Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 28, 2010

The sixth core entry in Activision's Guitar Hero series represents the last entry developed by Neversoft.

What Songs Should Be In This Game?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

For those unaware, my forum home before Giant Bomb was Red Octane's boards.  I was a Guitar Hero freak, and in turn, one thing we normally talked about before the release of a Guitar Hero game was "what songs should be on the next game".  Now, usually, it was full of elitest pricks that wanted an entire setlist of Cacophony, and while that's great and all, the game still needs variety.  Some article somewhere talked about how much they were sick of the "dick-stroking metal" that Guitar Hero seems to frequently enjoy.  That guy can suck a fat one. 

So, consider this the official "What Songs Should Be On Warriors of Rock" thread.  Be serious or not, but please make sure that you at least EXPLAIN why the song should be on there.  Don't just say "it's cool".  Would the gem highway feel unique and varied?  Does the song show a lot of presence in chord usage?  Epic ass solo?  Good groove and generally fun song to jam out to?  GIVE US REASONS! 

Here's a small list of songs I'd like to see: 

• Into Eternity - "A Black Light Ending":  Not only is Into Eternity one of the best examples of metal for the 21st century, but the song presents a unique challenge.  It's not SUPER crazy like Dragonforce would present.  It's coherent, the mix of chord progressions and technicality is nice, and trying to do well while emulating Stu Block's amazing vocals would just be awesome.  This is definitely some top tier stuff, but it would still be an excellent addition to Guitar Hero.
    • Flyleaf - "Fully Alive":  Whether you like them or not, this has an excellent guitar riff that's got a good groove which can only be found in Texas (okay, maybe I'm a little biased given that I live about an hour from their hometown and remember their local shows).  The song isn't super complicated, which makes it more accessible.  Lacey's vocals are great on this track as usual, especially with the pitch shift on the chorus.  However, it's that chunky fucking palm mute during the verse that would just be killer fun to groove to while slinging an axe.
    • Guns 'N' Roses - "Paradise City":  This is the EPITOME of arena rock songs!  One thing that many Guitar Hero games really lack is the kind of song where everyone starts singing because it's just that goddamn infectious.  "Paradise City" is a song that everyone knows, whether they like it or not.  Plus, the game could always use one of the best guitar riffs that Slash ever wrote.
    • Rage Against The Machine - "The Darkness":  This was a track that they released on The Crow soundtrack, and it's still one of my favorite Rage tracks.  Every instrument part is incredible, and Zack wrecks it on this track.  "Know Your Enemy" would be a bit more interesting, but just not as fun for me.
    • Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Fight Like A Brave":  The funky Flea bass riffs?  Slovak's awesome guitar riffs?  Immense amounts of fun?  Memories of the awesome music video and Tony Hawk ?  Yeah, this would be a perfect addition to a Guitar Hero game!

That's a short list.  I'm sure I'll think of more as they come along. 

What about you, Giant Bomb community?
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Bouke

Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade 
    As I Lay Dying - The Sound Of Truth 
    Tool - Forty Six & 2
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think the Power Rangers theme song should make an appearance. The original Mighty Morphin one of course. That song has some crazy guitar solos going on. Plus it would fit the Guitar Hero series perfectly, being just ridiculous and dumb. If that was in there I might actually consider renting it. But man I hate Activision and I don't want to support them.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a Rock Band fanboy and proud of it. But yeah, this would actually be pretty awesome:

eqaddictedfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eqaddictedfool

Well i will say this. whoever does real metal first gets my money. The preorder guitar just screams metal so i think they should add metal. 

Dimmu borgir - serpantine offering 
    behemoth - ov fire and void 
    arch enemy - nemesis 
    job for a cowboy - regurgitated disinformation 
    samael - reighn of light 

you get the idea. No more of that stuff thats far to old for me
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By c1337us

Seeing how this thread has gone in three days doesn't instill a lot of faith in the future of the franchise

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By hockeymask27
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I think the Power Rangers theme song should make an appearance. The original Mighty Morphin one of course. That song has some crazy guitar solos going on. Plus it would fit the Guitar Hero series perfectly, being just ridiculous and dumb. If that was in there I might actually consider renting it. But man I hate Activision and I don't want to support them.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a Rock Band fanboy and proud of it. But yeah, this would actually be pretty awesome:

"
    Hell Yeah!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
    @JJWeatherman: Absolutely agree.  That's a song that a lot of folks have wanted on there for a long time. 

