Anyone play this yet?

Orexis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I've been looking for a good jrpg recently and this got released over Christmas. People seem to really like Trails of the Sky, so I'm wondering how people feel about this new one.

comradecrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By comradecrash

http://tay.kinja.com/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-the-tay-rev-1750286775

This review convinced me to get it this weekend. Just waiting for it to arrive from Amazon.

I too was going to start with the older ones but they looked too old school for me. This new one however seems like just fresh enough and Persona-like to scratch an itch I've had for some time.

therias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished this game over the weekend and really enjoyed my time with it. It's still a very slow-paced game like Trails in the Sky, but pacing feels a lot better. It is important to note that this still is just the first game of this story arc though, so a large portion of what goes on is only serving as window dressing for the next game.

Be ready to be patient with it if you're not used to this series, and try to get yourself involved with the mini-stories going on with the NPCs as that's what really helps breathe life into the setting.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had my eye on it since I learnt about the Persona style link system so I'll probably pick it up. Unfortunately it isnt out here until the end of the month.

I barely touch my PS3 anymore so I was thinking of picking it up for the Vita. Anyone have any experience with that version? I'm curious how comparable they are.

therias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@creepingdeath0:The Vita version has some notable slow down in some of the more populated town areas later in the game, slower general load times, and slightly degraded graphics.

None of it really impacted my experience with it, but if any of those may annoy you the PS3 version is an improvement.

kogeoper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kogeoper

Not yet. Is it interesting?

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had my eye on it since I learnt about the Persona style link system so I'll probably pick it up. Unfortunately it isnt out here until the end of the month.

I barely touch my PS3 anymore so I was thinking of picking it up for the Vita. Anyone have any experience with that version? I'm curious how comparable they are.

Vita version is fine, but it looks and runs worse. On ps3 the textures are better and aa is there so its less blurry.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was watching some gameplay on this today and it looks like the kind of game I can get into. Bestbuy still has the special edition. The reviews are pretty positive for a game of this type too.

siln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 60 hours in and it really is one of the better JRPGs I've played. If you liked Trails in the Sky at all, it really does feel like a proper follow-up to it, with some of its gameplay systems translated nicely into a more 3D world. The PS3 version looks slightly better and loads slightly faster, but both versions have some story scenes where the framerate drops. I went with Vita version; suspend can be a godsend during long story sections.

If you haven't played Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky Second Chapter, and you aren't turned off by the older, more isometric presentation, it wouldn't hurt to play them first. Both are pretty reasonably priced on Steam/PSN for such huge games.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Karmosin

I've played it for maybe 30 hours or so, and I really enjoy it. It's a bit too early to say but I don't think it'll trump Trails in the sky for me, mostly because of Rean. Not because Rean is bad, he can have some pretty funny, dry lines sometimes, and he's not annoying or unsympathetic, but he's honestly kinda boring. Especially in contrast to the walking sass-machine of charm that was Estelle in Trails in the sky.

Still, great game that continues with the great worldbuilding, pretty simple but fun Srpg-like combat and the well-written characters that were the selling points of Sky.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By TheWildCard

It's quite good. I find the battle system itself is drawing me back in a way Trails in the Sky didn't (which are excellent games in their own right, especially SC). Playing on the Vita, will probably get a PS3 copy sometime too.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Nettacki

I just beat the game on Vita the first time. It is indeed a very good game with a lot of stuff to go through. I plan on going through the game a second time on New Game Plus to get the other things I missed.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only got a bit of the way into it but fairly good so far. Good characters, good battle system, and interesting world design. Also fairly open exploration, which is hard to find in Vita games.

I also like when you have full 360 degree control of the camera.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You can add me to the "still playing it, loving it so far" camp. I really want to have a deeper dive/speculation on the game on this board in anticipation of II, but I need to beat it first! And frankly I'm not even sure if I'll have the time before it comes out, but man, yeah. Really enjoying this.