Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gone Home

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 15, 2013

Set in a large multi-story house during a 1995 thunderstorm, Gone Home is a first-person exploration game where a young woman finds out what happened to her family since she was away on a long overseas trip.

Missing VCRs *spoilers*

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I'm guessing that everyone noticed it's a house full of bootleg tapes, but every tv is missing the VCR. Poitedly so, since the A/V cables are still in the spots you would expect them to be. I actually thought that this would come up, and maybe it did when the dad got the letter to step up his hifi reviews of stop. My best guess is that he cut ties to the magazine and sent them back all his review units, but there isn't any confirmation of this that I found. Maybe he threw them all away in a fit of rage, as the portrait of his dad missing the face might suggest too. Or maybe the devs through that with all the tapes lying around, it would be to tough to design video playback and too obvious an absence in such a highly interactive world where you have other tapes you can play. Any thoughts? Did anyone else this this was oddly suspicious absence?

SparkleMotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares about the VCRs? The real mystery is why there isn't there a single mirror in the house.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@aelric: I think... Sam apologises at the start for all the missing stuff. The consensus seems to be that she took the valuables to pay for her new life with Lonnie.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

@gaff: As far as in game plot justification goes, I agree. However from a practical development perspective, the dev had a tweet where he said the reason they took out the "SNES" that was in Sam's room in the trailers was because they didn't have time to make it functional. The lack of VCRs could be for similar reasons.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares about the VCRs? The real mystery is why there isn't there a single mirror in the house.

Yeah I see why they didn't put mirrors in so they didn't have to model the player character, but it kind of creeped me out to be in so many bathrooms without mirrors.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gaff: As far as in game plot justification goes, I agree. However from a practical development perspective, the dev had a tweet where he said the reason they took out the "SNES" that was in Sam's room in the trailers was because they didn't have time to make it functional. The lack of VCRs could be for similar reasons.

I assumed the SNES belonged to the guy friend Sam had. I remembered seeing on the corkboard there was a sticky that said the friend wanted his games back.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Sam had just borrowed Street Fighter to get better at it, so she could play it at the convenience store, giving her a reason to talk to Lonnie.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@raethen said:

@i_stay_puft: Sam had just borrowed Street Fighter to get better at it, so she could play it at the convenience store, giving her a reason to talk to Lonnie.

Ah makes sense... I miss convenience stores with arcades in them.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I had assumed that it was Sam that took all the VCR's and anything of real worth in order to help fund her new life with Lonnie. Isn't the parents room also ransacked? (Open drawers everywhere) I thought the same in there as well.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Raethen

@oscar__explosion: Yeah, that seems to be the consensus given the note where Sam apologizes for all of the missing stuff, and the ending.

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess that's it, then, she grabbed them to pawn them off. I would think she would take the TVs too, but maybe her car is small.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@aelric said:

I guess that's it, then, she grabbed them to pawn them off. I would think she would take the TVs too, but maybe her car is small.

I would think she would take the Good Ol' Christmas Duck. I mean, that thing is worth $5.99!

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Fearbeard

I had forgotten about them by the end of the game, but my first thought after seeing this topic was that Sam might have pawned them to get some money. It seems the most logical choice.

It seems unlikely she would pawn the TV's as well considering how bulky they would be (remember these are the days of big fat heavy CRT televisions.)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Man... Sam is an idiot.

Derios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Derios

Yeah wtf Sam, how will I watch the X-files now

Gregalor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most 17 year olds ARE idiots.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.