Hotline Miami and Spelunky merged?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

So, uh, yeah. I'm experiencing the craziest shit right now. I just got a PS4(Special thanks to @yummylee but more on that later!) and I was downloading my backlog of PS+ games. Among them were Hotline Miami and Spelunky. I've already played and enjoyed them on PS3, but I wanted to see them in exclusive 10803Dp60FPSultraboogaloo mode.

Spelunky was being fucky with its update not wanting to install but Hotline Miami worked fine. Then I was looking for Hotline Miami and it was gone. That's when I noticed I had TWO Spelunky icons, but one was actually Hotline Miami!

I played Hotline some and everything was fine. I was getting trophies and having fun and whatnot. But it didn't look right. I wanted that hot cover art all up in my dashboard, so I tried deleting them both to reinstall them. Spelunky deleted surprisingly quick, but Hotline Miami ended up causing some epic crash with my PS4 and caused it to go totally catatonic. I couldn't even shut the thing down. All menus were unresponsive and also completely empty. The only option was pulling the cord entirely. So I yanked it and prayed. Turned my PS4 back on and... Spelunky was still there, and so was Hotline Miami! But, I had just deleted them? And they each had their actual icons. Everything worked out, right? Well, sorta...

No Caption Provided

As you can see from this image, there's no Hotline Miami trophy list. Even though I had just got done playing some levels and earning some trophies. And that's when I noticed this...

No Caption Provided

These trophies were earned... while I was playing Hotline Miami! I was actually really excited to see what I was getting because they seemed to imply I was doing some impressive shit. Not only that, notice how I completed 100% of the journal before completing 50%. It also seems to be incredibly difficult to earn as the Ultra Rare status seems to indicate only 0.1% of all players across the world have earned it.

So I'm not sure what happened, but somehow Hotline Miami merged with Spelunky's trophy list and deleted its own trophy list. No amount of syncing seems to change anything. And I'm getting a bunch of ultra rare trophies in the process.

I don't know what do. I don't know if this is going to mess anything up in the long term or not, but this was certainly an interesting revelation. I've been a member of the next gen for less than a week and my life is already more exciting.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Spelunky wasn't worth those 80 hours anyway, success! To be fair Spelunky's a perfectly fine game it just doesn't merit as much attention as Rogue Legacy/FTL/Rebirth.

Play Alien.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spelunky wasn't worth those 80 hours anyway, success! To be fair Spelunky's a perfectly fine game it just doesn't merit as much attention as Rogue Legacy/FTL/Rebirth.

Play Alien.

So far I've got all of those games and I didn't really "get" Binding of Isaac but then I didn't really put any serious time into it. Rogue Legacy is fucking hard as shit, but I liked what I played. And of course FTL is still my favorite of them all. That game is rad.

Wasn't really into Alien: Isolation. Though, it was on the PS3 with insane loading times. I might get around to it on PS4 and see what all the hubbub's about!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@fredchuckdave: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth > Spelunky > Rogue Legacy > FTL.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've had a PS4 since launch and this actually just happened to me for the first time earlier this week. In my case Apotheon's icon was replaced by Transistor's. It was normal at first, but after going into rest mode and coming back they had "merged". They were downloaded at the same time and I'm thinking that is relevant.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

@n7 This seems to be an occasional problem on the PS4 when downloading a couple items at once. I had this happen with Road Not Taken and Spelunky back when I first got my PS4.

The solution seems to be:

1. Delete both games
  2. Turn off the PS4
  3. Boot into Safe Mode (hold down the power button for 7+ seconds, releasing only after you've heard 2 distinct beeps)
  4. Choose 'Rebuild Database'
  5. Redownload the games, and you should be good.

Hopefully this helps!

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@beachthunder: Completely reverse that, and then you have it right.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spelunky is one of the best designed games ever, and Rogue Legacy is overrated. PEACE OUT.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Y2Ken

This is nuts. Let us know if anything more comes of it!

