What is your favorite Discworld book of his. Also what are your thoughts on his last book The Shepherd's Crown

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

I am planning to read every Terry Pratchett Discworld book and I want to know which one are you favorite's and what did you think of his final book The Shepherd's Crown

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I always say Mort, but I really haven't read that one in years, so the real answer is probably Feet of Clay. In general I love all the Vimes stuff.

Some of the early witches stuff is hit and miss for me.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mrroach

Mort is great; all of the books with Death as a main character are my top tier. Moist Von Lipwig is a close second with Making Money being my favorite of his.

Oh, also, I haven't read Shepherd's Crown yet but a brief snippet from the opening made me choke up a bit.

Saik0u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Night Watch is my #1|

I read that book in 1,5 sittings. I really love Vimes!

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Night Watch is so good!

I think my favorite book is Equal Rites though, people usually considered weak - like old ladies and little kids - being the protagonists gets me everytime.

I haven't read The Shepherd's Crown yet, thanks for reminding me about it.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Night Watch is his best for sure. I love it. I love all the Vimes stories.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Haven't read Shepherd's Crown yet, it's sitting on my bookshelf glaring at me. Problem is once I read it there won't be any new Terry books for me to read ever again.

Oh, my favorite is Monstrous Regiment but also ALL OF THEM.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Small Gods and Reaper Man are brilliant. I haven't read his last two yet because I'm slowly reading through the Long Earth books he did with Stephen Baxter.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Small Gods for me. Haven't gotten the last one yet, gonna be hard to finish it, I think.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I really like Going Postal

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Haven't read most of them in years.

Night watch is probably the best. Rest of Vimes stuff is also amazing.

I really liked Carpe Jugulum. Small Gods. Thief of time.

Actually all of them are brilliant.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been a while since I read any Pratchett.
What's the one with Death and how he pretends to be a farmer for a while as he loses his status or something?
That one. (I really would like to know the name, a reread of that one would be nice).

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well, I think that you can't get better than the City Watch/Vimes books. They are just so much better than anything in the series. Feet of Clay, Jingo and Night Watch being my personal highlights. The only downside to these books would be Snuff, which as unfortunate as it is to say, you can really tell just little of Terry Pratchett was left when we was writing that. I think he said that he was using voice to text because he couldn't write anymore, and it really shows. Awful book, very simple language, barely hamstrung together plot with no flow. It's a real shame.

Other fantastic books? Monstrous Regiment is definitely in my Top 10, and that's a stand alone book, with a few minor scenes that include Vimes and his team. I would say Going Postal/Making Money are up there too.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: That would be Reaper Man, the second Death book and eleventh Discworld book, also a little bit of the plot is used in the second Discworld point and click game.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By nicolenomicon

Making Money is definitely one of my all-time favourites, even outside of Sir Terry's work. A state-sponsored conman in charge of the bank and royal mint? How could things go wrong!? Thief of Time I also really enjoyed. I haven't gotten around to The Shepherd's Crown yet, though.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Men at Arms, Night Watch, Going Postal, Maskerade and Reaper Man are my favorites. I think most of the books are good.

Haven't read The Shepherd's crown yet. Read Raising Steam this summer and was kinda bummed out about it. Part of that is because he's dead and was sick when he wrote it, dictating the book to an assistant, so when 90% of it is one character making a monologue at someone else I can't help imagining it. But it was also a really serious book, with the largest amount of on-camera murdering I can recall in that series. That's a sad note to end on.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By CountMacula

Hogfather holds a special place in my heart as the first Discworld book I read. Technically it's part of the Death/Susan Sto Helit series but it stands on its own brilliantly. Other books I that stood out to me were Going Postal, Witches Abroad, The Truth and the Watch series (all of them are great IMO). I haven't read any of the Tiffany Aching/Wee Free Men books, but I have yet to read a Discworld book that I haven't enjoyed enough to reread a number of times.

Also while not a Discworld book, Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman is a brilliant read.

zigzagwanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm doing the same thing and making my way through all the books. I've only read up to Sourcery in chronological order, but I think I might start making my way through either all the Rincewind or Death books next. I think my favourite so far has been either Sourcery or Mort.