Is Tears of the Kingdom a Good Sequel? A Comparative Review

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Edited By jeremyf

DISCLAIMER: This post does not contain any story spoilers outside of a dedicated spoiler block, which even then is not specific. However, this is unfortunately one of those games where it’s best to keep as many surprises for yourself as possible, and I will write in detail about mechanics and structure that is best discovered on your own.

Also, this post is based on a 50-hour playthrough where I completed the full main quest line and beat the game. However, there are still dozens, if not hundreds, of hours of content I did not see. It is possible that some of that content contradicts or recontextualizes an argument made here, but I am only drawing from my own experience for this one.

No Caption Provided

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild released close to the time I started my quasi-regular gaming blog on this site. Considering the flippant way I threw out takes back then, I’m thankful I never tried to review the game when it was new. The closest I came was a two-sentence aside in my top 10 list, where I said that I liked the game but Wind Waker was better. I replayed Breath of the Wild last year, and my opinions didn’t change very much. BotW did some incredibly novel things for the open world genre, but major design decisions limited my incentive to fully engage with every system. It barely cracked my top five in 2017, and every time I’ve since heard it claimed as the literal best game ever made, I raise at least one and a half eyebrows.

I’ve also noticed a worrying trend in the past few years with big-budget sequels to popular games. Namely, that the developers do next to nothing to fix the most glaring flaws with the previous entry. God of War’s overreliance on gearscore? Horizon’s unsympathetic characters? Fallen Order’s janky behavior? All problems that look even worse in the sequels which I, to be fair, have yet to touch. I get it, building out teams to create all these complex mechanics is difficult. But the lack of flexibility in AAA iteration is killing the opportunity for creativity.

So when I saw that Tears of the Kingdom would carry over BotW’s characters, world, gameplay loop, music, and even UI… yeah, I was worried that everything I found lacking in the previous game would come back as well. However, I wanted to make that judgment for myself. I avoided as much information as I could, which meant skipping trailers and clicking off any online theorizing. Shortly before release, I scribbled a list of BotW’s most glaring problems, with plans to judge TotK against those standards. That’s the purpose of this post. I’ve transcribed the list below to spare you my handwriting, but I was really tired when I wrote it, so it may not make sense regardless.

Bad Things in Breath of the Wild:

• Boring “past tense” story
  • Truly godawful voice acting
  • No incentive for combat with breakable weapons
  • Holding forward and looking at a green circle
  • Generic shrines/dungeons
  • Climbing in rain (not really)
  • Not using the Wii U GamePad!!

I’ll explain what I meant by each of these points in turn. Overall, if our sole definition of a good sequel is how well these problems are fixed, things get murky. Nothing on that list was totally excised from Tears of the Kingdom. However, every single one was addressed in some way that unilaterally makes the game better. TotK accomplishes this in two ways: First, by layering an open world denser than I have ever experienced before and making every inch worthwhile to see. Second, by opening the possibility space so wide that the world becomes a true playground for the most creative players. To accomplish these goals so well simultaneously is nothing short of jaw-dropping, and the result is a game with flaws that are far less irritable than before. Nintendo has fully supplanted Breath of the Wild, a game which I can never imagine playing again.

So by that measure, TotK is an amazing sequel. But if your definition of a good sequel includes building on the plot of the original, well… you may be disappointed.

The story structure of TotK is much the same as BotW, but executed better. There’s a bad guy at the castle, four towns on the map corners to investigate, and flashback sequences dotted throughout the world. From my notes, I clearly wasn’t invested in the memory sequences in BotW. Here, I actually like them. Yes, the events are taking place in the past, but they drive the plot of the present forward instead of reiterating information the player already knows. Whereas the BotW memories were often just things happening, the TotK story has things like twists, setup, and payoff. The game won’t be nominated for best narrative, but there is a good effort that I appreciate as someone who found the near-total absence of story in BotW maddening. Following up with the various returning characters was nice, too, even if their individual stories were still basic.

