Menu Stuttering PC

Avatar image for meatdimensionfighter
    meatdimensionfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Anyone else have menu stuttering when going through the upgrade menus on PC?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I've heard of this problem from a few other people, it's not just you.

playd3ux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By playd3ux

You are not alone, general stuttering and low fps throughout the game even though I have higher than recommended specs. It's only the first night so I still have hope in PG Games to patch stuff up and will play xbone version until it is fixed

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

My upgrade menus also stutter really bad, hoping to get a fix for this one soon. It's not unbearable, but I like to spend a lot of time building cars, so it's kind of unfortunate.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Shivoa

They're not stuttering for me.

Stuttering would be dropping several frames or frame pacing that made the time jump around etc.

This is pure, unacceptable, intern-coded stalls for up to hundreds of ms (tens of missed frames) as it reloads the assets (?) and then restarts the rendering. Hell, maybe there's a crash and they've got a recovery in there rather than fixing it - the stall is long enough you could soft-crash and recover within the timespan. It's really a bad look for an engine that's meant to be MS selling people Windows 10 and DirectX 12 (vs use any OS you like and Vulkan) because how would you not load the assets etc in a background thread and then swap over when they're ready/when any calculation are done? There is literally no excuse for stalling the rendering like this. As a coder, I'm ashamed this represents the work of other professionals who shipped it in this state.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just so we're all on the same page, here's footage of a 60fps locked game that can't beat 1fps because I went into a menu. An executive at MS considered this a shippable example of the power of DX12 to bring gaming away from the single-threaded ways of old.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

While not nearly as bad as the video above (which is made worse by spinning the camera while scrolling), I do get a stutter when selecting parts. Reinstalled to SSD and it made no difference.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shivoa

Spinning the camera above doesn't make the frame-drops worse, I did it to make clearer when the game is rendering and when it isn't (as otherwise it's a video about the top right fps counter as that's the main way to see the lack of responsiveness from the stalling behaviour that it's impossible not to feel while trying to interact with the menu). Absolutely no issue with the game holding down a locked 60fps when spinning round the car when not going through the menu items.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.