Every version is the best version

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Again the guys at CD set the standard of what a developer should hope to be.

G: You’re at the forefront of the adoption of the next generation consoles. Are you already working on the devkits? What are your impressions of the Xbox One and PS4? Are there any marked differences in horsepower between the two?

K: Yes, we’ve been working on Microsoft and Sony-provided devkits for some time now, well before the consoles were officially presented. As for the differences between the two — both are very potent pieces of hardware and developing games on them is a pleasure.

G: Will the game look any different on different platforms or you’re aiming to make it look the same? Can gamers with high-end PCs expect better visual fidelity at maximum settings like for The Witcher 2?

K: We’re aiming to deliver the same experience on all the platforms – we’re developing The Witcher 3 on next gen platforms so visual cutbacks will not be the case here. Eyecandy for everyone!

This is what all developers should aspire to be. No bias. Working hard to deliver the best experience for all. This has earned a day one buy for me.

Source

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Better visuals on PC has nothing to do with bias. All the options sliders are already built in the game code and set at specific value for each console for best results. Just leave them unlocked on PC and more power to people with more powerful computers.

Anyway the way i'm reading this is just them saying that the consoles are powerful enough to run it at max settings.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@pr1mus said:

Better visuals on PC has nothing to do with bias. All the options sliders are already built in the game code and set at specific value for each console for best results. Just leave them unlocked on PC and more power to people with more powerful computers.

Anyway the way i'm reading this is just them saying that the consoles are powerful enough to run it at max settings.

I meant more as in they are showing love for all the platforms. This is what all devs need to do.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't really see anything worth commending? They're making the game look as good as they can on each platform, which is kind of how games tend to work.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see anything worth commending? They're making the game look as good as they can on each platform, which is kind of how games tend to work.

Because most work on one system and port it over. This is not what they are doing or so it sounds like.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I don't think console specific performance issues in multiplatform games has anything to do with bias.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

@the_laughing_man said:

@bwheeeler said:

Because most work on one system and port it over. This is not what they are doing or so it sounds like.

That isn't what they're saying. From my understanding, game development always involves making it for one system and then porting it to the others. The only game I can name that attempted something else, Battlefield 3, still wound up finishing the game for the 360 and then porting it because they didn't have enough time to make it for all three.

CDPR is saying that they are aiming to make the game as equal as possible on all three platforms in terms of visual effects, resolution, etc. In other words, textures won't be low-res, there won't be less particle effects, there won't be less lighting, the draw distance won't be shit, etc. just because the consoles can't do those sorts of things. It's still probably being developed on a single platform and then ported to the others.

Anyway, a port isn't a bad thing in theory. It's only a bad thing when done wrong, like for instance Saints Row 2 on PC. You could say that Skyrim was a bad port on the PS3, but that was more due to a hardware limitation than incompetence on the developer's part.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It sounds to me like instead of having an inferior version, they're aiming to make all three the same experience. Which is commendable, I think. They are definitely a developer that delivers so I don't see any reason to doubt them.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@xyzygy said:

It sounds to me like instead of having an inferior version, they're aiming to make all three the same experience. Which is commendable, I think. They are definitely a developer that delivers so I don't see any reason to doubt them.

This is what I meant to say. THank you.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shinjin977

Its CDPR knowing these guys, this is them saying "We will make it look as good as possible on each platform." By no way does it mean console version = pc version. With basic understanding of how pc works we all know if you have a computer capable of running this on max it will probably look better than console. With that being said, seeing as they damn near kill the 360 with the witcher 2 port, the console version should look awesome still.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bias was not the right word to use. It sounds like they aim to provide the best experience that the hardware of each platform can deliver. That's what they did in the past as well, but the hardware on consoles was much older and more limited. The very beginning of a new console generation will put consoles closer to parity with a decent pc so the difference probably won't be as profound initially, but then the gap will open up all over again as the cycle takes place.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By superfriend

Yeah, because any dev would tell people that one version has issues before release, right?

No, nobody in their right mind would do that. It´s all fine and dandy until people find out that one version runs like crap/crashes etc... and by people I mean the consumer.

The video games press seems to have completely stopped caring about platform differences. At least the reviews barely even mention technical issues, even though a lot of games still have them (In my experience the PS3 versions of games almost always have lower framerates)