No Caption Provided

TotK’s English voice direction is no longer what I would call “embarrassing,” but it is still “bad.” The actors are willing to put in up to 15% emotion this time. I was most disappointed by Ganondorf, who deserves a chilling vocal performance but doesn’t surpass standard angry bad guy energy. That criticism applies to the character’s usage as a whole. I love his design in this game, which looks like a young version of Wind Waker’s middle-aged incarnation. Unlike in Wind Waker, though, there’s never an attempt to give him pathos. This Ganondorf relies on brute force first and foremost, only rarely resorting to obvious schemes that only work because most people in Hyrule are stupid. I understand that some people are tired of the tragic villain type and want more bad guys we can hate outright. In that case, though, I question why Nintendo reintroduced Ganon’s human form when he doesn’t act much different than the mindless monster from the last game. Actually…

[This section is for Zelda story nerds only]

The dual narrative in this game shows the earliest days of Hyrule, which is a cool idea. It doesn’t exactly gel with the series timeline as I understand it, but that’s fine. Already in BotW, Nintendo was having it both ways. They included callbacks to old games with costumes and location names while setting the story so far past those games that their events don’t matter. The Zelda timeline is a fun thought experiment, but given that even Nintendo’s semi-official version isn’t fully sensible, I’m not using it as a criteria to judge a story. But TotK’s story is oddly inconsistent with the game it directly follows. This game presumes that Ganondorf has been trapped underneath Hyrule Castle for, at minimum, 10,000 years. Now, when I first saw his dehydrated face glower in the reveal teaser, I was excited. Link lost to Calamity Ganon, came back and won the literal rematch of the century, and now Ganon has his ‘dorf back with presumably one hell of a grudge. The thing is, Ganondorf the Demon King acts as if this is the first time he’s met Link, only knowing him through reputation.

Putting aside the idea of Ganon as a reincarnating spirit of hatred (which is directly stated in BotW and seemingly ignored in TotK), this begs the question: Just what the hell was the Calamity Ganon we fought in the last game? Was the Demon King’s evil so powerful that it just sort of spawned this other thing without anyone knowing? Did he somehow transform and revert back to an imprisoned mummy with no memory of it? Did the reincarnation cycle just continue as normal, and there have been two Ganons this whole time? I would be happy to accept any of these explanations, but the game never gives one, at least not one I saw. All I needed was a handwave, but no one speaks the name Calamity Ganon in this game. In fact, I only saw the word “Calamity” once, on a particularly shabby memorial Zelda set up in Castle Town. If you thought people were over the apocalypse in BotW, here it’s like it never happened. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy that the plot is moving past Calamities and Champions and Guardians because those concepts became played out. But to leave me with a lack of consensus on what even happened in the last game distracts from what is otherwise a measurably improved story. Again, it’s possible that there is an explanation somewhere in-game or in supplementary material. I just never found one and it kind of drove me crazy.

With that tangent over, the changes to BotW’s systemic gameplay are the most noteworthy ones to discuss. Weapon durability is the single biggest flashpoint in discussion about these games. You either hated it or you got over it in the last one. And if you’re not prepared for the adjustments here, the problem may seem even worse. I was very uncomfortable when an NPC said that all the weapons in Hyrule had become decayed and fragile. I understood this to be a way to funnel me into using the fuse system and stick random junk on the weapons. There are plenty of clever things you can do with this system, but for most of the game, I was just sticking weapons to other weapons. This was because I again ran into far more weapons than I had slots in which to carry them, and because it was the quickest way in my mind to increase their strength. That still wasn’t enough to make a dent in many foes, and I still found myself sprinting past enemy encounters to avoid wasting my weapons. It wasn’t until later that I discovered what the game actually wants you to do. The main monsters will always drop horns that give a big power boost to whatever they are fused to. And since the fused material breaks before the weapon does, you usually won’t lose anything big from a standard fight. The game usually funnels you into using fuse creatively instead of practically, but once I found this out, combat became less of a punishment.

No Caption Provided

I do wish fuse was less awkward to perform, which ties into my seemingly bizarre complaint about the Wii U GamePad. What I actually mean by this is that I didn’t think the UI navigation in BotW was very good. I played it first on the Wii U, where the HD ports of other Zelda games benefited immensely from the second screen. BotW was demoed with GamePad functionality, but once the decision was made to launch it on Switch, they couldn’t exactly make the Wii U version better, so that was stripped out. It made me resentful every time I had to struggle with BotW’s blocky menus just to change my weapon or clothes. TotK’s menus regrettably follow the same philosophy, but they are better. You can see more at one time, which cuts out a lot of scrolling. The powers are now in a radial menu, which feels nicer to navigate. And most blessedly, you can replace equipment when you open a chest without having to back out, drop it on the ground, and open the chest again. No joke, the moment I saw this was one of my happiest in the whole 50 hours. There are still issues, though. Chiefly with the materials section - the hundreds of items you can use and fuse. By endgame, scrolling through this list is arduous. Doing it from the “quick” select menu can take 20 to 30 seconds, which is hilariously annoying. You can sort the listing by fuse power, most used, and category, but that’s only so helpful when you’re trying to find the one item for your recipe like Where's Waldo. If you want to pull out flint and wood to start a fire, you have to scroll to somewhere in the middle for flint, then all the way to the bottom where the wood is. It’s not elegant at all, and dare I say, un-Nintendo.