Swap FTL and RL around, and I think I'm okay with that. All great games, though.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All y'all who're saying that Rogue Legacy or Binding of Isaac is better than Spelunky are certifiable! Spelunky is 10 times the game either of those is. And I'm saying that as a fan and a person who've beaten all four games.

I could see arguing for FTL, but lets get real here: FTL is a fine game, but it's no Spelunky.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 This seems to be an occasional problem on the PS4 when downloading a couple items at once. I had this happen with Road Not Taken and Spelunky back when I first got my PS4.

The solution seems to be:

1. Delete both games
  2. Turn off the PS4
  3. Boot into Safe Mode (hold down the power button for 7+ seconds, releasing only after you've heard 2 distinct beeps)
  4. Choose 'Rebuild Database'
  5. Redownload the games, and you should be good.

Hopefully this helps!

I'm scared to try this again. I deleted Spelunky fine, but Hotline Miami turned the PS4 into a potato and crashed it hard. Now when I look at the Update History for Hotline Miami it just shows the Outlast update history.

I did do that the first time, though. After the hard crash I rebuilt the database, but instead of redownloading the games, they were both back. I just got a PS4, I'm not brave enough to try and kill it again.

Also it seems I've lit the spark of debate amongst the roguelike community. FTL has lazors and spaceships so FTL wins.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Bollard

I find all of these games varying shades of boring! I guess Rogue-likes aren't my thing. Especially not ones with awkward platforming (I'm looking at you Spelunky and Rogue Legacy).

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami is on PS4? When did that happen? Is the old PS3 PS+ version playable on PS4?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami is on PS4? When did that happen? Is the old PS3 PS+ version playable on PS4?

It's been available for awhile, it is a PS4 version, but it is also cross-buy with the PS3/Vita versions.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yall be frontin'. Luftrausers > Risk of Rain > all the other junk yall have on display here.

I'm helpful.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ghostiet said:

@original_hank said:

Rogue Legacy is overrated. PEACE OUT.

Word.

All these games are overrated and Hotline Miami is the best, so whatevs, enjoy this opinion while playing your baby rogue-likes.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should probably point out that I'm getting Hotline Miami trophies now. I just beat Hotline Miami and didn't get a single Spelunky trophy. So everything worked out in the end I hope.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a minute with that title I thought you were discovering a new game that combined elements of Hotline Miami and Spelunky for some new level of craziness.

That's kind of cool though what happened, at least I think so, trophies are pretty much meaningless to me so if one of my games ever unlocked trophies for another game I would kind of think it was a silly little thing to tease my friends with "Look how good I am at this game, aw yeah"

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

For a minute with that title I thought you were discovering a new game that combined elements of Hotline Miami and Spelunky for some new level of craziness.

That's kind of cool though what happened, at least I think so, trophies are pretty much meaningless to me so if one of my games ever unlocked trophies for another game I would kind of think it was a silly little thing to tease my friends with "Look how good I am at this game, aw yeah"

Yeah I tried to come up with a different title but it wouldn't fit within the character limit. My bad.

I think it was cool too but also a little disappointing. I went on a pretty brutal streak in Hotline Miami and trophies started dinging left and right. I was all excited like I did something. Nope. Just lucked out on some crazy glitch. I wonder if I'll get in any sort of trouble for having the trophy for beating Spelunky on hard without getting the one for beating the game... considering I was playing Hotline Miami at the time. Hopefully not but I'll wind up paranoid now.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Years later, we're still discovering new things about Spelunky.

I thought I did everything, but they didn't give me a Platinum. Maybe you found a secret way to finally get one?

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Play Alien.

Merely mentioning Rogue Legacy in the same sentence as the others is insulting, no depth simply grinding which essentially removes any attempt at being a rogue-lite.

marchismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would play a Spelunky/Hotline Miami hybrid with an Erik Suhrke soundtrack

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By RonGalaxy

Spelunky is way better designed then rebirth, but rebirth has so many variables that make it way crazier. I lean towards spelunky being better because the gameplay is more rewarding. Rogue legacy is definitely overrated. FTL is cool.

Hotline Miami's got styyyyyyle