Are your OS's sound effects enabled?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are your OS's sound effects enabled? (38 votes)

All of them/Most of them 61%
Mostly disabled 13%
None. Even my "Critical Errors" are silent. 26%

The first thing I do when installing or reinstalling an OS is turn off all of the system sound effects and the bootup chime. I don't want to hear a blip when I open a new Explorer window or a shuffle when I empty the trash.

• 
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm actually not sure. My current uptime something crazy, so I have no idea if my startup/shutdown noises go off. It goes "ding" whenever a prompt comes up so something is enabled.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

I never change that stuff because I never notice it. So if they are on by default then yes they are all on? I remember years ago some guy did a Half Life 2 mod where he recorded himself making every sound effect in the game with just his voice and replaced them all in game. I always thought it was hilarious and wanted to do that with the OS sounds or some game. As always though, too lazy.

Loading Video...

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By CatsAkimbo

Always turn everything off. It's probably a minimal difference, but all those sounds are loaded and ready to play at a moment's notice, eating up resources I'd rather put toward a game. Most tweak guides tell you to turn them off. The only important sound is when my computer is overheating, and that comes directly off the motherboard.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

of course they are :D

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I never change that stuff because I never notice it. So if they are on by default then yes they are all on? I remember years ago some guy did a Half Life 2 mod where he recorded himself making every sound effect in the game with just his voice and replaced them all in game. I always thought it was hilarious and wanted to do that with the OS sounds or some game. As always though, too lazy.

Loading Video...

Wow. I'm fully aware of how useless and stupid that is, but I am in awe of how this man has productively wasted time.

Also I leave OS sounds on. Never thought to turn them off as they don't bug me much.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, they haven't been on since Windows XP.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fattony12000

Nope, they haven't been on since Windows XP.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Hector

I wish I could turn of my Mac's start up sound, its soo annoying especially in the morning.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Hamst3r

Fucking NO. Never.

I also disable all of the event sounds and visual notifications in other programs too. I don't want any pop-up notifications just as much as I don't want any event sounds to occur.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@hector said:

I wish I could turn of my Mac's start up sound, its soo annoying especially in the morning.

Agreed! That noise is horrible, good lord. I have a MacBook, so I solve that issue by closing the lid and not turning the machine off.

Always turn everything off. It's probably a minimal difference, but all those sounds are loaded and ready to play at a moment's notice, eating up resources I'd rather put toward a game. Most tweak guides tell you to turn them off. The only important sound is when my computer is overheating, and that comes directly off the motherboard.

Also, that's one hot mess of garbage. I'd wager that those sounds don't eat up any gaming related resources at all, but even if they did, the difference would be so ridiculously minimal that you would never, ever be able to tell the difference.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By bigjeffrey

Windows 8 comes with USB noises, that's pretty much all the noises i hear out of my machine.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Whatever the defaults are maaaaan. That stuff doesn't bother me so I just keep that set like it was when I got everything.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Always off for everything.

Fuck that noise.

Rayderzet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Rayderzet

I have All of them on because I dont know how to turn them off (or maybe I'm just too lazy to look for it on Google)