Viewtiful Joe does that game still hold up?

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By jamin

I am looking at some PS2 classics and I am wondering if this game is worth a play in 2014? It seemed to be great in the day but I have never played it.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By majormitch

I haven't played it in a long time, but I would guess it holds up just fine. The visuals are very cartoony and stylized (in a good way), so I would think they would age a lot better than something that was going for "realism". And I can't think of anything about how the game plays that should feel too dated. It's a side scrolling action/beat-em-up that controls well. I may be biased, because I liked the game a lot, and haven't played it in a long time, but I think it should hold up just fine in 2014.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Corevi

It holds up wonderfully (pardon the pun). It is pretty hard but it's completely fair.

This thread would probably be better in the Viewtiful Joe forum instead of PS2 though, especially since it was originally a Gamecube exclusive.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I remember really liking that game, but got stuck on capcom's classic "boss rush" levels and couldn't get past them.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ducksworth

It's a fantastic game with a great sense of style, the last stretch of the game is brutal. If you do get the game there are a few techniques you'll probably need to know about to make it through the game without ripping your hair out...specifically a combination of Slow + Zoom + Punch.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I haven't played the game in years, but I watched a speed run earlier this year during the Awesome Games Done Quick stream that was incredible. Made me remember how fantastic that game was, and I assume is. Not that I would ever come close to speed run level of playing.

You should play it if you have the opportunity.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I've never finished it, but it is a really fun game to play. Hulk Davidson can go suck an egg, though. He's such a jerk.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:

It holds up wonderfully (pardon the pun).

What?

Platinum made a game called Wonderful 101 that's basically a big love letter to Viewtiful Joe, it even has Silvia in it!

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes. totally!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I played it for the first time about a month ago and didn't much care for it. Though I'd say that's mostly because I really dislike Viewtiful Joe himself and think the movement is a little slow, and not because it hasn't aged well. I probably would have still disliked it back when it was new.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@yummylee said:

I played it for the first time about a month ago and didn't much care for it. Though I'd say that's mostly because I really dislike Viewtiful Joe himself and think the movement is a little slow, and not because it hasn't aged well. I probably would have still disliked it back when it was new.

This pretty much mimics how I experienced the game too. I had actually played it back around release, but I don't remember how I felt about it then. I think it maybe hasn't aged perfectly, compared to some other PS2 games, but I also don't really care for it much.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@starvinggamer said:
@corruptedevil said:

It holds up wonderfully (pardon the pun).

What?

Platinum made a game called Wonderful 101 that's basically a big love letter to Viewtiful Joe, it even has Silvia in it!

That's like 7 degrees of seperat-pun...?

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#14  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I only remember the GameCube version but on that platform it definitely holds up. It's a Kamiya action game so it'll take awhile to really figure out the mechanics, but once you do it's a blast.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Chocobodude3

Heck yeah!!!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I played it recently.

It's still fun, all-be-it super short.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

If I remember it right, it's a 2D platformer, brawler right? So I bet it holds up as well any other game in that genre. So I would say it doesn't. But someone else would disagree.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It was a weird feeling, divisive game back then too. I'd say it holds up.

Not sure which version is best but can vouch for GC.