Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero World Tour

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 26, 2008

The fourth game in the Guitar Hero series adds drums and vocals to the mix, along with a music studio that you can use to create new tracks and share them online.

Quick Blog: The Guitar Hero Dilemma!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

THE GUITAR HERO DILEMMA!

I have a dilemma dear readers, a Guitar Hero dilemma to be precise. For you see I'm very unsure what pack of Guitar Hero: World Tour to get, or even if to purchase the game in the first place. Now I will admit I have always been fond of the Guitar Hero games despite the impressive rise of Rock Band and it's sequel (coming to my dear homeland on November 21st). It's fair to say that the series is now second best to Rock Band, but if I'm indeed honest this dilemma might have more to do with instruments then the actual game. Guitar Hero: World Tour is set for a gamedisc and guitar (with gamedisc) release this Friday with the big meaty pack of drums and all hitting on the 14th of November a week after. Now origianlly I was going to purchase the big band pack which is on sale here for around £149.99 which is a lot of sterlings. But then I soon changed my mind to picking up just the game and using my old Guitar Hero 2 Xbox 360 guitar which amazingly as lasted longer then the Rock Band guitar which is now almost unusable. But, I got a chance to mess with the guitar when one was on show at a local videogame store in my nearby shopping centre. There was no game and no other piece of instrument, just the guitar with Guitar Hero: World Tour advertisment all around it. I was hugely impressed, and although I'm still unconvinced about the touch pad system the guitar features. The rest looked and felt great so I soon decided to just pick up the game with guitar which is going for around £69.99 over here in dear old England.

Now reviews of the game have been mixed, but I think with music games it's all about taste and I do like the GH:WT setlist. But I'm also thinking of Rock Band and it's sequel when considering this band pack. But as many of you will have no doubt heard by now, the drums are a little hit and miss. Some seem fine while others are clearly faulty and require some technique or even repair to fix. This is poor, especially considering Guitar Hero's past when it came to game instruments. They have always been of good quality since Guitar Hero 2 hit the PS2 so it's dissapointing to hear such a thing. This as made me question it again, is it really worth the expense of £149.99 (I can probably get it cheaper) and just pray that it won't be faulty. Noise is also a key factor, the Rock Band drums were way to noisey and it caused me frustration to both myself and my family but I have considered still picking up some drum silencers. But anyway, one area which does sound brilliant when looking closely at the drums is the ability to move the pedal about. Now with the Rock Band drums, the pedal is best operated when stuck to the actual framework and as a Rhuematoid Arthritis sufferer the position of my leg caused me great pain meaning I could only usually spend a little bit of time playing. But the ability to move it would help me greatly. 

The True Virtual Rocker!!
    So as you can see I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma, if I'm honest with you I probably will be picking up Guitar Hero: World Tour whatever pack I pick up. I have always been fond of the series that began it all even if it's not exactly the same developers that once started it all, I actually came late to the music gaming scene that originally hit on the PS2 when I picked up Guitar Hero 2 for the XBOX 360 and couldn't stop playing. I do indeed suck at Music games but it's all about having a blast and enjoying the songs you want to play. But with Rock Band 2 out in a few weeks theres no doubt I want some quality in playing them. So I'm stuck with a decision, I could wait and pick up the £149.99 Band pack and pray I get a good drum set (even though I'm not a religious man) or I could pick up the Guitar/GameDisc pack which hits next Friday. There might also be another problem, If I pick up the Band Pack I will not just have another plastic guitar but also have a spare bass guitar which is being included in the pack being sold by GAME. Which means I'd have in all:

3x Guitar Hero 2 Guitars.
    1x Rock Band Guitar (Xbox 360).
    1x Rock Band Guitar (PS3).
    1x Guiar Hero: World Tour Guitar.

