Is this worth doing?

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't do much portable gaming these days, but part of that is because I just don't have a need for it. On the other hand, I made the mistake of watching the PSTV video, stumbling into the look at Persona 4 Golden Jeff did. I came close to picking up a Vita solely for P4G before, but I can't rationalize the purchase of a system for just one good game. I guess my question is, are there any other great games that would make the Vita worth a purchase?

I seriously don't even know what's worth grabbing on the Vita, apart from giving myself a portable platform for Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3 and (of course) Persona 4 Golden. Normally I'd be like "SOLD TO THE MAN SITTING ON HIS ASS FOR WHATEVER THE FUCK VITAS ARE GOING FOR THESE DAYS ($200 I think)" but these are all games I've already played. What's out there in terms of new stuff that I probably haven't played (you can safely assume if it is on the Vita or PS4 I haven't played it).

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can't really say without knowing your taste/history. It has been a huge value to me because I didn't own a PS1 or PSP so there are tons of games for me to play.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't really say without knowing your taste/history. It has been a huge value to me because I didn't own a PS1 or PSP so there are tons of games for me to play.

This has been huge for me, between the massive back catalogue of games I've never played, the portable nature of the vita (it's really killer hardware), and its integration with my PS4, I'm really happy with the purchase. Modern indie hits like gucamelee, don't starve, and rogue legacy shine here. I'm actually overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I want to play, but I recognize this may not be the case for a lot of people.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I don't do much portable gaming these days, but part of that is because I just don't have a need for it. On the other hand, I made the mistake of watching the PSTV video, stumbling into the look at Persona 4 Golden Jeff did. I came close to picking up a Vita solely for P4G before, but I can't rationalize the purchase of a system for just one good game. I guess my question is, are there any other great games that would make the Vita worth a purchase?

I seriously don't even know what's worth grabbing on the Vita, apart from giving myself a portable platform for Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3 and (of course) Persona 4 Golden. Normally I'd be like "SOLD TO THE MAN SITTING ON HIS ASS FOR WHATEVER THE FUCK VITAS ARE GOING FOR THESE DAYS ($200 I think)" but these are all games I've already played. What's out there in terms of new stuff that I probably haven't played (you can safely assume if it is on the Vita or PS4 I haven't played it).

What if I told you it can also play Persona, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment and Persona 3 Portable?

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealnelsk: @jimipeppr:

As a general rule I have a soft spot for RPGs of all sorts. I'm not huge on most FPSes, and admittedly have a weakness for puzzle games and platformers when it comes to portable systems (I know it isn't necessarily a platformer, but I fucking love the DS editions of Castlevania). I was also a huge fan of The World Ends With You, if only for the batshit crazy combat system.

I've picked up a fair amount of PS1 games to play on my PS3 (although when I say "fair amount" I mean Metal Gear Solid, Vib Ribbon, and Final Fantasies VII and IX.

What if I told you it can also play Persona, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment and Persona 3 Portable?

Persona 3 is intriguing, but I dunno that I'm all that interested in the other ones (I'm told Persona 3 was the first one to have the more social aspects in it that are on display in P4, and honestly the social aspects are the thing that really interest me as far as the Persona series goes). Still, that's at least two games that I would definitely buy.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ford_dent said:

Now you're making ME want to buy a Vita :(

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mcfart

Don't do it. Just buy a cheap PS2 or PS3, both of which have more games availible, and get Persona 4 there.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart: See, my problem with that is:

1. I already do have Persona 4 on my PS3

2. I really want Persona 4 Golden, because I want to see all the shit they added, even the additional investigateen.

It's completely ridiculous that you can't get it on the PS3 (I WOULD PAY MONEY FOR IT AGAIN, SONY), but I've got to come up with more stuff worth buying to make dropping $200 on a handheld system worth it. If there are cool things on the Vita (inventive things that aren't Tearaway, because I just don't have an interest in Tearaway), I would check those out, making the purchase worth my time.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mosespippy

@ford_dent: Oh, you're talking about getting an actual Vita and not a Playstation TV. Then there are more options available to you. Ys Celceta, Gravity Rush, Lumines, even that Uncharted game was alright. I liked it a bit more than Uncharted 3, even though they are both problematic in different ways. Don't get Tearaway. It was charming and inventive and I was always smiling when I played it but I don't think it was fun or interesting.

We're about a month away from Black Friday. I'd maybe wait and try to grab one from Amazon or something on sale.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nefarious_Al

I bought my Vita just for P4G. Was it worth it? I'll say yeah because I actually like my Vita a lot now. Getting Freedom Wars next week.