Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Beta Development Update [ArenaNet]

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Want to know how the downed state, armor durability, compass, event focusing, jumping puzzles, boons, and conditions have been implemented in the latest beta of Guild Wars 2? Look no further!

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Man, I love hearing about nitty gritty design decisions. I also love it when they just straight up post NUMBERS for game mechanics - ie, the end of the article specifically.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By shinboy630

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Man, I love hearing about nitty gritty design decisions. I also love it when they just straight up post NUMBERS for game mechanics - ie, the end of the article specifically.

They said that some of the conditions and buffs were really "mathy". I was like, "You say this like it's a bad thing!". Numbers are what make MMOs tick, so I too enjoy it when devs post them.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@shinboy630: I couldn't agree more.

Anywho - as for observations;

• I like the sound of the armour / "death penalty" changes, although it'll only really become apparent when we get our hands on the game.
    • I still wish the compass showed enemies when you have LOS to them - or even better, combine the LOS of your party
    • Hidden treasures sound like fun, if you're into the whole exploring thing
    • As for condition changes, blind looks less than useless unless you're using it as an interrupt, but weakness sounds very formidable - and stacking vulnerable + might sounds like a crazy combo (necro + warrior strike team anyone?)
    • Aegis still looks useless, but all of the other boons look pretty good now
    Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Maystack

The hidden treasures sound awesome. I know I'm gonna spend most of the time just wandering around the world trying to find neat things rather than actually killing things.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeJerk

Have they given any clues if there'll be a LOD system in for WvWvW battles yet? And how large packets of data would a client in a battle like that go through? Did some brainstorming elsewhere, figured you could megaminimize it to 128 bytes if lucky and compromising.

Some of the scenes I saw reminded me of playing vanilla WoW on a slow machine with 512 megs of RAM

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SamStrife

The more I read about this game the more I need it in my life right now. I don't know how much more I can wait.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Matfei90

This is why I love Anet so much. They aced it with Guild Wars (for what it was), and the fact they're dedicated on hitting the perfect 'feel' to an extent where they'll rework core systems late in the development cycle is fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.