Pokemon Go Is Capturing Hearts Despite Its Many Issues

blackhatbarvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By blackhatbarvis

(I know the sentiment here is quite similar to Austin's over on VICE. I started writing this and then I read his, but I wanted to finish it anyway to exercise my thought structure. Hopefully you enjoy it anyway.)

As a kid, I can recall many Saturday afternoons heading to my friends’ houses to play our Pokémon games. Numerous hours in community with each other capturing, training, battling, and laughing as we lost ourselves in this experience unlike anything we had ever seen. Whether inside or outside, it was something we could almost always do together. We could trade, we could share, we could tell stories, and it helped grow those friendships closer. The idea that this marvel could one day be the real thing was such a delightful fantasy, but never one we ever thought could be realized. That is until Pokémon Go came around.

In case you haven’t been on the Internet in the last few days, or couldn’t understand what all these people are doing in your backyard, staring at their phones, Pokémon Go is an augmented reality game for iOS and Android platforms that turns the real world into a game one using GPS technologies, allowing you to run around with your friends to real-world locations capturing Pokémon, battling for territory at designated “Gym” spots, and collecting items. As the basic premise from the traditional Pokémon games, that’s a pretty easy sell to existing and perhaps returning fans to the franchise. Or at least it would be if the game worked as intended.

Since the game launched, there have been numerous connectivity and server issues all across the board. From experience, I’ve simply lost track of the amount of times the game has crashed on me in the first day alone, sometimes while I’m merely walking around or, more frustratingly, when I’m in the midst of a capturing sequence. In those instances, it’s a matter of restarting the app, and if you’re allowed to reconnect right away, the Pokémon you’ve met disappears. I’ve had Pokémon disappear from my party after a failed gym battle, and then reappear to me after the game crashes again. I’ve had Pokémon show up in my collection anyway even if the game crashed at the finish of a capturing sequence. It’s a pros and cons situation, but mostly it’s not a smooth experience.

When Niantic and The Pokémon Company first started promoting Pokémon GO in the fall of 2015, it was something that caught my attention. I admittedly did not follow the coverage closely, a check in here or there, but for the most part it was a pitch I fell in love with and remained skeptical of. After a brief perusal of some Reddit threads and various conversations I’ve been having, it seems some people had an idea of what this game should be or hopefully could be.

Pokémon GO gives to us a stripped-down version of the complex and imaginative systems Pokémon has put in place since the beginning of its own journey. Most notably, the battling system at Pokémon Gyms is not turn-based, but a touch game that allows you to fire off attacks or swipe left or right to dodge your opponent’s moves. When your connection is actually registering attacks, it feels less like a Pokémon battle, and more of a rapid tapping contest. Even the capturing sequences feel luck-based, unlike traditional Pokémon, as there’s no user agency to them beyond aiming to throw the ball at the Pokémon. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t.

What it does well, instead of giving levels to Pokémon, is reducing statistics and rule sets into only a few numbers and easy to understand mechanics. Your Pokémon have a Combat Level that you can easily increase with the push of a button as long as you have enough of two resources, which you easily obtain by capturing more Pokémon.

The emphasis to Pokémon GO is much more on the exploration aspect in a way that has never been as crucial. You advance the game by wandering through your neighborhood to encounter Pokémon using your phone’s camera to give you an elementary, yet rather fascinating augmented reality experience. It was cool to go to the lake near my office at work, and run into a few water-type or grass-type Pokémon along the banks of the water. Even more beneficial, there was a gazebo not a five minute walk away from the lake that doubled as what’s called a “PokéStop,” where I was allowed to collect more items, including an egg that would hatch into a new Pokémon as I walked around with it. Unfortunately, along the way, the game did crash on me a few times, effectively taking me out of the experience more than I would like. Still, that stuff is genuinely weird, but in a super fun way.

Pokémon Go is based off of Ingress, Niantic’s previous GPS-focused game, and uses its infrastructure to assign PokéStops and Pokémon Gyms to real-world locations. When a player reaches a certain level, they can join a team and claim gyms together as territory to defend from other teams. Having Pokémon gyms creates a real sense of camaraderie among players, whether you’ve met them in real life or not. Unfortunately, there’s no in-game benefit to teams beyond that as you cannot trade or battle with other players; at least not at the time of this writing.