@eqaddictedfool: *ugh*  Job for a Cowboy.  Give me The Faceless or Goatwhore if we're gonna go that route.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    Hammerfall - Hearts on Fire
     or
      Hammerfall - Let the hammer fall

Edit: right, I'll explain.
    Hammerfall has some awesome guitar solo's in it, insane drums at parts and most of their songs are fast paced heroic tales! 

There's a disturbing lack of power metal in all of the music games, we need some tunes to inspire battle! Especially with a game called Warriors of Rock!
    lolgreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By lolgreg

Django Reinhardt

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
    @TaliciaDragonsong: That's why I put Into Eternity on my list.  = D  Hell, we could also use some Blind Guardian.  Get some symphony metal in this bitch!
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: 

Aye! Old rock and all the current gen crap is good and all, but we need some real power/symphony/battle metal in there!
    I mean, it's a bloody battle against the beast for the soul of rock! We can't go playing love songs for it!

Which makes me think, we need Tenacious D - Beelzeboss in it, perfect for a battle against demons!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @TaliciaDragonsong: LOVE SONGS?!  Blind Guardian is some premium fantasy symphony metal!!!
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jonnyboy

Pretty much anything by Mastodon. Preference probably 'The Czar' off Crack the Skye. It's diverse, you get a lot for your money, and it's got one of the best riffs I've heard in years.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: 

I never said anything about Blind Guardian being the love songs, I know who they are :P
    Rage much? :D
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakob187
    @TaliciaDragonsong: No rage, good sir.  = D 

@jonnyboy said:
    " Pretty much anything by Mastodon. Preference probably 'The Czar' off Crack the Skye. It's diverse, you get a lot for your money, and it's got one of the best riffs I've heard in years. "
    I would rather see "Capillarian Crest". 

However, I also want to see NON-METAL songs.  There's a plethora of great songs that have not been featured in one of these games yet.  Hell, I could go for something from The Showdown, who has great riffs and a good energy.
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187:    I'm no sir, nor am I good XD

I'm just hoping they will have a great lineup on disc instead of us having to buy dlc to get some good stuff.
    The guitar games really need some things to keep em fresh, a blazing tracklist would help!
    dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By dutch42
    @jonnyboy said:
    " Pretty much anything by Mastodon.
    saved me some typing there buddy, thanks
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By guiseppe

All metal, all the the way. At least that would make me happy.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jakob187
    @guiseppe said:

" All metal, all the the way. At least that would make me happy. "

I'd be fine with an all-metal game, but I like variety.  I like many different forms of music, and only have one style would drive me a little insane.  Guitar Hero II and III mixed it up quite nicely, and while I aesthetically liked 4 and 5, the tracklistings didn't totally appeal to me.  A lot of that was because of the success of having recent hits on the games. 

@TaliciaDragonsong:

I'm sorry.  I didn't know you were a chickadee and bad.  lol  Good to see a chick throwin' up the horns on GB. 

I agree, though.  The game needs a blazing tracklist, and I think they are very much on the right track with this game.  I just really don't want to see a game loaded down with "hey, here's a ton of fast shit that has finger-numbing solos".  Those are fun songs, but only in certain quantities. 

Also, Guitar Hero World Tour/5 had Unearth and Chimaira.  We can't forget that they've made their attempts.  Unfortunately, I'm sure Kotick had a role to play in "nah, that shit won't sell".  Harmonix at least has the balls to throw in stuff like Cannibal Corpse, All That Remains, PANTERA, and such.  I can only hope that Warriors of Rock will hold up to that kind of great metal.  With the inclusion of an original Megadeth song (that kicks some serious fucking ass...wonder if Broderick played on it or just Mustaine), as well as stuff like "Children of the Grave"...and APC's "The Outsider"...and NIN's "Wish"...and Dethklok...  I think they are really trying to craft a good experience all around for both expert players and novice players to rock out with their cock out. 

*EDIT*  After looking to see if more songs have been announced, I noticed that Flyleaf's "Again" is going to be on-disc for it.  I find that to be an interesting choice.  I had put "Fully Alive" on mine, which has a really great riff.  I like "Again" as well...but I just don't think the song is as strong.  If that's going to make it, then where is something like 30 Seconds to Mars' "Kings & Queens"?  Come to think of it, "Beautiful Bride" is personally a better song from Memento Mori than "Again" for a Guitar Hero game. 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By xMP44x

First of all I'd need to point out that I have no real recollection of tracks in previous games, but that I wish to share ideas with you all. Odds are some of these songs are in previous games. I can't see them all being previously done, but odds are at least one of them sadly is. 

If Rap Gets Jealous - K'Naan (ft. Kirk Hammett): The song contains rap and rock, and it's done well. The rap is brilliant, as to be expected from K'naan, and the guitar riffs sound like they genuinely would be fun to play. Singing along would be difficult enough though due to K'naan's style, so it might not be the best for that. Though playing this song would be pretty fun.

