Is upgrading worth it?

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Currently right now im sitting on an I7-3770, 16gb of DDR3 Ram, and a GTX 970.

I keep looking at new processors and I can't seem to see much of a speed difference. I'd like to upgrade if I knew it was worth it, but at this point it just seems like I'd be throwing my money in a hole for minimal performance return.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep thats about it. Processor is more than fine.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah video card may give you a little something but i think you're already fine for most games at 1080p unless you want maxed out at 60fps. 1070 *might* be worth it then but it's diminishing returns.

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By swat200

Ok that's what i figured, thanks for the help :)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd wait a bit longer on the processor. There's nothing right now that your processor won't be fine with, so you might as well wait another year or two for better tech to come. GPU's have been the most impressive thing this year so far but since you're at a 970 already you don't need to upgrade. My rule of thumb is if you can get away with waiting then it's better to wait. And you can definitely get away with waiting. There's always newer and better on the horizon anyway.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have close to the same build as you. Don't see why you have an urge to upgrade. I think you should be find for about 2 years.

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have pretty much the same specs (though i have an older i5 processor overclocked to 4.2ghz). I'd only consider the upgrade if you're jumping to 4k gaming. Personally I'm fine with 1080p for the time being and our rigs run everything fine at that resolution.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OurSin_360

I look at it like this, are you having any issues and do you plan on playing at a higher resolution? If not then stick with what you have until performance becomes an issue. Also consider if you care about vr or not.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wish I had your processor. I have a first gen i7 950, and I feel compelled to upgrade (really almost new build) this winter. Though I have to admit, with the Titan I foolishly bought and I'm sure being throttled by the CPU, still games are running well!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@bybeach said:

I wish I had your processor. I have a first gen i7 950, and I feel compelled to upgrade (really almost new build) this winter. Though I have to admit, with the Titan I foolishly bought and I'm sure being throttled by the CPU, still games are running well!

I had that CPU until my rebuild two years ago now, and I would highly recommend upgrading if you can! I even dropped to an i5 rather than an i7 (4690k to be precise) but it was worth it, the 950 was really feeling old.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Everything except the GPU is still way ahead of anything any game is going to demand of your rig for some time. And even the GPU is still pretty damn good if you don't plan on playing anything at resolutions higher than 1080p and/or you don't plan on doing VR.

Get an SSD if you don't have one, I guess.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

An SSD and a Nvidia 1070 or 1080 would work nicely.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#13  Edited By Eder

I also have a 970 but i5-2500k and 8g of ram. I put WoW on medium because it was chugging. Could it have been my CPU? I know a 970 isnt the best out there right now but cmon its WoW. Also I am rocking an SSD. This has made me want to upgrade my CPU as well. But anywhere I look people tell me games should still run fine.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't have one, get a damn SSD and watch your load times on everything installed on it (including Windows) decrease by 90%