Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grasshopper Manufacture inc.

Company »

Grasshopper Manufacture, led by Suda 51, develops many controversial games on various platforms, often incorporating new and interesting graphical elements, such as cel-shading.

Mr 51's Last Desperate Struggle With Wii

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    While speaking to Edge Magazine recently,Suda 51 revealed plans to expand theNo More Heroes series further, by bringing it  to a new platform. He stated he believes the next Wii game will be that last on the console:

I really want to make NMH a big franchise, and with this second episode have bigger success. I'm putting a lot of care into developing this IP, as I feel there's a lot of potential.

I think this is the last NMH that is going to be developed on Wii. To expand NMH to new possibilities, we need a new platform. Wii is a great platform, but we've done everything we can with it now.

- Goichi Suda (51)

I am all for this, it will be awesome to see a new game that can take full advantage of the tech we have currently, so the game can better realise it's full potential in a open world environment. The political statement about the industry was made well with the first Wii game, and while this move may fly in the face of that, I now think it's time to move on and embrace what the technology of today has to offer.. You don't need to wear a Mohican to be a punk.

Mr 51 also expressed some interest in developing for Natal when speaking to 1up.

Thoughts Giant Bomb?

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Black_Rose

Hmm...seems like it's time to buy a 360 again...damn you Suda!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

He might as well go next-gen, when would this be released? It's 2010 for No More Heroes 2, and if the next is to have the budget and development time to take advantage of the better specifications of those systems it would be released by what, 2013? Add a year or two of "breaks" for other titles if they don't begin work on it right after 2, and we get No More Heroes 3 somewhere near 2015? Can he and his team even work in this manner? It seems they'd rather finish games quick and dirty and move to their next big gig as soon as possible. Wii fits them.

With No More Heroes looking like a Dreamcast game (it's true, just check out Headhunter videos, mixed with Jet Set Radio) I honestly don't believe he's talking about graphics when it comes to what a new system offers. Take advantage of the Wii first, then ask for better than that. Maybe it's Natal as you speculate, or it's something else he has set his eyes on, and is indeed talking about next-gen or something.

I can't find decent normal gameplay videos, but you can see how incredibly similar the geometry, shadowing and texturing is in the overworld, and how it also separates that from the normal mission gameplay. The only real difference is that the character models aren't cel shaded.

Anyway, I can't help but feel a bit weird if it's indeed planned for this generation, considering No More Heroes, his current American position, No More Heroes 2, and probably No More Heroes 3, are all possible thanks to the platform he now wants to ditch, before fully exploiting it (even if he claims they have done that). I mean, what, 2 Wii games to earn the budget required for his very first AAA production, and he'll use it on another platform? Come on!  What about the Motion Plus, he's expressed interest in that also but it doesn't sound like No More Heroes 2 uses it, or if it does, it won't be in significant ways. Oh well, maybe not for a No More Heroes title, it's all up to him of course, and one shouldn't suppress artists.

No More Heroes 2 better not suffer from any issues the first has since he claims they have fully exploited the Wii. No excuses this time Suda! <3
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Steve_C

It'll be interesting to see the updated character models rendered with more power tech, assuming the art style is retained - which it really needs to be. It might allow him to add new gameplay concepts, and flesh out existing features. I think a lot of the issues were related to the budget rather than hardware limitations. The open world stuff could have been a lot deeper, and it has been deeper on the ps2 for instance, but there should be some improvements on that in NMH2 anway.

A couple of things may need to be adapted control-wise, or new systems introduced to replace old ones which cater to a standard controller. I'm all for it though. Better tech, bigger budget, longer production time.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I think there's definitely time this generation for him to make a full new NMH for 360 / PS3.  Hell there's projects like id's Doom 4, and Rage hasn't even come out nor will it come out this year.

I haven't played that much of NMH on Wii, but I don't really care for the game overall.  A lot of the Wii elements in the game are pretty gimmicky, holding the Wii up or down, shaking the controller to power up?  Not really necessary, and it takes away from the game for me.

I'd just like to see what he could do making more quality solid game mechanics and not relying to style and edgyness as much.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

I added some OK Headhunter videos I found for proofs! It's rare as it wasn't all that great (I liked it, but it has major issues) and was only released in Europe for the Dreamcast, while the PlayStation 2 port probably didn't make a splash either. It did get a sequel, I don't know how good (bad?).