Links 2,3,4 - Rammstein: Who doesn't like some heavy German metal every now and then? The guitar may be difficult and it might not. One of those things I don't know, but I imagine playing this song could be real fun. I'd love to give it a go on Guitar Hero, because I have no experience with a real axe.

Monster - Skillet. I don't imagine this song would be the hardest to play, but it's a decent tune, and I like the lyrics to it. It's fairly recent too, so people might recognise it.

Drones - Rise Against: It's Rise Against. I think all the reasoning is provided with this, and the fact it's one of their more hardcore tracks.

Survive - Rise Against: More Rise Against? From one of their heavier albums? Yes, indeed.

State of the Union - Rise Against: This is probably the heaviest song from Rise Against, and for this reason I simply must have the opportunity to play it.

The Last Baron - Mastodon: Fourteen minutes of axe shredding. It could be like Dragonforce's legendary Through the Fire and the Flames, but maybe easier. Or harder depending on if it was overcharted and whatnot. Due to the fact it's close to double the time of TTFAF, it might be harder? Who knows.

Pendulous Skin - Mastodon: This song would be more as a piss take. It's 22 minutes long, and is included as a secret on Blood Mountain. Something like 18 of those minutes is complete and utter silence though, so this would be delightful for confusing people.

_________

I would also have suggested Get Clean by Anarchy Club, but it's been done before on Rock Band 2. Great song though, but if it can't be used Enemy Ace from The Way and its Power (also by Anarchy Club) would pass as well. Speaking as the resident Rise Against fanboy you had to expect me to suggest some of their works for this game, though odds are that they will not be included. Due to the fact I've only ever played GH3 on Easy and occasionally on Medium I'm not great with knowing how hard the songs I've suggested are. If someone wants to give them a listen and give an honest opinion as to how hard they would be I'd be delighted. I'm going for songs that sound complex, though I know they might be easy enough to play without me realising it.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By guiseppe
    @jakob187 said:

" @guiseppe said:

" All metal, all the the way. At least that would make me happy. "

I'd be fine with an all-metal game, but I like variety.  I like many different forms of music, and only have one style would drive me a little insane.  Guitar Hero II and III mixed it up quite nicely, and while I aesthetically liked 4 and 5, the tracklistings didn't totally appeal to me.  A lot of that was because of the success of having recent hits on the games. 

@TaliciaDragonsong:

I'm sorry.  I didn't know you were a chickadee and bad.  lol  Good to see a chick throwin' up the horns on GB. 

I agree, though.  The game needs a blazing tracklist, and I think they are very much on the right track with this game.  I just really don't want to see a game loaded down with "hey, here's a ton of fast shit that has finger-numbing solos".  Those are fun songs, but only in certain quantities. 

Also, Guitar Hero World Tour/5 had Unearth and Chimaira.  We can't forget that they've made their attempts.  Unfortunately, I'm sure Kotick had a role to play in "nah, that shit won't sell".  Harmonix at least has the balls to throw in stuff like Cannibal Corpse, All That Remains, PANTERA, and such.  I can only hope that Warriors of Rock will hold up to that kind of great metal.  With the inclusion of an original Megadeth song (that kicks some serious fucking ass...wonder if Broderick played on it or just Mustaine), as well as stuff like "Children of the Grave"...and APC's "The Outsider"...and NIN's "Wish"...and Dethklok...  I think they are really trying to craft a good experience all around for both expert players and novice players to rock out with their cock out. 

*EDIT*  After looking to see if more songs have been announced, I noticed that Flyleaf's "Again" is going to be on-disc for it.  I find that to be an interesting choice.  I had put "Fully Alive" on mine, which has a really great riff.  I like "Again" as well...but I just don't think the song is as strong.  If that's going to make it, then where is something like 30 Seconds to Mars' "Kings & Queens"?  Come to think of it, "Beautiful Bride" is personally a better song from Memento Mori than "Again" for a Guitar Hero game. 

"
    True, and I agree, but at the same time, there's a lot of variety to be had in the metal genre. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want crap like Coldplay, Paramore or... Anything like that in there. If the game is going to hold up to the 'vibe' it's giving right now, it needs to have a much darker tone than it has had previously had. At the same time I agree with you on GH2/3, they both had an excellent variety of songs in them, and I can only hope that they do have the "balls" to put stuff like Whitechapel, Cannibal Corpse and Job For A Cowboy in there. Just like Rock Band did.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Whisperkill

All of the Avenged Sevenfold ones

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.