought to turn them off as they don't bug me much.

#6 Posted by Fattony12000 (7454 posts) -

Nope, they haven't been on since Windows XP.

#7 Edited by Fattony12000 (7454 posts) -

Nope, they haven't been on since Windows XP.

#8 Edited by Hector (3365 posts) -

I wish I could turn of my Mac's start up sound, its soo annoying especially in the morning.

#9 Edited by Hamst3r (4491 posts) -

Fucking NO. Never.

I also disable all of the event sounds and visual notifications in other programs too. I don't want any pop-up notifications just as much as I don't want any event sounds to occur.

#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

@hector said:

I wish I could turn of my Mac's start up sound, its soo annoying especially in the morning.

Agreed! That noise is horrible, good lord. I have a MacBook, so I solve that issue by closing the lid and not turning the machine off.

Always turn everything off. It's probably a minimal difference, but all those sounds are loaded and ready to play at a moment's notice, eating up resources I'd rather put toward a game. Most tweak guides tell you to turn them off. The only important sound is when my computer is overheating, and that comes directly off the motherboard.

Also, that's one hot mess of garbage. I'd wager that those sounds don't eat up any gaming related resources at all, but even if they did, the difference would be so ridiculously minimal that you would never, ever be able to tell the difference.

#11 Edited by BigJeffrey (5021 posts) -

Windows 8 comes with USB noises, that's pretty much all the noises i hear out of my machine.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14874 posts) -

Whatever the defaults are maaaaan. That stuff doesn't bother me so I just keep that set like it was when I got everything.

#13 Posted by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -

Always off for everything.

Fuck that noise.

#14 Edited by Rayderzet (24 posts) -

I have All of them on because I dont know how to turn them off (or maybe I'm just too lazy to look for it on Google)