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By RipTheVeins

best news I've heard all day :)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

It would be awesome if they used the GTA4 engine to bring Santa Destroy to life.

I know the open world will be much better in the sequel, but I also expect it to fall short again. The Wii  cannot support such a detailed open world environment, that I think this game deserves.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

The PS2 supported a detailed enough open world with the likes of San Andreas, and Rockstar even managed to scale this type of experience down to the lowly PlayStation Portable. The GameCube is more powerful than the PS2. The Wii is significantly more powerful itself. With the actual missions being separate in NMH, it could be even better. Any shortcomings are due to design choices, a lack of technical know-how, a lack of development time (and therefor a lack of budget), or other unrelated to the Wii issues. Like I showed earlier, the Dreamcast could do an open world about as good as No More Heroes' if not better, and it still wasn't considered up to par back in 2001 (I think), thanks to Grand Theft Auto's existence. It's ridiculous to blame the Wii for a developer's intentions or shortcomings, whichever way you look at it. Grand Theft Auto IV had a $100 million budget as 1000 people worked on it for more than 3 and a half years. If Suda didn't have the staff and budget to exploit the Wii and his game ended up looking like a sub par Dreamcast title, somehow I don't think he could realise a GTAIV caliber title regardless of the system.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " The PS2 supported a detailed enough open world with the likes of San Andreas. The GameCube is more powerful than the PS2. The Wii is significantly more powerful itself. With the actual missions being separate in NMH, it could be even better. Any shortcomings are due to design choices, lack of technical know-how, lack of development time, or other unrelated to the Wii issues. Like I showed earlier, the Dreamcast could do an open world about as good as No More Heroes' if not better, and it still wasn't considered up to par back in 2002, thanks to Grand Theft Auto's existence. It's ridiculous to blame the Wii for a developer's intentions or shortcomings, whichever way you look at it. Grand Theft Auto IV had a $100 million budget as 1000 people worked on it for more than 3 and a half years. If Suda didn't have the staff and budget to exploit the Wii and his game ended up looking like a sub par Dreamcast title, somehow I don't think he could realise a GTAIV caliber title regardless of the system. "

Detailed enough :?,  NO fricking WAY!, not for today's open world games. Gamers today now expect a level of realism that the likes GTA4  and Saints showed in abundance. Nobody in their right mind wants a PS2 open world that lacks any real degree of tangibility, they want genuine realism. something that the Wii simply cannot provide. Goichi himself clearly feels like he has his hands tied working on Wi, on the evidence of that quote.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

If we keep moving the goal posts, ok. The GTA games' open world is 100x bigger, better, more interactive than No More Heroes'. Blaming the Wii for that is, frankly, stupid. Like I said, the Wii is quite a bit more powerful, and can in theory do a lot better, especially with a stylised franchise.

I've seen plenty people find the older GTA titles more fun than GTAIV, so realism clearly isn't what everyone wants. On the other hand, the scale and scope doesn't seem to have changed all that much with GTAIV, (note I can only judge that by looking at videos of San Andreas as I've only briefly played that, while I've spent more time with GTAIV, but I see a shitload of different areas and things like piloting aircraft, skydiving, boats, bikes, and all sorts of shit, so it looks like a vast world) only the eye candy has, for the most part.

As for Suda's quote, sure, it means that, if you want it to mean that. It can be interpreted in various ways, especially in light of Natal, and it may still hint at next gen considering the timing. Don't get your hopes too high just yet. Even if it's actually made, don't expect GTAIV: No More Heroes Stories until it's actually shown to be so. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky, but honestly, even if he does mean what you want, I'd tell him to first take advantage of the Wii, then make bold claims about what they can, in theory, do with a more powerful system like the 360. Put up or shut up.

I love No More Heroes but it easily passes as an early Dreamcast title. More power won't help Suda unless we also assume that somehow he'll gather better and more staff and a higher budget for that title, something that the Wii games also need, and could be vastly better with.

So, yes, No More Heroes games can be more detailed on the 360, hell they can be even more detailed on the PC dude, but putting their current shortcomings as a fault of the Wii, when even the PSP has done better in many respects, is ridiculous. Even if we've gotten used to seeing titles of that quality, it still isn't a Dreamcast, and shouldn't be put down as if it is. No More Heroes could be 100x better without a platform switch.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

Interpretation :?!~, are you serious : / I think he's pretty darn fucking clear what he thinks, he's obviously already seen and reached what he can do with Nintendo Wii, and feels it's time to move on, He of all people would know given his creativity and want to push radical ideas forward constantly.