I would not describe myself as someone who stops and smells the roses in open world games. I’ll find a destination that interests me and make a direct line there. That’s why I described BotW as looking at a green circle, which you do whether you’re moving horizontally or vertically. Because I’m terrible at finding Korok seeds, much of the map in BotW felt like empty space to sprint through. TotK solves this problem, and by doing so eradicates my typical open world play style. The game has everything. Hyrule now has hundreds of cave systems with goodies inside. The overworld from Skyward Sword was done right this time, with mysterious islands and archipelagos beckoning. The depths, which I had no idea existed, gave me the feeling I assume everyone who played Elden Ring got at the equivalent moment. This underground is a dark and dangerous wasteland that heightens every discovery. And most importantly, TotK has actually good side quests! I left so many of them unattempted because I didn’t want to play the game for the rest of my life, but that’s nothing against them. The amount of times I found something that surprised and delighted me by sheer wandering was greater than any game I’ve ever played. You can’t go three seconds without finding a shrine, a Korok, the dumbass sign guy, or some other thing that makes you forget whatever you were just trying to do. It’s a veritable buffet of gameplay that works like magic.

Even more incredible is how diversified that content is. There was definitely a point in both of my BotW playthroughs where I felt that I had seen everything the game had to offer. Here, in spite of my playtime being longer than either of those runs, I know that I have seen a mere fraction of TotK. The shrines in BotW felt stale after a few dozen, but I didn’t get that feeling here. The assets are recycled between shrines again, but their layouts are fresher. I don’t know why there are so many random tutorials within the shrines, but whatever. Dungeons are another unqualified improvement. With unique looks to each, it goes a long way to supporting their returning nonlinearity. I stumbled into the worst temple first, but after that, I was very happy with the quality of atmosphere and puzzles. The buddy mechanic was a fun novelty each time, and that Nintendo then lets you use all of them at once with no limitations was a gigantic shock.

The rewind ability is also a thing! I forgot!
The rewind ability is also a thing! I forgot!

Now that the taste of Divine Beasts has been cleaned from our mouths, the only widespread complaint about BotW left is the dreaded rain. You know, I did find this annoying whenever I ran into it, but it was never the dealbreaker that it became for others. In TotK, you have several methods to circumvent sliding down the slippery slopes. For one, slip resistance is a status effect you can apply now. It barely works, but it’s something. More likely, you’ll be using the ascend power to squeeze by. I never, ever got tired of using this power because it felt like I was getting away with something each time. And yet, it never breaks the game. Most crucially, there is a way to avoid climbing altogether. This is where we marvel that I got to the end of the post without once mentioning TotK’s Big New Thing, the Ultrahand.

A lot of the time, I didn’t incorporate Ultrahand into my toolkit when exploring the world. I know that people are using it to create mech suits and catapults and I’m sure you’ll be able to play DOOM with it soon enough. However, I don’t have the patience or vision to follow suit. I only tried to build vehicles as a last resort to get where I needed to go. If you’re worried that you won’t get everything out of TotK without going wild with contraptions, you can relax. That being said, the shrines are what make the mechanic sing. You don’t have to worry about battery juice or limited equipment there, and the puzzles are great. Sometimes I figured out the blueprint right away, and sometimes I couldn’t get the hang of it and finagled my own solutions. That both are valid in the game’s eyes is fantastic. Taken in with everything else in the game, TotK becomes a unique cocktail of Skyrim-meets-Minecraft that works better than I ever could have dreamed.

Tears of the Kingdom is a game that will continue to surprise me even though I’ve rolled credits. The weight of every absurd concept stuffed into it is unthinkable, yet it all works. We’ve endured game after game of bloated, broken messes. That I can speak so highly about TotK after finding plenty of complaints in its predecessor is miraculous. Is it a good sequel? Of-freakin’-course it is. I can’t see a single argument against that. But is it better than Wind Waker? Well, my favorite things about Wind Waker were traversing a wide world, finding secrets, and drinking in the atmosphere. Tears of the Kingdom is more successful at each of these things. If we remove nostalgia as a factor, I have no choice but to conclude that it’s my new favorite Zelda game. And considering that last year I ranked Wind Waker as my second favorite game of all time… oh no, what have I done?