As a free-to-play game with optional in-game purchases, there’s not a whole lot you should expect from Pokémon Go to begin with, so when it hits, it hits very well. It’s supposed to be simple. But with a lack of social features, unreliable battle sequences, and a frustrating capturing system sometimes caused by connectivity issues that impact basic gameplay anyway, it feels as though technological limitations make this execution of Pokémon less colorful than the reality of what the franchise has been over the years.

However, on the complete other hand, if you look around, none of this truly matters. Take a look at your app store, and you’ll see it’s the most popular free app out there right now. Look at Facebook or Twitter, and you’ll see dozens if not hundreds of thousands of people sharing stories and posting pictures of the fun they’re having. Go outside and you’ll see people walking around, communicating and laughing with other people over a game. It’s marveling.

I have a friend who won’t stop sharing stories with me about the fun he’s having going to the park near his house and capturing Pokémon with his wife, about the community he’s built up in his area to meet up with new friends and claim gyms for their team, about the rekindled joy in Pokémon that he claims he hasn’t felt in a long time. I hear stories from people who would approach a gym in their town, and hear someone shouting from a car driving by that, “That’s my gym!” I see people going to extreme lengths of exploring their real world such as kayaking out into the ocean to claim a gym coincidentally placed out in the middle of the water.

Everything I’ve just described is an experience you could never dismiss just because of a few undeveloped features or a perceived lack of detail. I want to talk to these people. I want to understand them. I want to hear their stories. I admittedly want to enjoy the game more than I do, but even vicariously, this new phenomenon is fascinating to observe.

What Pokémon Go has accomplished is capturing that community experience I recalled as kid. Whether returning players or die-hard fans, it is bringing people together so powerfully that whatever this game seems to be missing is a non-factor. The game itself is questionable, but the experience is remarkable.

We’re still in the early stages of its launch, but Pokémon Go seems to be sticking around for a while. I’m curious to see how the game develops, if any of its issues will be addressed, but at the end of the day, what’s been created here is a lasting experience from something simple. Seeing all the good it’s doing, maybe that’s just enough.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I think the biggest problem with Pokemon Go is the fact that it requires the app to be running actively to do anything. It feels counter-intuitive to leave your phone running and wasting copious amounts of battery life just so you can rack up the amount of kms to hatch your egg when it could easily just run in the background.

In the end though, I'm having fun when catching pokemon, and with friends the experience is exponentially better. But everything else is kinda dragging it down.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is how the world ends.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the solution to peace in the middle east.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad enough that the app has to be active, but it stops audio from other apps even if I have the game on mute. I'm all for walking around to play this, but don't take away my music and podcasts while doing so. The game requires more of your attention than something like this should. When i'm on my nightly jog it would be great to hatch some eggs, but i'm not going to choose the game over music.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of love how it's succeeding in spite of it's obvious flaws. Not everything needs to be polished to a pristine sheen to be enjoyable. It's also fun just seeing all the local landmarks in my city and feeling like I'm surrounded by fellow nerds for once.

@thatonedudenick: It doesn't do that on my iphone and I seem to have that issue with a lot of apps. What type of phone are you playing it on?

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna:

Aye, but as many have noted it's great for the major problem of Obesity in America among children.

Nintendo are going to make a killing with the two new games on the back of this. So many of my friends who have never Poke'd before are loving the game so far. All Nintendo need to do now is create an Animal Crossing game for iOS and Android.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skinky: Wait why would requiring the game to be actively running rather than running in the background help with obesity?

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna:

Sorry, ny mistake, thought you made a point about actively having to move. Although it may well be related due to GPS. While running it's accessing your GPS data.

blackhatbarvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aethelred: I mean, if that's true, that's really valuable data. I'm sorry to hear that happened. People should hear all sides to this whole thing.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

@skinky said:

@probablytuna:

Sorry, ny mistake, thought you made a point about actively having to move. Although it may well be related due to GPS. While running it's accessing your GPS data.

I'm fairly sure that my running apps are still able to use the GPS on my phone to track my route while I'm jogging even if I'm using another app; I'll have to test it out this week to be sure. They can absolutely do it if I lock my phone.