To expand NMH to new possibilities, we need a new platform.

Thefact is, once Suda is given the opportunity to work with RAGE, or something of the likes on a powerful system, it will 1 & 2 all over anything the Wii can muster. I want anything that means he can fully realize his own creativity.

I don't want him making games on platforms with severe restrictions on what he can do. The PS3 an 360 by the time any such game hits, will have motion controls that will far exceed Motion Plus, I think that was obvious to all after E3.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Like I said, No More Heroes can be 100x better without a platform switch. If Suda can't muster that, why do you think he can muster RAGE quality? You're getting a little ahead of yourself, I'm only going by what I've seen of his work. If he makes a Wii game look like Dreamcast, why would I expect him to make a 360 game look like its absolute unreleased best? I might as well think he'll make it look like an Xbox title, something he could achieve on the Wii given the right budget. Now if they get a benefactor like Microsoft, sure, that could give them the budget. Did they? There goes his artist status when that happens, he'll just be another mainstream developer conforming to a first party's needs by that point, and with a $100 million budget he'll want the game to actually sell, and will therefor restrict it in other ways, instead of merely a platform's specifications.

As for motion controls, you're getting a little ahead of yourself once again. Let's see if developers and users adopt them first, and if the end result is better in practice, in games, in actual use conditions, before proclaiming what's innovamazing!!1

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Like I said, No More Heroes can be 100x better without a platform switch. If Suda can't muster that, why do you think he can muster RAGE quality? You're getting a little ahead of yourself, I'm only going by what I've seen of his work. If he makes a Wii game look like Dreamcast, why would I expect him to make a 360 game look like its absolute best in 5 years? I might as well think he'll make it look like an Xbox title. "

"100x better" ... anyway : /

He made a Wii game to suit that platforms capabilities and strengths, why would he choose not to do exactly the same on a more power console with the franchise?, especially when it means he can explore new ideas unhindered by the many limitations that are caused by developing on Wii.

This is coming out of his own mouth, yet you still do not acknowledge the truth!. He knows the direction his game should go in,  he knows what is possible, once he moves the franchise to 360 or PS3. He already knows what is not possible on Wii.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, even if No More Heroes came to the Virtual Boy I'd be stoked.
    I was afraid the first one on the Wii would be the only time I'd meet Travis Touchdown.
    I can see Suda wanting to try to take his IP to the next level if he feels he's done with the direction he went on the first two Wii games.
    It's not like he's not a guy who won't play around with established conventions. Even if they are his own.
    Plz no kart racing game though.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "He made a Wii game to suit that platforms capabilities and strengths, why would he choose not to do exactly the same on a more power console with the franchise?, especially when it means he can explore new ideas unhindered by the many limitations that are caused by developing on Wii."
    No, he made a Wii game that doesn't exploit the system's capabilities in pretty much any way, only a fraction of the remote's abilities. So, again, if he makes Wii look like sub-par Dreamcast efforts, why would I not expect him to make the 360 look like the original Xbox, something the Wii could muster? Where will the $100 million budget come from? Microsoft? What will he do with such a budget? Art? Or feel the pressure of the need for sales? Etc. And yes, 100x, like the GTA open world is. I feel like I should quote all my posts so far or something.

Here, this part is the gist of it since you only ever attempt to address a tiny fraction of my posts anyway.
    "So, yes, No More Heroes games can be more detailed on the 360, hell they can be even more detailed on the PC dude, but putting their current shortcomings as a fault of the Wii, when even the PSP has done better in many respects, is ridiculous. Even if we've gotten used to seeing titles of that quality, it still isn't a Dreamcast, and shouldn't be put down as if it is. No More Heroes could be 100x better without a platform switch."