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Pretty much agree with this review. I wouldn't say it's my favorite Zelda though. As I play it more, I see more and more that's a bit repetitive, like near-identical sky islands. And it loses some of the luster of a brand-new world - at times it seems more like a remix. And yeah, voice acting seems pretty bad. Still, it's great.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've had the same problem with TotK as I had with BotW, I'm just experiencing them sooner. The best part of BotW was the exploration. Apart from that, the experience felt listless and hollow to me. With TotK sharing a large part of the same map, I reached that point of burnout much sooner, particularly because the combat was not improved at all.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ben_H

Regarding your story spoiler thingy:

They do talk about the Calamity a bit in TOTK and they make it clear that they aren't going to ignore it or let future generations forget about it. More information on this can be found during a side quest. That's all I'll say about it because the setup for finding the quest is kind of touching (and fills in backstory about what happened between the games).

That's one thing about this game, there's lots of missable character-building and storytelling moments. Outside of the main quests, this game still seems to rely quite a bit on environmental storytelling to fill you in on what's going on like BOTW did, which is both a good and a bad thing. If you're someone like me who does tons of exploring, it's great. If you want to know the stuff but aren't the exploring type, it's not so good.

I haven't seen anything in the game so far that talks about what Calamity Ganon was so far beyond that he existed. If I had to guess, the way I think they'd explain it is that Calamity Ganon was the first trace of the Demon King starting to break free from his imprisonment trap and that all of the ancient preparation with the divine beasts, guardians, etc. was actually to fight the Demon King, not Calamity Ganon (who they mistook as the actual big threat since their understanding of ancient history was patchy. All of the information they had warned of an ancient threat, so when Calamity Ganon showed up they assumed that was the threat). Zelda was able to hold Calamity Ganon at bay for 100 years which also delayed the Demon King's progress in breaking imprisonment. At the start of TOTK, Zelda implies that they know very little about the Imprisonment War and that era of history, so it's possible they didn't realize Calamity Ganon was the symptom of a bigger problem rather than the actual problem. I could be completely wrong though. This aspect of the story is a huge mess and I'm still trying to make sense of it.

That still doesn't explain what happened to the Divine Beasts, guardians, and other ancient things though. I wish they would have touched on that more. It was really odd to go to that field near the Dueling Peaks stable and see it completely emptied of the dozens of guardians that were there in the last game.

I just finished the main story last night. After how meh BOTW's ending was, I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised just how much better the ending sequence of this game is, though I guess I should have expected that given that they clearly put in a ton of effort into the main questline compared to the last game.

A few thoughts on the ending (major ending spoilers obviously):

The portrayal of rehydrated Ganondorf in the ending was pretty cool. The twist of him being able to do the same combat abilities as Link was neat, as was his ability to take away entire hearts with damage. The whole Dragon Ganon fight was rad even though it was pretty easy. Zelda/the Light Dragon snapping out of 10000+ years of flying the same route to suddenly help Link was a neat touch. That whole spectacle was pretty cool and was much better than BOTW's final boss segment. When I realized that a defeated looking Ganondorf was about to do the draconification thing I got pretty excited and that level of excitement was maintained through the whole rest of the ending.

I was glad they brought back Zelda into human form. If they are in fact doing another game in this in this vein like they implied in interviews, Zelda being in human form leaves a lot of space for what they can do next should they choose to continue with this storyline. For me, Zelda is one of the few truly strong characters in BOTW and TOTK, especially when factoring in all of the character building they do for her in TOTK's side quests and in the environment. It would be cool to have a game that allows Zelda to be a main factor in the game beyond acting as a motivation for Link to solve problems. I was kind of disappointed she wasn't a bigger factor in the main story beyond showing up in cutscenes. It would have been neat to have Link coordinate with her while she was in ancient time to set up things that would allow him to solve problems in the current time.

As for whether TOTK is my favourite Zelda game, it's hard to say but I think it ultimately is. I definitely like it more than BOTW. I've been replaying the older Zelda games this year and so far none of them have topped TOTK. Ocarina of Time is still amazing though the rudimentary nature of a lot of it is starting to stick out more as time goes on (the first three dungeons can be done in like 10-15 minutes each and most of the temples are quite short and simple feeling now as well). I still love it though and have been dabbling in playing randomized OOT a bit. I've never finished Majora's Mask and that trend continued on my latest attempt to play it. I always fizzle out after the third temple. I played the Gamecube version of Wind Waker, which I kind of regret since I have it on Wii U as well. I forgot how much streamlining the Wii U version had done so getting to that last third of the game on GC was rough. Had all of Wind Waker been as good as the first 2/3rds of the game, it would probably be my favourite Zelda game. So much of that game has aged incredibly well and still holds up today. It looks great and still has some of the best dungeons in the series. It's such a shame they ran out of time to finish it properly.

