Weird issues waking Xbox Series X from sleep (no sound and.or 480P video)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For the last six months or so I've had intermittent issues when waking my Xbox Series X from sleep (I have it set to full shut down power saver mode.) For some reason about 5-10% of the time I get one of two errors. Either the video is super low res and stretched out, like a 4:3 480p picture stretched to 4K widescreen or the console has no sound. Both issues can be fixed by going into settings and doing a restart of the console (not a factory reset, just a normal restart.) I have no idea what causes it though it's obviously a software issue of some kind since restarting fixes it, but it's defintiely annoying. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this.

robinpersaud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: This is a strange one - I have an Xbox Series S & X...and haven't seen this issue before. My first thought...bad or loose HDMI cable?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robinpersaud: I don't think it's a cable because that's not something that can usually be fixed by just rebooting. It's more likely that there's some kind of weird incompatibility between the Xbox and my TV but I don't really understand what that would be because it never has issues when I'm using it (only when I first turn it on) and 90%+ of the time shutting it down and turning it back on it's fine.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: the 4:3 640x480 resolution is a common-ish issue that is also known to Microsoft but they haven’t been able to fix it. I believe it has to do with a HDMI handshake issue when turning on the console before the screen/input.

In future, turn on your TV/monitor first, make sure you’re switched to the input you’re using for the Xbox, then turn on the Xbox.

For reference, I have a Series X plugged into the 2.1 port of my LG C1, but I also have a PS5, Switch, and Apple TV so I’m often between different HDMI inputs.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By permanentsigh

Microsoft has also asked people to use the “Xbox Report a Problem app” whenever this happens to them so they can get logs and maybe trace the root cause. Whenever it happens to me I do that.