Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's weird how the Series X is much smaller than I anticipated and the PS5 is SO MUCH bigger.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice that the panels are easy to remove. I'd be tempted to just leave them off.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Interesting engineering and what seems like really nice build quality. It is striking though how much volume the casing itself takes up. It does seem that there's a lot of room to shrink the package up into a PS5 Slim type design.

I also wonder if them showing those dust collector holes implies that it's something users should do regularly.

GiantRobot24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

It's weird how the Series X is much smaller than I anticipated and the PS5 is SO MUCH bigger.

I'm having the exact same reaction and it's hurting my brain. I pictured the Series X as a towering monolith and the PS5 as a normal sized, if maybe slightly bigger, console.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantrobot24: it looks fairly normal lying down horizontally which seems like the preferred way to position it rather than in the vertical.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That's a bad looking console.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it voids warranty if you remove the winged plates and do a custom paint job to them? Either way I'm really glad they put out this neat video.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@humanity said:

For real. Maybe Sony just chose a svelte representative for the purposes of this video, but it makes the console itself appear positively enormous. It literally stretches the length of his entire torso.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

that thing is literally the size of his entire torso

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone getting launch model PS3 vibes from this? The curvy case plus the heat sink at the bottom remind me a lot of the Spider-font console.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikewhy

That PCB is giant. And I have no idea how much this type of thing would add to the total cost, but the rotating base to safely store a single screw seems a bit much to me. Like why not just use a captive screw?

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I really don't like the look and would prefer to wait for the eventual slim model.

I already bought the Xbox S and I have a PS4 pro. Plenty of games to keep me busy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well considering early reports are saying the series x is just a giant oven, I'd rather a system be huge and stay cool(there's a reason standard pc cases are a thing) than be able to fit in a cubby and have another red ring fiasco.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet it's loud. It definitely looks intricate like the PS3 under the hood. It gets me thinking about the SCIENCE behind packaging a console. I hope there's some nuts theory about heat management and making sure stuff is in the right place.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well considering early reports are saying the series x is just a giant oven,

You mean that report where they misquoted Bakalar?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wonder if it voids warranty if you remove the winged plates and do a custom paint job to them? Either way I'm really glad they put out this neat video.

Taking the plates off doesn't seem an issue but I bet if you RMA a painted console they send it right back untouched. I remember EVGA getting massive good will for being the only gfx card maker who would honour guarantees if you replaced the fan with a water cooling block.

I would expect third party shell replacements to be a thing though.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat said:

I expect that as long as you don't remove those stickers like he does to get to the screws on the chassis, your warranty will be fine. The plates seem to be made to be easily removed, and I'd be surprised if customized ones don't show up for sale like the 360 face plates.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: among others, the articles I've seen that quote Backalar aren't a misquote, they clarify that it "won't burn your house down" or necessarily cause issues, but it DOES get hot. Which who knows what that hea will do over the course of the life of the system.

If people are saying it's hot, they must be comparing it to something and the most logical thing would be other systems.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to throw shade at MS. I bought both. I'm just saying Sony made a good call even if it is a detriment to esthetic.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reap3r160: I have no opinion either way until people get their hands on final hardware and we start seeing real-world numbers, but the Series X cooling system should be able to get rid of a lot of heat. Just having a larger case doesn't make cooling better if air circulation is bad.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

I also wonder if them showing those dust collector holes implies that it's something users should do regularly.

I would assume that is the goal. Help keep the systems from becoming a rocket engine after a year or two.

Also, I absolutely love how over designed the stand is.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

At 2:04 he says "the white panels on both sides can be removed by the users themselves". (according to officially supplied English subtitles on the video)

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really get why people are freaking out over Jeff Bakalar's expansion drive being hot. Of course the expansion drive was hot - plug in drives like that involve metal-to-metal contact, very close to the other heat-producing components in the system.

Cooling systems for any piece of equipment does not make its components run/feel cool to the touch. It simply works to remove heat from the system to avoid it overheating. It's still going to generate heat, and you're still going to find that heat if you look for it; say, on an expansion card that slots in close to the other main system components.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone ever run a PC? They exhaust hot air. That is how the cooling system works. The XSX is a small (in comparison) form factor PC so is going to get even hotter. It is the cooling system doing it's job. As long as it stays within the designed thermal margins it should have no long term impact on reliability.

PS5 apparently runs cooler and in the teardown you can see why. Big brute force heatsink, fan and large case. Which is the best approach? Hopefully both methods work fine. Only time will tell.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It biggg than I thought....I honestly don't know if I have the space for this console. Unless Sony come out with a press release of "Sorry, engineer actually 3ft tall", this looks bigger than every horizontal or vertical space I have right now. My own fault for not considering how big it really was but...just kinda wow I guess. "Ambitious".

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petesix0: I mean, they showed measurements right at the top. You don't have to guess. It'll fit either vertically or horizontally in my entertainment center with a few adjustments.