As for Pokemon Go in general: it's a shame that's it's nearly entirely unplayable for people in certain life situations/scenarios, and it's a shame that the actual game mechanics are only tangentially-at-best related to Pokemon games. It's cool that a ton of people are enjoying it (right now) but I can't help but feel that the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't be surprised if it's pretty much dead a few months from now in the same way Miitomo is now.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CheapPoison

I am really surprised by this. I would be even more surprised if people still remember this in 4 months.
Running around to do stuff will get pretty tedious for a ton of people pretty quickly, and there really isn't enough in the game to warrant it.

And as Jeff mentioned, if you are out and about with company you are not going to pull out your phone to do some pokemansing, nor will you stop if you are out for a run. There will be exceptions, but!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco
Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skinky

@probablytuna:

Found this interesting info.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-all-the-data-pokemon-go-is-collecting-from-your-phone?utm_term=.xoom71wqX#.umGAQRBLm

Also, Bi-Weekly Updates are on the way:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/07/12/pokemon-go-to-receive-bi-weekly-updates

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheappoison: After playing every day since it launched, going out to busy places with my GF and our family, gonna say your initial guesses there are very wrong. It has been amazing seeing huge groups of people out at like malls and stuff, doing their normal thing, then some or even all just stop, look at phone, spin in a circle for a bit, then after a few seconds resume the conversation without missing a beat.

I have also seen people out running and jogging completely stop dead, rip their phones our of their holders if they have one, and catch a Pokemon. I've even seen some people using the wristband thing.

This entire thing is taking over the world and it's kinda nice. Nice to talk to people also playing as I pass by them, nice to have people throw down lures at a chill Pokestop. Nice to have an innocent activity that people of all backgrounds are enjoying, especially with how the world has been this last year or so.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: He's the editor? It sounds like he needs to check on what his staff is up to during the day.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

My wife works for a Fortune 500 company, and she has been having a ton of fun watching old rich dudes in business suits walking around the parking lot during lunch trying to catch pokemon.

The game is really nothing, but I find it so interesting as to how many people are actually playing this thing. I mean just groups of people, all ages walking around with their phones out. There's a stage theater by my place and it's just a constant incense party going on. We have actually had more fun picking out the people playing the game rather than actually playing the game ourselves. Well I gotta catch 'em all, but my wife can life without it.

She is enjoying the exploration aspect of it though. We live in Burnsville, MN, not exactly the most threatening of areas, so exploring around finding memorial trees and park benches has been pretty fun, and gets us off our usual walking route.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

They'll need to add a lot more to this to get me to play this for more than a few weeks. Its fun, but I feel like it won't last too long with what is in the game right now.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's ruined all my local parks. 3 people stating at their phones walked directly in front of me while I was running full pace yesterday. There were people walking right into the middle of a kids soccer camp. It was eerie how many people were out staring at their phones in clumps. It looked like mind control.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paliv:Maybe that'll change once people realize they don't need to be on top of a pokestop/pokemon to interact with it. Since it feeds off Ingress data, Ingress players who populated the map would put the landmarks on the most inconvenient of places near the landmark, since in Ingress, there are items that are super effective if you fire them off directly on top of the landmark.

@wolf_blitzer85:Since it uses Ingress' "landmark" data, you'll probably end up walking into a lot of garbage landmarks. Items submitted by Ingress players so they could hack a portal without needing to get out of their house. So, keep that in mind when you find an odd Pokestop at the "Historic" T-Mobile Store Mural.

Also, be careful around apartment complexes/landmarks near homes. There was a portal near us that was on an apartment property. Whenever opposing ingress players would get near that portal, the guy using it as his couch portal would harass other players in game chat, threaten their cars, and make mention of other passengers/kids in the car. I've seen and reported park landmarks that you could technically reach from a park, but the actual point on the map was on private property.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fun, it's dumb, I didn't get it till my girlfriend did and I basically will do anything she does if it involves video games. She likes to watch but plays very little so I always give what she likes attention. Though at this point, I probably would've downloaded even if she didn't.

The game is apparently becoming something for random people to bond over and that's rare these days.