As for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, I'm about to try them out. I never could find a Gamecube copy of Twilight Princess back in the day but ended up getting a Wii copy years later that I never played through because I didn't find the Wii controls comfy. I also own Skyward Sword but only played one dungeon because I didn't like the controls for that either. I'm going to play through the Wii U version of Twilight Princess and Switch version of Skyward Sword and see if those versions alleviate my control issues. I somehow doubt these games will top TOTK though.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

@ben_h: Thanks for the added context. Major spoilers cont.

I totally agree on the final boss. After two games where I would just kind of fumble through combat, having a boss where you need to recognize patterns and time your attacks was very refreshing. Beating the Demon King form with no gloom recovery and a single heart left just added to the excitement. Him turning into the dragon was a fantastic payoff and while that phase was super easy, it was a great spectacle and I never mind when a game makes that choice at the ending. I was wondering whether Nintendo would have the guts to keep Zelda a dragon to give that choice more weight. I was more expecting what ended up happening, but you've gotta have a happy ending and their justification was fine enough for me. I don't know what they could do in a third entry with these characters, but maybe they finally break the seal on playable Zelda because there's no way they don't know the demand.

I'm also planning to play Ocarina and Skyward in the near future. I don't know if I'll get whiplash or still be able to appreciate them as their own thing. I don't begrudge the Zelda team for wanting to pursue this type of game further, but another part of me has to imagine how they could apply the lessons learned here to a more traditional Zelda structure.

prolurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this writeup, I didn't experiment with ultrahand as I would've liked, and sort of gave up on shrines at one point too. I can't say I loved TotK as much as others seem to. While I really liked (at least the idea of) ultrahand, new temples, the depths, etc. TotK seems to take on an extreme maximalist approach to just about every new mechanic or new location:

-TotK is about 2.5x the size of BotW. It feels like, "butter scraped over too much bread." I personally can't fathom why they made this decision, considering how packed and varied BotW's overworld felt.

-The ability to combine weapons (forget the name) means thousands of combinations, most of which simply result in stat boosts (at that point I have to ask, "why?").

-If you grind enough, you can build virtually anything anywhere-- which, for me, meant building a flying segway and speeding through the map. This felt like cheating, but considering the size of the new map, didn't really faze me.

Personally, I think TotK should've narrowed its focus to overhauling the overworld, center on less features but really flesh them out, and simply don't throw so much at the player, especially when it means stat boosts or cycling through the inventory every 5 min.

My 2c, I think TotK is much, much better than the average game, but BotW is a more succinct experience, in my view.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wollywoo

I finally completed this after 100 hours or so and completing the majority of the content. I think I'd give it a 9/10. Great game, but not perfect. I think it didn't quite leave as much of an impression on me as BOTW, since that game was so innovative. I loved all the sky stuff, building was really fun, and diving from the sky never got old. Still, while I enjoyed re-visiting these characters, I couldn't help but think that it was a bit of a rehash.

The basic structure is identical to BotW, including dungeons in all of the same four areas. I was hoping for a twist like in LttP or Ocarina where there was a whole new set of dungeons after the four, but that was (almost) all there was to the main story. There's not a single new town! I would've loved to have seen a civilization to visit in the depths or the sky. Overall there is a ton of content, when you include all the side quests and the shrines, but as for the main storyline it is still pretty short by Zelda standards, especially if you compare it to the mammoth story of, say, Twilight Princess. And while everyone complained about the Divine Beasts, I actually preferred them over most of the dungeons here because they seemed more cohesive and unified while the temples in TotK are basically five separate puzzles.

Like others mentioned, it's also super weird that this game seems to have totally forgotten about Calamity Ganon, and everyone talks about the "Demon King" as if it's a totally unknown historical figure without noticing that "Ganondorf" sounds a lot like "Ganon". I also kept waiting for an explanation as to what exactly happened in the Upheaval, and why the sky islands appeared. My theory is that Zelda going back into the past changed the future and put the sky islands there, but this wasn't explicitly said. Maybe that also changed Ganon from Calamity Ganon to the Demon King, so that Calamity Ganon didn't return in this timeline, or something? Also is there some connection to Ocarina of Time, what with Rauru being a completely different species and Ganondorf seemingly retconned to a different origin story? Well, whatever, I'm sure the fans have their theories. The timeline is so screwed up, I guess I'm happy to have each game stand on its own.

Anyway, this game is good. I hope for the next one, Nintendo gets away from any version of Hyrule for a while and has a totally new setting. How about an underwater-focused world? I'd even take Zelda in Space.