The most important piece - the soundtrack

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Here it is folks. The OST for the upcoming game.

• Anti-Flag – “Stars and Stripes”
  • Atmosphere – “Southsiders”
  • Black Pistol Fire – “Hipster Shakes”
  • Bully – “Milkman”
  • Cloud Nothings – “I’m Not Part of Me”
  • Cold Cave – “A Little Death to Laugh”
  • Connie Price and the Keystones – “International Hustler”
  • Crass Mammoth – “All 149″
  • Deaf Poets – “Degenerate Mind”
  • Death – “Keep On Knocking”
  • Death From Above 1979 – “Virgins”
  • Deer Mother – “When The Wolves Come Out”
  • Doomtree – “Mini Brute”
  • Fake P – “Rorschach”
  • Family Force 5 -“Raised By Wolves”
  • Four Year Strong -“Go Down In History”
  • Harlan – “Moment To Myself”
  • Hundred Visions – “Our Ritual”
  • Hungry Hands – “Highline”
  • Icon For Hire -“Cynics and Critics”
  • Killer Be Killed -“Wings of Feather and Wax”
  • New Politics -“Everywhere I Go”
  • Plague Vendor – “Black Sap Scriptures”
  • Ratatat -“Cream on Chrome”
  • RattBlack – “Skate Rock”
  • Royal Blood – “Little Monster”
  • State Champs – “Secrets”
  • Temples – “Shelter Song”
  • The Orwells – “Who Needs You”
  • The Schitzophonics – “Rat Trap”
  • The Sheds – “Bad Things are Bad”
  • Yogi & Skrillex – “Burial”

I think I recognize about 5 bands from that listing. I didn't know much about the bands in previous soundtracks either so I can't really tell if it's going to be any use or not.

BigDaveisCheap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BigDaveisCheap

Recognize one band on the list (Anti-Flag).

At the time of the release of the first 2 or 3 THPS games I was into SoCal punk and all sorts of aggressive types of metal and whatnot. I mean I was 20 when THPS 1 came out so of course I was listening to that kind of music and naturally I recognized the majority of those bands. At this point though as long as the music accents the game I honestly couldn't care less if I know these bands or not.

Frankly a THPS game full of bands I listen to now would be real lame so I will put my ears in the hands of the youth and hope they don't steer me wrong.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Death From Above 1979 and Ratatat are both pretty good. I don't recognize any of the others (...except for Skrillex), but fingers crossed that they can put together something that feels even half as good as the previous numbered THPS games.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Yep, I know Anti-Flag and a handful of others. One thing that seems disappointing is how few songs there are. I wouldn't be too surprised if there's song DLC though...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: It seems on par with the amount I remember THPS2 having, maybe 3. From then on the games had really big soundtracks, but I can't imagine there being too much in the budget to license songs for this game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's a somewhat varied list but definitely more in the lame radio friendly indie rock direction than skate-punk and hip hop like the old games were. I don't think I'm a fan, but I don't think I'll be buying THPS5 anyway so eh.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

LOL well lets say at least this song isn't exactly a banger

Loading Video...

LOL!

Loading Video...

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Well, if the soundtrack is "the most important piece" then we're already screwed.

Also, I never expected this game to be anything except the waste of time that it will inevitably be.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Cloud Nothings and Death From Above 1979 okay. There's a bunch of stuff on there I don't recognize, or can't actively place, and that's kind of what I want to be the case going in.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By glots

I'd be willing to listen to just Skrillex as the only artist on the soundtrack if they get the gameplay part right, which, if everything I've read about THPS HD is true, is the main thing they have to worry about, with every other aspect far behind.

That being said, none of these bands look familiar to me. Luckily even PS4 now has a way to let you play your own music, if everything here turns out to be garbage.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By KaneRobot

I recognize Doomtree and Anti-Flag, that's it. Doomtree is ok.

Not recognizing anything could be ok though. Some of the first few THPS games had stuff I had never heard of that turned out to be pretty awesome. I'd absolutely choose a soundtrack of unknowns over going the stupid EA TRAX route or whatever.

EDIT - never mind, wrong Doomtree. I'm thinking of the Steve Zing (post-Samhain) band with the same name. I don't know what this Doomtree is but they sound pretty crappy.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bully is a great band, and Milkman is a great song. I hope the rest of the soundtrack surprises me.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know...did you guys also know all the artists from the first couple tony hawk games?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By VoshiNova

Kind of a bummer soundtrack in my opinion...