That means, if it's 100x better with a platform switch, it's not been worth it, imo. If it's 300x better on the 360, sure. Will it be? And will it be punk art by that point? And yes the numbers are out of my ass to put it bluntly, I thought that's obvious. You still know what I mean. If it annoys you so much replace 100x with vastly and 300x with, uh, triple vastly. Better? It's still ridiculous to blame the shitty open world, visuals and interactivity on Wii. They're shitty because they couldn't do better due to a lack of skill or a lack of budget to expand the development time with, or both. Nothing more.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    "He made a Wii game to suit that platforms capabilities and strengths, why would he choose not to do exactly the same on a more power console with the franchise?, especially when it means he can explore new ideas unhindered by the many limitations that are caused by developing on Wii."
    No, he made a Wii game that doesn't exploit the system's capabilities in pretty much any way, only a fraction of the remote's abilities. So, again, if he makes Wii look like sub-par Dreamcast efforts, why would I not expect him to make the 360 look like the original Xbox, something the Wii could muster? Where will the $100 million budget come from? Microsoft? What will he do with such a budget? Art? Or feel the pressure of the need for sales? Etc. And yes, 100x, like the GTA open world is. I feel like I should quote all my posts so far or something.

Here, this part is the gist of it since you only ever attempt to address a tiny fraction of my posts anyway.
    So, yes, No More Heroes games can be more detailed on the 360, hell they can be even more detailed on the PC dude, but putting their current shortcomings as a fault of the Wii, when even the PSP has done better in many respects, is ridiculous. Even if we've gotten used to seeing titles of that quality, it still isn't a Dreamcast, and shouldn't be put down as if it is. No More Heroes could be 100x better without a platform switch.That means, if it's 100x better with a platform switch, it's not been worth it. If it's 300x better on the 360, sure. Will it be? And will it be punk art by that point? And yes the numbers are out of my ass to put it bluntly, I thought that's obvious. You still know what I mean. If it annoys you so much replace 100x with vastly and 300x with, uh, triple vastly. Better? It's still ridiculous to blame the shitty open world, visuals and interactivity on Wii. "

You really are unbelievable... Suda himself has said numerous times that wanted to make a game that plays to the strenghts of the Wii platform!. The control mechnics were designed with fun in mind, and the limitations that the Wii remote had at the time.

Why on earth do you keep mentioning the Dreamcast in a bizarre fashion, what's the Dreamcast got to do with this?. because I see no reason at all why you feel the need to mention it constantly. I see no comparison at all in a game designed with a retro feel, to something like say Shenmue, which was not conciously restricted in it's graphical output.

Since when did retro style mean weak graphical output?, I play a shit load of games on my 360 that are retro styled and look fucking awesome in HD. I have no doubt in my mind that any retro styled game from Suda on 360 and PS3 will look entirely awesome with a hyper retro feel we already see constantly on 360.

Sorry, but I am not even gong to bother with all this nonsense of 100x 30x better BS, all I tknow are the facts, on of those being, technology gives developers greater freedoms to explore their own creativity. Suda will surely be able to do that with the improved motion controls and the core technolgy of 360 and PS3  [ . ]

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

There's room for (vast) improvement with the technology he's been using. If he can't exploit that, I see no reason to move to better. I mention the Dreamcast to show how shitty his efforts in visuals and scope have been. Yeah, it had an intentional retro feel. Tell me the frame rate issues were intentional also now, hah. The No More Heroes engine is shitty, restricts the art, and doesn't take advantage of the Wii. It's sub par by Dreamcast standards. Dreamcast Dreamcast Dreamcast Dreamcast. And did I mention Dreamcast? Dreamcast! And yeah I've had enough also, you're too stuck to your imagination of the possibilities than the reality of what Suda has done, and what he could do under other conditions.

You mind so very much that I mention the Dreamcast, yet you present the abilities of engines, artists, staff, budget and development time he's not very likely to use, like GTAIV, or RAGE, or whatever else. You present the absolute ideal conditions for a 360 title, against the shitty conditions of his WIi titles, and yet you find it so very absurd that I claim the logical and the obvious: that he could do a lot better if he had the ideal conditions on the Wii also (which should also be far more achievable than the ideal conditions on other systems). Whatever. No More Heroes lacked budget and development time to say the least, if not skill and effort also, so to act like it's all you can do with the Wii is, frankly, stupid.

But whatever, okay, let's assume it was all intentional. Intentionally bad. That still means what I'm saying. One can do a lot better on Wii. But again you only confront a fraction of my posts. What you can attack you nail, the rest you leave alone, or proceed to move the goal posts.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Bigandtasty

Sweet. Now I just have to freeze myself for four years (if it still isn't out yet I'll pass the time with Mass Effect 2).

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By bonbolapti

If he jumps No more heroes to another platform I'd be all for it.
    Frankly, the way this thread seems to be going, I kinda want it to happen now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.