Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Heat (1995)

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SupesDupes

In lieu of having lent my copy of GTA V out to a friend, I decided to re-watch Heat (1995) again today. Was I the only one who didn't immediately realize that Michael was just Robert DeNiro from Heat?

Also, apparently I missed out on snowing Los Santos on Christmas Day?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By joshwent

I think you might be the only one who didn't realize that every GTA main character is pretty much Robert DeNiro from Heat.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Sure, Michael could be Bob De Niro from Heat (1995) since De Niro's Neil McCauley was an emotionally stunted gangster from the trailer park. McCauley also had a cripplingly self-absorbed family, had aspirations of becoming a film producer, and experienced a mid-life crisis (complete with abandonment issues!) all in the span of a two hour heist film; I can't believe I never saw it before but Michael De Santa is totally a rip off of Neil McCauley from Heat (1995).

Michael Mann should totally sue for plagiarism.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@joshwent said:

I think you might be the only one who didn't realize that every GTA main character is pretty much Robert DeNiro from Heat.

I'd say a majority of GTA "protagonists" are Scarface. I think Michael was the first one looking for a way out rather than trying to work his way in.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Sure, Michael could be Bob De Niro from Heat (1995) since De Niro's Neil McCauley was an emotionally stunted gangster from the trailer park. McCauley also had a cripplingly self-absorbed family, had aspirations of becoming a film producer, and experienced a mid-life crisis (complete with abandonment issues!) all in the span of a two hour heist film; I can't believe I never saw it before but Michael De Santa is totally a rip off of Neil McCauley from Heat (1995).

Michael Mann should totally sue for plagiarism.

Uhh, Neil McCauley is a real dude. Heat is based in part on real life events...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93 said:

You... never saw Heat (1995), did you?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RonGalaxy

@oldirtybearon said:

@naru_joe93 said:

You... never saw Heat (1995), did you?

I actually have, but its been awhile. So I dont know whats going on anymore. Fill me in please :D

All I know is Neil McCauley was (is?) a real dude, and Michael Mann got inspiration from him and his exploits. So unless you were referencing something/being sarcastic, MM has no reason to sue since he was inspired by real world events, which makes it fair ground for anyone to go after.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone knows that GTAV was a rip-off of The Cider House Rules. Duh.

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SupesDupes

@joshwent: @oldirtybearon:

No one's saying they're the exact same character - what I meant was that it was directly inspired, mostly physically as 'Michael' looks like the voice actor dressed and groomed to resemble DeNiro from Heat. Most other GTA games have drawn from some sources more than others - Goodfellas, Scarface, Boyz n the Hood.

It's just the first time I made the link between Heat and GTA V, both in character inspiration and the setup for the entire game being so heist focused.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't even count how many times I have reenacted that bank robbery scene from Heat in video games.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Are they actually the same character though? If anything, a lot of Michael is like Pacino to me, with the focus on his home life. A silly version of Pacino.

But anyways, there are obviously a lot of Heat nods but I don't think Michael was De Niro.... besides looking just like him obviously.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By damodar

Are they actually the same character though? If anything, a lot of Michael is like Pacino to me, with the focus on his home life. A silly version of Pacino.

But anyways, there are obviously a lot of Heat nods but I don't think Michael was De Niro.... besides looking just like him obviously.

Pacino in Heat already was the silly version of Pacino in Heat :P She got a... GREAT ASS

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.