I liked Ratatat for about two weeks then got sick of that "sound" they use in almost every song.

The other bands don't seem very promising by my few youtube searches.

What happened to having some Hip Hop?

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only recognize two of the acts on this list, Anti-Flag and Atmosphere. I've been a fan of Atmosphere for a few years now and while the song they chose may not be the best song they've put out (Seven Travels and When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold are great albums, I'd recommend those two to anybody. The album this song is from also called Southsiders is pretty good too.) Southsiders is definitely a good choice to just skate around and chill to.

I'm okay with not recognizing the bulk of this list though, maybe I'll dig some of this stuff and search it out. If not then I'll just have some stuff playing on my laptop as I play this if the soundtrack is not to my taste.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bands I recognize are ones I enjoy.

So this gives me at least SOME hope.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I've been checking out some of the tracks that I know nothing about - how have I never heard of Death before? I mean, I know of the metal band called Death, but I can't say I know about this other Death. I guess it's easy for bands to be overshadowed by other bands with the same name - especially when that name is a single dictionary-word...

Anyway, this is cool in an old-school kinda way:

Loading Video...

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, I found THPS games always had a good broad mixture of genres of varying popularity. This all seems like rock music from, comparatively speaking, almost unknowns.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Death literally had seven songs recorded, of which there were less than 1000 pressings ever made of only two of them, until they were 'discovered' by modern crate diggers six or seven years ago. For what it's worth, it actually makes perfect sense that you've never heard of them. There's an okay documentary called 'A Band Called Death' about them, and what lead to them finally getting the attention they deserved for the (at the time) newness of their sound.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that a soundtrack in the style of early THPS soundtracks - hip-hop and skate punk - can't really be done with modern music. There's plenty of hip-hop, but punk is deader than it ever has been. I don't know if anyone can rightly say what 'skaters' listen to these days (or even what a skater is nowadays) but this doesn't look entirely inaccurate given who's been playing all the summer festivals in America. In other words: looks like a Fuck Yeah Fest lineup.

The other possible route this could have gone was to just be late 90's/early 00's pop-punk and hip-hop. That would have been pretty fuckin cool.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I really love Death From Above 1979 and Virgins is a great pick. Death is an awesome inclusion, as well. Ratatat is alright, too. Don't know anything else, though.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Itwastuesday

I went ahead and threw all these songs up on a Youtube playlist. I haven't listened to it all, so there is a chance that I got tricked and put some garbage video in there which is not one of the songs. Let me know if I missed anything. Also, I didn't add RattBlack – “Skate Rock” because I couldn't find it. It seems like it's by a skate boarder so I don't know if it was just recorded for this game or if it's so obscure that it's just not on the internet.

Oh yeah, I can't speak to the content of the videos themselves, so, you know, be careful at work/around children/dogs/cats

EDIT: Now having heard the whole thing, I endorse this soundtrack. I don't love every single song on it, but I didn't love every single song on the old ones either, and some of them just sound like exactly the song you would put into your 2015 skate boarding game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shindig

Pity they couldn't feasibly drag some 90's/2000 skate rock bangers. Although I'm not that guy any more.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@sammo21 said:

Well, if the soundtrack is "the most important piece" then we're already screwed.

Same thought I had. I care about the part where I have to play the game.

Besides, I always put my own music on when playing the game anyways.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#24 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I recognize five bands on the soundtrack, and they are all bands I like, so I have no problem with it.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Soundtrack needs some FIDLAR.

Loading Video...

The lack of Hip-Hop on this soundtrack concerns me. But what I do recognize I do like so... no harm done really, I guess.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I played Tony Hawk 1 - 3 at an age where I didn't know what to like. It opened me up to punk, ska and hip-hop where my parents just listening to some light rock and 90s pop. I always look at these games to introduce me to new music, so deciding whether it's good or bad based on what I recognise is not my frame of mind. I'll wait and see whether I'm feeling it while I'm grinding around.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, I'm at about 15% recognition on this list; looks to be a lot of electronic music and rap. I guess it was too much to ask for some White Mandingos or some metal at least.

You can tell they're shooting young here, rather than trying to go after existing THPS fans.

austinj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love a handful of bands on this list. Everyone should listen to Royal Blood. 2-piece, British, metal-blues band. Awesome live, too.