I really hope this does well for Mikami and crew.

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Because this game is great!

I'm about on Chapter 9 so far and I just got to the amazingly obvious but amazing all the same reference to Resident Evil 1 and I must say, this is probably my favorite game of 2014 and maybe even the past few years.

I found it really interesting that in the beginning of the game for the first chapter or two, you're nearly incapable of killing every enemy so you have to do the run and hide thing, but then that whole mechanic just vanishes for the entire rest of the game? That's so crazy to me that they introduce an entire mechanic and then toss it out after only a couple hours of the game.

Also I'm just super into it, I love the design of the world and enemies, it's got a bunch of scares out of me so far, some scripted, some that just happened. It looks pretty good, it plays really well. I'm just happy to be enjoying a game that I was worried was going to be a big disappointment and I really do hope it sells well and we see another Evil Within(or another Survival Horror title) from the studio.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By falserelic

Hopefully it sells decent. I want to see the evil more flushed out. There's quite afew plot holes in the game, but it was a great experience overall. It may not have been as scary as it should be, but it's cool. If it was too scary then people would probably have a hard time playing it. Regardless if anyone loves survival-horror games go ahead and hit this...it's some good shit.

Indeed this game can get pretty nasty at times, and you'll feel the despair when low on ammo, but that what makes it so fun.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

I may have been underwhelmed by the game, but I do think a sequel could be really cool. Crank the surreal and horror aspects up a notch, tighten up the controls and writing, and it could be amazing.

The Eviller Within, coming Fall 2016!

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By impartialgecko

@truthtellah said:

I may have been underwhelmed by the game, but I do think a sequel could be really cool. Crank the surreal and horror aspects up a notch, tighten up the controls and writing, and it could be amazing.

The Eviller Within, coming Fall 2016!

Bethesda are really pushing the game. In Sydney there are posters on everything from street underpasses to buses. If nothing else the Saw-like nature of the gore is likely to reach a broader audience than we'd normally expect for survival horror. I think it has a good chance of selling.

I'd like to see Mikami get another opportunity to make a game like this. But if he and Platinum could make Vanquish 2: The Vanquishing that would be cool too.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Same here. I'm about to start Chapter 10 later today and I feel like a bigger budget would've really helped this game shine. I'm still having a grand time with it, though.

Fuck Chapter 9. Ruvik be on that anime bullshit.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

But if he and Platinum could make Vanquish 2: The Vanquishing that would be cool too.

I kinda hope this game does terribly just so that happens.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@corevi said:
@impartialgecko said:

But if he and Platinum could make Vanquish 2: The Vanquishing that would be cool too.

I kinda hope this game does terribly just so that happens.

Vanquish sold terribly too. If Sony wanted to compensate for Kamiya's Scalebound only coming to XONE they would help fund Vanquish 2 pronto. Hell I'd take a remaster of the first game on current-gen consoles.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as a person who loved re4 and hasnt played this game yet,how good is it compared to re4 so far?ive seen a decent amount of the game and it looks great,but not on the level of re4.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flush the evil with this amazing herbal cleanse.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

I think it's highly likely this game will get a sequel. What's most interesting to consider is how long it'll take before coop is introduced. Seems inevitable really...

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@yummylee said:

I think it's highly likely this game will get a sequel. What's most interesting to consider is how long it'll take before coop is introduced. Seems inevitable really...

Hope so, since Survival Horror seems to be slowly shifting towards the first person as opposed to the traditional third person.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

I don't agree that this game is "great", but it has promise and is definitely the best survival horror I've played in a long time (I don't consider Amnesia or any of those games "Survival Horror").

I do agree that I hope it does well if only so that they can flesh it out more. I'd like to see what they can do now to iterate on the genre which is mostly stagnated or failed experimentation when developers have tried to innovate.

If they do, I would warn that they should take small steps. The genre doesn't need a major overhaul or anything like that- they just need to look for ways to improve on it. The checkpoint system in this game- in particular- is awful and makes the game even more frustrating than it needs to be.

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasp said:

as a person who loved re4 and hasnt played this game yet,how good is it compared to re4 so far?ive seen a decent amount of the game and it looks great,but not on the level of re4.

I don't know if it's critics' fault for the comparison to RE4 or the publisher's marketing itself, but I think that's a dumb and harmful comparison to make. It's a stealth-action third person shooter with horror aspects akin to Resident Evil 1 (in my opinion.) The only thing I see that compares to RE4 is maybe a couple enemies and the fact that you can break boxes for items.

But I think it's a great game.

I don't agree that this game is "great", but it has promise and is definitely the best survival horror I've played in a long time (I don't consider Amnesia or any of those games "Survival Horror").

I do agree that I hope it does well if only so that they can flesh it out more. I'd like to see what they can do now to iterate on the genre which is mostly stagnated or failed experimentation when developers have tried to innovate.

If they do, I would warn that they should take small steps. The genre doesn't need a major overhaul or anything like that- they just need to look for ways to improve on it. The checkpoint system in this game- in particular- is awful and makes the game even more frustrating than it needs to be.

I would say it's a great game most certainly, I definitely think it deserves more praise than some other "horror" game that came out recently (Alien, bleck.) :D

What's wrong with the checkpoint system? The few times I've died it just takes you back usually to the beginning of an area or after a cutscene. It even checkpoints you often before a difficult encounter occurs. It's not unforgiving at all I've found, it's a nice step between the old Resident Evil system and modern hand-holding games.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By cornbredx

@red_piano: You're on chapter 9, right? That boss fight just before that is a son of a bitch and the check point system is horrible! Ya, nothing like fighting that guy 50 times from the beginning of a long ass slog of running around in circles. Ya, really great game design ;)

Everything else you said is just opinion. We don't have to agree on how good the game is- as I said I think it's on par, nothing great, but nothing bad either.

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: I didn't die during the fight so I wouldn't know :) It's not an especially long sequence though so I don't think that's bad, certainly not objectively bad as you seem to suggest.