What options do I have for game audio only headsets?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishinfoulux

For the Xbox One. Something I can pick up at launch specifically.

I don't care about voice chat. I just need game audio coming through because I game at night a lot. Currently I only have a P11 that I use for my PS3 and a X31 that I used for my 360. I'm guessing neither will work? I know there's some adaptor coming early next year, but that's a bit of a wait. What's my best option right now?

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I've got some Astro a40's that I use on my pc and ps4. They're fantastic headphones that can voice chat as well if the mood ever strikes you. Again sorry if they're not compatible with XBO but thought I'd throw them out there.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can use the Astros in stereo mode. Somehting like that is your only alternative to MS' headset right now I think.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So those Astros will work with the XB1? Forgot to clarify that in the OP. I know it has an optical out or something.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GaspoweR

EDIT: I believe the Xbox One has optical out (since I know neither console has analog output now) for the audio and if that's the case then the Mixamp that is used with the A40s for console compatibility can be used or the wireless A50s. Also any headset for that matter that has support for optical out can be used for that matter.

Here's a link that shows featured third-party accessories but I'm not sure which of the headsets would be available at launch:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/Accessories

EDIT 2: Just wanted to find a photo of the rear ports in case I was mistaken and yes, it does have a S/PDIF port, which means what we have said still applies. I know Creative SoundBlaster has headsets with S/PDIF. Astro however did say that they are working on a adapter for their current product lines in order to for voice chat to work with the next-gen consoles, if you would want to use it down the line. So for now any headset with S/PDIF or optical support will do just fine!

No Caption Provided
GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GaspoweR

@kishinfoulux: By the way, if you don't want to spend too much you can just buy the Astro Mixamp Pro separately (and not the A40s + the Mixamp) and then connect whatever headset you have that has a 3.5mm jack and connect that to the Mixamp while the Mixamp is connected to the Xbox One's S/PDIF port. The A40's on it's own are not compatible with the console without the Mixamp Pro anyway, so might as well just get the MixAmp if you don't need the headset.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GaspoweR

@blu3v3nom07: Yeah, all of them actually are still gonna come out in 2014, not this year.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BRich

@gaspower said:

@kishinfoulux: By the way, if you don't want to spend too much you can just buy the Astro Mixamp Pro separately (and not the A40s + the Mixamp) and then connect whatever headset you have that has a 3.5mm jack and connect that to the Mixamp while the Mixamp is connected to the Xbox One's S/PDIF port. The A40's on it's own are not compatible with the console without the Mixamp Pro anyway, so might as well just get the MixAmp if you don't need the headset.

This. The Mixamp is really the only special thing you need. Connect any headphones through that and enjoy.

I have a wireless headset and can plug the receiver directly into my TV's headphone jack. That works fine too.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear: I second the m50s. Been using them for a few years and I still love them. Fantastic audio and build quality.

Recommend the straight cable version unless you're very close to your gear.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pandabear: Weird, I completely forgot but I also own these (straight cable). They do get kind of uncomfortably hot due to being completely enclosed. I like them, but they can get painful with glasses on too.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

I think I might actually get the A40's with the Mixamp (I sort of want new headphones to go with the new consoles). Plus always hearing good things about them. Thanks for the suggestion. Gonna order it ASAP.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GaspoweR

@kishinfoulux: No prob sir! There is also a wireless version that's 50 dollars more but they are wireless so you'd have to charge them while you are not using them just so you won't be charging them in the middle of a play session.

The A40s though are pretty good. Also I need to mention this since it might be important for you, I forgot the actual term for this but the design of the headsets actually allow sound to escape the headsets, especially so at higher volumes. People close to you can hear a bit of the sound escaping at a certain volume and at REEEAAALLY high volumes, you can definitely hear it as if you're listening to music from your cellphones speakers though I doubt you'll be pumping the volume that high. Just wanted to point that out so you're aware.

They are really comfortable headsets, too. They may not be the best in terms of music listening since there are better products at even lower price ranges but as a gaming headset they are superb.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@kishinfoulux: No prob sir! There is also a wireless version that's 50 dollars more but they are wireless so you'd have to charge them while you are not using them just so you won't be charging them in the middle of a play session.

The A40s though are pretty good. Also I need to mention this since it might be important for you, I forgot the actual term for this but the design of the headsets actually allow sound to escape the headsets, especially so at higher volumes. People close to you can hear a bit of the sound escaping at a certain volume and at REEEAAALLY high volumes, you can definitely hear it as if you're listening to music from your cellphones speakers though I doubt you'll be pumping the volume that high. Just wanted to point that out so you're aware.

They are really comfortable headsets, too. They may not be the best in terms of music listening since there are better products at even lower price ranges but as a gaming headset they are superb.

Thanks for the heads up. It won't be an issue since she'll be in the other room sleeping. I'll keep that in mind though.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard

@gaspower: Could I plug any pair of headphones in those and just go? I need a way to get audio out of this thing, as I'm using a monitor with no speakers and dont have anything that will take optical at the moment.

Do those allow you to use a mic too? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Looking at their site, the X1 has proprietary controller audio port, so only the X1 headset actually works. In that case I'll just look at this for now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0068IPE40/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385382248&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Much cheaper and does everything I need! Plus I can use the kinect for a mic.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So my Astro's came in and they look great and feel great...except I'm not getting any game audio. I'm convinced I'm overlooking something REAL dumb but can't figured it out. The headsets themselves are connected to the Mixamp Pro, which are connected via USB and optical cable to the Xbox One. The Mixamp Pro unit itself is definitely on, but I'm not getting any audio at all. Any suggestions?