Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

don't know which one.

I don't understand the difference between these:

http://www.amazon.ca/GeForce-GTX970-OC-4GB-GDDR5/dp/B00NN0GIA0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1417162602&sr=8-5&keywords=gtx+970

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NVODXR4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1C948DT1H0FGCV768P8P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1947489602&pf_rd_i=915398

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NN0GEXQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1C948DT1H0FGCV768P8P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1947489602&pf_rd_i=915398

The first two say superclocked and overclocked so I guess that's a difference but the last one also costs more with seemingly no difference. No idea why I should pick one over the others. The first on is available for a bit cheaper on another site so that's the one I'm leaning towards. I obviously get that MSI makes the first and third and EVGA makes the second and they're different cooling systems but after that I'm kind of lost.

I also haven't been able to find a reasonably priced 4k or even 1440p monitor. Someone previously suggested a Dell U2414H when I asked for a general monitor replacment but that's only 1080p and I skipped it due to the ridiculous Canadian price. However, it's now reasonably priced at $250 so was thinking of going with that anyway. Any more suggestions there are also welcome.

TheKreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The difference between the two MSI cards is that the more expensive one has an additional D-Sub output, and also has a "gaming mode" and "oc mode" which both have higher core clock speeds than the cheaper card.

Last I heard the EVGA card was having some issues, but they might have been fixed by now.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have the MSI one and I'm enjoying Dragon Age at around 80fps avg on 1080. I did a quick google that gave me the maximum amount of OC the card apparently can do at 110% maximum power increase so I'm running at 1502mhz. Join me and laugh out loud at the console debates.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first EVGA 970 had issues but I sent it back and the one they replaced it with has been working perfectly. Normally EVGA is top notch, but there first batch of 970s appeared to be pretty fucked. Looks like they have sorted that out.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the monitor check display lag, out of the ones on there for 1440p monitors I'd go for the Asus PB278Q which has $250 off on Amazon at the moment.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with the Gigabyte 970 and it's been great. This was my basic thought process:

• eVGA seems like they bungled this round. The problems have been documented numerously, so I won't even bother.
  • ASUS did a nice job with cooling, but the power ceiling is much lower than the others.
  • MSI was a close second, but ultimately the sporadic reports of coil whine coupled with the lack of a backplate made me turn away
  • Gigabyte has the highest overclock, a backplate, and a great cooling solution. The only downside is the card is absolutely huge thanks to their cooler adding a good chunk of length.
Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with the Gigabyte 970 and it's been great. This was my basic thought process:

• eVGA seems like they bungled this round. The problems have been documented numerously, so I won't even bother.
  • ASUS did a nice job with cooling, but the power ceiling is much lower than the others.
  • MSI was a close second, but ultimately the sporadic reports of coil whine coupled with the lack of a backplate made me turn away
  • Gigabyte has the highest overclock, a backplate, and a great cooling solution. The only downside is the card is absolutely huge thanks to their cooler adding a good chunk of length.

To be fair. I have the Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 and it fits great in my Corsair 750D. I wouldn't want a smaller card, aesthetically speaking.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hardywells: Yeah, I'm still rocking my old P182 Special Edition (because mirrors) and it only fits with the extra drive cage removed (which I did for cooling years ago). Newer mammoth cases probably fit it fine, but it still feels huge at more than a foot long.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the differences aren't really worth the $70-$90 more? Other than avoiding eVGA.

Thanks for the monitor suggestion but that's way more in Canada. Might be due to being sold through a supplier instead of amazon themselves though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Just went through the same process. I settled on the Gigabyte G1. It has the best cooling, best overclocking, etc. It's also recommended over every other card by pretty much every site and forum.

Edit:

I also just bought the Dell 2715h for $250. It's two years old now but has amazingly low input lag and it's really beautiful with some awesome colors. It's only 1080p but it's not a good time right now to upgrade. If you get a 1440p monitor, you're going to be charged too much and the same goes for 4k monitors. We're at the point where 4k/5k will be coming along really hard over the next year or two and we can expect to see some drastic price decreases. I went for the 1080p at a lower price because my old monitor was awful and $250 isn't bad. I don't mind shelling out another $300-400 for a great 4k monitor in a year or two. I'll use this 2715h for my server.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Penderton

So this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9557676&CatId=7387 ? or this one? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9193568&CatId=7387

Amazon's prices went up instead of down. =\

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Devildoll

a 970 is a 970.

Pick the one with the best cooler, and then handle any overclocking yourself.

It is very rare that any factory overclock is so substantial that it you cant do it on your own.

Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devildoll: This is not 100% true. Normally the factory overclocked chips are chips that have been "binned" and ensured they not only perform as advertised but better. Every series normally has a manufacturer(s) who bins better. This go around it seems like MSI and Gigabyte did the best job. So while I agree most cards will perform the same close to stock, some can OC upwards to 15 - 20%.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Devildoll
@hardywells said:

@devildoll: This is not 100% true. Normally the factory overclocked chips are chips that have been "binned" and ensured they not only perform as advertised but better. Every series normally has a manufacturer(s) who bins better. This go around it seems like MSI and Gigabyte did the best job. So while I agree most cards will perform the same close to stock, some can OC upwards to 15 - 20%.

what i'm saying is that, if you buy a card with a decent cooler, you too can set its frequencies to that of any factory overclocked version of that card.

just so that i'm not misunderstanding what you are saying, binning has no effect on performance per clock. any 970 @ 1 GHz will perform identically to any other 970 @ 1 GHz.

a higher binned card has potential reach a higher frequency than a lower binned card, if they are binning for frequency that is, and not something else.

Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devildoll: That's what I mean higher achievable over clock. Which if OP is willing to OC anyway, why not get a better chip?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Get the stock one from Nvidia. It looks awesome.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hardywells: well the only binning you can take for granted is for the frequency it is sold as, which usually isn't much higher than stock, but sure, if it doesn't cost anything extra, why not.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mess around with OC stuff myself.

Just to make sure...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9193564&CatId=7387 This one is not OC'd

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9193566&CatId=7387 This one is.

They're the same price so it's better to get the second because there's no other significant difference?

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devildoll

@penderton: same card, one is factory overclocked, according to msi's website the difference is

1076 MHz core ( 1216 MHz Boost ) VS 1051 MHz core ( 1178 MHz boost )

so, 25 MHz ( 38 MHz ) extra out of the box if you buy the oc version.