Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grim Fandango

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 28, 1998

A LucasArts adventure game that follows skeletal travel agent Manny Calavera's four-year journey across the Land of the Dead in a film-noir-inspired tale of love, betrayal and corruption.

Tim Schafer plays and talks about Grim Fandango

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I just stumbled onto this and it's really interesting. It's sort of like your typical Let's Play except it's sort of awkwardly shot from over the shoulder - but listening to Tim talk about cool little details pertaining to this classic is really fascinating.

I remember playing Grim Fandango as a kid way back in the day and the puzzles were just impenetrable for my young mind. Even with a guide I think some of them were quite challenging. I loved the atmosphere and the presentation of the day. The idea was brilliant and it had that classic Schafer humor in it. Having grown up without any consoles in the house those early PC adventure games were some of my first gaming experiences. Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Bureau 13, The Legend of Kyrandia: Malcolm's Revenge or even Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure were games I look back on really fondly now.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

As I understand it these were released to Broken Age kickstarter backers in 2012 and now they're releasing them on Double Fine's youtube. He's also done videos on Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle and they're all fascinating to me.

I really do recommend looking further into the video content that Double Fine produces. Their approach to it is very unique amongst developers and even if it can be a little awkward sometimes it's always super charming.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By fattony12000
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@euandewar: Ahh I never backed it so I didn't know but it's great to know there are more of these. I love inside baseball talk on developing games. Never knew that the whole inspiration behind Grim Fandango being a 3D game was Bioforge - and the whole system they came up with for idle animations, it's pretty wild.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

He should play the point and click mod.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@yummylee: Got another game with tank controls here!

Is there any easy way to just buy a big collection of the Lucasarts adventure games or are some still tricky to get a hold of?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Humanity

@wampa1: I think they're scattered and some are almost impossible to obtain legally

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Grim Fandango was my first Lucasarts adventure game. Tagging this for later.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanks for this! Grim Fandango is one of my absolute favourite games. I don't think I've ever played a game where I've connected with the characters to the extent I did with Grim Fandango. The "Casablanca" segment is also directly responsible for my love of that era of cinema, weirdly enough.

Unfortunately I've found it to be basically impossible to get it running on a modern machine, so this will be a nice substitute! If you can get it running, and you've never played it or never finished it, you owe it to yourself to do so. The back third of that game is one of the most satisfying conclusions to a game ever written and, for my money, one of the most moving in a quiet, understated sort of way. It makes most triple A games' attempts at emotional resonance seem (even more) laughable...

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Popogeejo

Well, now I have a huge amount of videos I absolutely must watch. Thanks!

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Halfway through watching this and man, it's every ounce of joy I thought it'd be going in.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That Ryan button ;-(

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I saw this in another thread when someone pointed out the Ryan button (which is so cool) and watched some of it, wasn't as entertaining as I'd hoped, still some great comments and insight though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.