Should Sony pre-load Planetside 2/Retribution on the PS4?

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I think Sony could only benefit by pre-loading some of the launch F2P games onto the PS4 so gamers can hop in and start playing games out of the box. Hell, you could throw a big sticker on the box, "Includes 2 games, pre-loaded and ready to play!" or something like that. People love free stuff, and both PS2 and Retribution are looking like they will be pretty awesome on the PS4.

Opinions?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EXTomar

That would be nice but as a matter of "default image" I would like it if they kept it as small and clean as possible. The issue is as time goes on the more and more patching needs to happen where the user who is recovering or starting over doesn't need to download a major patch to get back to latest OS and then spend a bunch of OB time downloading a patches for a game they might not play.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think Sony could only benefit by pre-loading some of the launch F2P games onto the PS4 so gamers can hop in and start playing games out of the box. Hell, you could throw a big sticker on the box, "Includes 2 games, pre-loaded and ready to play!" or something like that. People love free stuff, and both PS2 and Retribution are looking like they will be pretty awesome on the PS4.

Opinions?

I believe that Planetside 2 will already be available at launch, unless I heard incorrectly. Along with the other F2P games as well.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's a terrible idea, having games preloaded onto a system. Single player games would make more sense, but it would also be a smart marketing move to identify as a great system for multiplayer shooters right at launch considering how outrageously popular they currently are on the 360.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well, dont they have that system where you can play as the game is downloading? also, people with no interest in the games will just have to go and delete those games and complain about how space on their console is being taken up by something that they couldnt care less about. Also, depending on when those consoles are bought, there will always be updates. So the games will have to update and I am not sure how big the updates could be but they will hamper the customers positive reaction

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@lord_xp: I think he meant that the game would be installed on the HDD already. They'd then be able to say "yo it's got free games you can play right out of the box" or whatever.

It's not a terrible idea I guess; I don't think those are broadly appealing or big enough games to necessarily justify Sony doing it though.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Planetside 2 sure but Blacklight retribution............I'm not sure that game would give the best impression of the PS4, just saying.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

That would be cool. Planetside 2 and Warframe.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrOldboy

I don't think putting a F2P game on the system pre-installed is a good idea though, it makes it look like you are trying to push the consumer to spend money on something they may or may not want. If they included some free money to spend in that game it might work out better. But to a lot of people it'll just look like bloatware since its something that everyone gets for free, the benefit is fairly small.

There would need to be some benefit beyond, hey you don't have to download this to play it.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jazzycola

@mroldboy: You are jumping to some really big and weird conclusions. How is putting a game on a harddrive pushing the consumer to spend money on something they may or may not want? It's no different than the hundreds of bundles Sony has put together over the years and you don't need to spend money to have a good time in Planetside 2.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they should pre load all their free to play stuff on the machine (including DCU and warframe,), its a potentially powerful thing to tell the user he has 3-5 games that he can play all the way through without spending money. for free.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrOldboy

@jazzycola: Its a different thing if they offered a Planetside 2 PS4 bundle that came with the game preloaded and some in game currency. That would be more similar to the bundles they offer now. Something of value that the consumer would have to otherwise pay for if not for the bundle.

I like the idea of pushing the free games, either in advertising or straight on the box. Even go as far as to advertise the perpetually free games on PS+ and include a month free. But give consumers the choice to download the free software or not.

You get the same advertising effect of saying on the box "Every PS4 comes with Three FREE games", since they are free games that anyone who has a PS4 can access. I don't see the need to pre-load the games, especially since they require internet access to play anyways.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By THRICE_604

It should come pre-loaded with Planetside 2 and DC Universe. They are Sony developed games. It makes sense. It also gives you a free to play shooter and a free MMO. If anything just to show you hey this is what this system is capable of. Experiences either impossible on the old consoles or totally gimped previously.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chrissedoff

I don't like them telling me what I should play. Keep my hard drive clean out of the box and I'll tell them what I want to play. If I really wanted to play these games, I already would be playing them.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

Nah, I'll download it if I want it. I want my system to be fresh upon opening.

Avatar image for badass_master_blaster
Badass_Master_Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldnt agree more, im afraid the numbers wont be as good on pc because of bad awareness that the game is actually free....anyone know the hdd space planetside would take up anyhow???

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No absolutely not. If people want them they can download them, its free and not so hard.

PS Plus already has a download recommend games option. I imagine Sony will download these F2P games automatically if that option is selected.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be aswome...

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djou said:

No absolutely not. If people want them they can download them, its free and not so hard.

Deleting them if you don't want them is even less hard.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its a good idea, cause it is a time saver. If you want to get these free to play games you would have to wait as they download. Instead there will probably be a small patch rather than the whole download, its a time saver. If you don't want it delete it, only takes a few moments and its like when you buy a new PC it loaded with a lot of software you don't want. If all the systems have 500GB there should be plenty of room. In fact they should preload driveclub if its going to be free for plus members, just leave of one small download key needed to get started once you set up you plus account.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It would save me the hour or so I would otherwise spend downloading Planetside, so sure! Doubt it'll actually happen though.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp: I think he meant that the game would be installed on the HDD already. They'd then be able to say "yo it's got free games you can play right out of the box" or whatever.

It's not a terrible idea I guess; I don't think those are broadly appealing or big enough games to necessarily justify Sony doing it though.

If it works like advertised you only need to download a small amount and then can play. so there is no need to pre load stuff.

Bleaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I wouldn't think that would be a good idea, seeing as they are online only games. There are still a lot of people who don't play internet on their consoles believe it or not. They would have games on there they couldn't access. I'm thinking more singleplayer content pre-loaded.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleaker said:

I wouldn't think that would be a good idea, seeing as they are online only games. There are still a lot of people who don't play internet on their consoles believe it or not. They would have games on there they couldn't access. I'm thinking more singleplayer content pre-loaded.

I have a feeling there are more people with internet gaming online than there are people who don't.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Guess if Sony's "play while you download" functionality pans out, it won't be an issue.

Seeing that PS2 is a Sony owned property tho, I could still see them packing it in the box on a disc maybe to install if someone chose to.