Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Room

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 24, 2010

A downloadable portal for official emulation of retro video games for the Xbox 360 and PC, featuring offerings from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well as early arcade games by Atari and Konami.

Game Room Review: Gravitar

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Sin4profit

Gravitar is a very challenging and very rewarding game when you can find the skill to master it's controls. It's a balance of conserving fuel, maintaining a resistance to gravitational pull whiles spinning around to get a shot at red platforms who are out to murder you. The staring screen is nothing more then a level selection screen, fly to the planet (level) you want to play and you will teleport to the actual gameplay screen. When you're mission on that planet is done, fly off screen to go back to the mission select screen...rinse and repeat.

Unfortunately for those who own it through the Game Room service, the controls are incredibly flawed on the 360 controller. You have three options for controls and the lesser of the three evils would have to be layout 2 (R.trigger fires - A. thrusts - B. shields ) The problem with this layout is it's very difficult to thrust and shield at the same time which is a very important technique in this game. 

No Caption Provided

You can see the controls on the Game Room cabinet model; the two buttons on the left rotate your ship. On the right you have three buttons. Your index finger activates the thrust, your middle finger fires, and your thumb rests on the shield / tractor beam. With that in mind there's no reason for the controls in the Game Room emulation to be so poorly layed out.

If you have a fightstick / arcade stick this shouldn't be an issue for you and i would highly recommend this game. For the rest of you, if you're up for a good challenge, i still recommend it but just realize you're in for a great deal of frustration and much of it coming from the control layout alone.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sin4profit

I'm throwin these up here cause i think it would be a good idea...i could be wrong...that tends to happen. but either way if you discuss gravitar in here then i'll at least have a better idea of what GB users actually bought it cause there don't seem to be many.

KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By KingPossum

Since the screen tends to be small (even on my 42" plasma) I ended up sitting on the floor somewhat close to the tv. 
    Turning the sound up, sitting really close to a huge screen and playing it for a while brought back a crazy feeling I haven't had since I was a little kid playing games on my tandy 1000.

The rewind feature makes this game much more approachable for Gravitar beginners and people like me who haven't played it in years.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sin4profit

Yeah the screen is a bit small (hard to tell what angle yer ship is facing at times) , i turned off the ticker and enlarged the scale in the graphics options. Helped a little.

Funny you should mention the rewind system...i just now got done using it for the first time, all dip switched in my favor, and got all the way to where it reverted back to the first solar system...but this time all the missions had gravity reversed! madness!!!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I like this idea, review games from the Game in short but sweet little bursts. Nice!

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sin4profit

[edit] now with embedded image goodness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.