And, yeah, that's actually a pretty small dude.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: I saw the numbers(And will at some point fish out a tape measure), this is just the first time I've seen it like this. I steadfastly refuse to search for "Sony Engineer Measurements". I ain't going on that list.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@aradikus said:

@mikewhy: I might be mistaken, but it doesn't rotate to simply store the screw. I believe it needs to be rotated one way to stand the console vertically and the other way for horizontal, the odd slopes of the white panels necessitate this. In any case for a display stand it seems over-engineered, but I can honestly say I am totally into the whole design situation! I admit it's pretty ridiculous but I love it. Happy to see the return on the "horizontal stand" like in the PS2 days lol

Correct.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone ever run a PC? They exhaust hot air. That is how the cooling system works. The XSX is a small (in comparison) form factor PC so is going to get even hotter. It is the cooling system doing it's job. As long as it stays within the designed thermal margins it should have no long term impact on reliability.

PS5 apparently runs cooler and in the teardown you can see why. Big brute force heatsink, fan and large case. Which is the best approach? Hopefully both methods work fine. Only time will tell.

Agreed. I think Series X will run quiet and PS5 will run quiet...and feel cool to the touch. But, if you are not packing-up your the Series X to move it after playing that might not matter.

My own thoughts:
Both system will seemingly be using a lot of energy. That energy becomes heat. That heat when moved away from the system into the 'environment (your room) will heat the air. Both systems will do that - both will dump a fair amount of heart into the room - just very quietly. Sony might just have the advantage that it pushes the heat out more effectively and might not heat its own case as much. Yet, both will heat up our room because both draw a fair bit of power. Its physics heat that is made is heat that needs to be dissipated out of the system and then out of the room...magic doesn't help. ;-)

What will be interesting to see is which system stays quite longer. Which systems will be easier to clean or need less cleaning because of design? Both system teardown for Series X and PS5 seem to show both system come apart fairly neatly. But, I won't lie, PS5 looks like it was more expertly engineered.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By north6

The PS5 is one plain small white button up shirt tall. That's huge!

x_SammyD_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: it doesn’t, the warranty voids when you take off the black plastic underneath, you see it in the video when he peels the sticker. Even then in the Us the warranty isn’t voided when you add storage that was the ruling of that court case a year or two ago

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By monkeyking1969
@ghost_cat said:

It should take paint just fine its will be a PC/ABS (Polycarbonate ABD alloy plastic) that will take paint.

What interest me is that give the mechanisms that hold it in place the covers could LOOK like anything as long as they let air into the back central section.

• Want a more squared-off rectangle? That could be made.
  • Want the PS5 to be a beachball sized sphere? Some crazy person could make that.
  • Want the PS5 to be as slim as possible & as flat as possible? Some perosn or company will do that too.

After the PS5 launches someone will make a 3D printer STL/OBJ file with the pin layout that would allow someone to 3D print their own shell. I'd do that in ABS because PLA or Nylon would be too soft for the temperature the console will reach. But, I 100% guarantee that a few days after launch, someone with some CAD experience will have an STL/OBJ file up for free.

akira_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two take aways.

1. You can vacuum the heatsink without tearing it apart.

2. You can remove the fan for cleaning.

After 6 years of ownership those things get clogged, my PS3 was filthy when I cracked her open after only 3 years. This will make a launch PS5 much quieter towards the end of the generation.

quadeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that expandable storage bay not the nail in the coffin for xbox?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quadeo: I think a lot of enthusiasts are vastly overestimating how much the common consumer cares about this sort of stuff. Most people will just delete a game to free up space and not think about this too hard. I imagine that the people that feel the need to have 5-10 games installed at a time and rotate between them regularly are in a vast minority.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quadeo said:

Is that expandable storage bay not the nail in the coffin for xbox?

If you want a drive you put in the bay to actually work with PS5 games, it needs to be PCIe 4.0, and more specifically it needs to be on Sony's approved list. Given those requirements, I doubt it'll end up being much cheaper than the Series X expansion cards.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@quadeo: I think a lot of enthusiasts are vastly overestimating how much the common consumer cares about this sort of stuff.

ha- apply this to every component of prelaunch 'discourse.' in fact, i'd wager new consoles are fully off the radar of most consumers, let alone discussions of solid state storage solutions.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found my tape measure. I have no horizontal space for a PS5 currently(I have shelves but they're all full), but I have space for vertical orientation, on my unit underneath my TV. The clearance I have, is 40cm. The PS5 is 39cm, and I've seen people guessing the base adds another ~1.5cm. My TV is up a height, but from the sitting angle I have, this means a PS5 would only need a customized gumball machine case to feel like I have Tom Servo in front of me. (Someone plz make Tom Servo case panels for the PS5)

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it was first shown I thought the PS5 was gaudy and ridiculous. As time has gone on I'm kind of into it. Like, it will definitely stand out in anyone's room or entertainment center (if it even fits that is). Also that tear down video was fascinating. It seems very high tech. And that heat sink has some junk in the trunk.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

Nice that the panels are easy to remove. I'd be tempted to just leave them off.

Removal of the sides might effect fan efficiency. With fans the path of air sometimes is HOW the proper function is achived. Leaving the sides off might result in 'worse' dust infiltration. Or, it might not move air where the system wants the air to travel. Or, it could have little effect; but why risk it?. My guess if if you don't like the wavy shape that a 3rd party might make sides that might suit what you needed better.

Thus, is would be VERY hesitant to take the side off permanently.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By frytup

@monkeyking1969: I'm sure we'll have plenty of test data from people trying it with the panels off very soon. I also wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of sensor in the console that won't allow it to run with panels removed without some modifications.

And, yes, eventually there will be tons of third party panel alternatives.