Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Am I too late to the BETA party?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mister_V

I just pre-ordered GW2 on Friday. Does anyone know if there will be any more beta events prior to launch?

Also how do the servers work in this? Is it like GW1 where it was just one big server split into shards or is this a more traditional setup?

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By EnchantedEcho

There might be another stress test before launch but, the last beta weekend has already passed. As for servers, they have switched to a more traditional system like WoW or SWTOR, with around 40-ish named servers.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mister_V

@EnchantedEcho said:

There might be another stress test before launch but, the last beta weekend has already passed. As for servers, they have switched to a more traditional system like WoW or SWTOR, with around 40-ish named servers.

Really, that's disappointing. I was hoping it could join up with some fellow bombers but I guess ill have to stick to the UK servers.

Thanks anyway :)

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By EnchantedEcho

@Mister_V: The latency is actually pretty good to the US servers, and you can guest in other servers whenever you want. You can pick whatever server you want regardless of where you live. I think the Giant Bomb guild is going to be based in the Yak's Bend server.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By shinboy630

@EnchantedEcho: @Mister_V: You can guest to any server you want to do pretty much anything short of WvW, it's as simple as right clicking on a party member and selecting join (or whatever they happen to make the option say). Yes we will be on the Yak's Bend server, so check out this thread if you are looking to play GW2 with some fellow duders.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Maystack

@Mister_V: There are several UK members who have all played on Yak's Bend in the past betas, which is a US based server, and I don't think anybody's had a problem with latency. So you should be good if you join us.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Bollard

@Mister_V said:

@EnchantedEcho said:

Really, that's disappointing. I was hoping it could join up with some fellow bombers but I guess ill have to stick to the UK servers.

If you wanna join Bombers come on Yaks Bend! It's a US server, but as a UK resident I've played WvW and sPvP and never had any significant lag issues, plus being with everyone is way more fun.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mister_V

@Chavtheworld said:

@Mister_V said:

@EnchantedEcho said:

If you wanna join Bombers come on Yaks Bend! It's a US server, but as a UK resident I've played WvW and sPvP and never had any significant lag issues, plus being with everyone is way more fun.

Sold :) I have added my name to the guild thread.

Thanks for the info guys.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bollard

@Mister_V: Hmm, it appears there's another 10,000 file update to the beta client. Last time they did that they ran a stress test shortly after.

Maybe you're in luck!

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mister_V

Cool, I'll keep my fingers crossed,

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Benny

@Mister_V: If you only pre-ordered you wont get to play in a beta stress test. You need to have pre-purchased for that.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dourin

@Chavtheworld said:

@Mister_V: Hmm, it appears there's another 10,000 file update to the beta client. Last time they did that they ran a stress test shortly after.

Maybe you're in luck!

Oh man, if they slowly feed us stress tests leading up to release, it might actually be enough to satiate my gw2 hunger.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bollard

@Dourin said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Maybe you're in luck!

Oh man, if they slowly feed us stress tests leading up to release, it might actually be enough to satiate my gw2 hunger.

Huge emphasis on the might there.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mister_V

What's the difference between a pre-purchase and a pre-order?

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dourin

@Mister_V: Preorder is simply what you're used to. Put $5 down, reserve a copy (or how amazon does theirs). Prepurchase is fully paying the $60 for the game prior to release.

A man can dream...

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mister_V

oh well I cot my copy off the GW2 website, I paid the full amount. so I guess that counts as a pre-purchase.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@Mister_V: It certainly does. Plus, you get the full 3-day head-start with a pre-purchase instead of the 1-day version that comes with a pre-order.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, another duder on board the Lincoln Force train of awesomeness! FOR THE FORCE!

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Branwulf

I really, really doubt they will have another test of any kind before release at this point, I don't think they have the time for it now.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maystack

@Branwulf: I wouldn't be surprised if they did one more four hour stress test about a week from launch.

Although, would that be fully testing the servers if they just use the previous build, because they won't use the full build obviously. Hmm.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mister_V

There was a big patch today though.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Mister_V said:

There was a big patch today though.

They have big patches all the time, especially now that release is approaching. They're going to use this launcher for the final game, so I imagine they will keep updating it over the next 20 or so days

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.