Now to be fair some of these I am selling, but you can see the problem. We will get to a point where both Harmonix and Activision would have to either stop selling instruments or think of some other method. There's a limit to everything and that includes plastic instruments. So I'm still unsure, if your wondering why I have both a Xbox 360 Rock Band Guitar and a PS3 Rock Band Guitar, well it's because I originally bought the PS3 Rock Band pack from the US and with the PS3 not being region locked I was able to play, Thankfully I also go it pretty cheap due to a family member in the US which was also great so it wasn't as expensive as it may seem. But I can't decide, I will be picking up the Guitar though which I think felt great, I just can't decide if to get the actual instrument pack or not. 

So I ask you readers to please tell me what you think of the Guitar Hero: World Tour pack and if the fault-free Drums are better and quieter then the ones in the Rock Band pack? Any info and opinion is welcome. 

UPDATE!

I have decided to pick up the Game/Guitar package which hits this Friday, I took sometime thinking about it and it was actually the free Bass Guitar which turned me off the Band Pack. I have enough plastic guitars as it is to have two more. This new World Tour guitar will hopefully be better suited for when I get Rock Band 2 aswell. I could have bought it from a different site of course but I have a lot of rewards points I wanted to use with them. So there you go, I should hopefully get the game this Friday, I'm also getting some Rock Band drum silencers for when I do play me some drums. In the end I feel it wouldn't be worth it with the problems the GH drums are currently having. 

UPDATE 2!

Oh why is this so hard, it's just a video game. It's just plastic instruments, but it technically is £149.99 in good old Sterling money. Well I have cancelled my Guitar/Game package after recieving a call from a friend concerning a collectable item he wants off me. He actually as a Ebay store and as a couple of the Band Editions hitting next week. So he as asked if we can do a swap of sorts (give or take a bit of cash of course). The item he wants is actually something I won a good few years ago at a show and to be totally honest I've been considering selling it for a good long while, the reason he wants it is because he collects these. Anyway. I'm still undecided, the reviews when it comes to the drums are a mess. Some love it some hate it so I'm not sure which camp I currently sit in. So confussed and so lost. I'll update this again soon.

Thanks for Reading,
    Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)
    Is indeed a Virtual Rocker!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

THE GUITAR HERO DILEMMA!

I have a dilemma dear readers, a Guitar Hero dilemma to be precise. For you see I'm very unsure what pack of Guitar Hero: World Tour to get, or even if to purchase the game in the first place. Now I will admit I have always been fond of the Guitar Hero games despite the impressive rise of Rock Band and it's sequel (coming to my dear homeland on November 21st). It's fair to say that the series is now second best to Rock Band, but if I'm indeed honest this dilemma might have more to do with instruments then the actual game. Guitar Hero: World Tour is set for a gamedisc and guitar (with gamedisc) release this Friday with the big meaty pack of drums and all hitting on the 14th of November a week after. Now origianlly I was going to purchase the big band pack which is on sale here for around £149.99 which is a lot of sterlings. But then I soon changed my mind to picking up just the game and using my old Guitar Hero 2 Xbox 360 guitar which amazingly as lasted longer then the Rock Band guitar which is now almost unusable. But, I got a chance to mess with the guitar when one was on show at a local videogame store in my nearby shopping centre. There was no game and no other piece of instrument, just the guitar with Guitar Hero: World Tour advertisment all around it. I was hugely impressed, and although I'm still unconvinced about the touch pad system the guitar features. The rest looked and felt great so I soon decided to just pick up the game with guitar which is going for around £69.99 over here in dear old England.

Now reviews of the game have been mixed, but I think with music games it's all about taste and I do like the GH:WT setlist. But I'm also thinking of Rock Band and it's sequel when considering this band pack. But as many of you will have no doubt heard by now, the drums are a little hit and miss. Some seem fine while others are clearly faulty and require some technique or even repair to fix. This is poor, especially considering Guitar Hero's past when it came to game instruments. They have always been of good quality since Guitar Hero 2 hit the PS2 so it's dissapointing to hear such a thing. This as made me question it again, is it really worth the expense of £149.99 (I can probably get it cheaper) and just pray that it won't be faulty. Noise is also a key factor, the Rock Band drums were way to noisey and it caused me frustration to both myself and my family but I have considered still picking up some drum silencers. But anyway, one area which does sound brilliant when looking closely at the drums is the ability to move the pedal about. Now with the Rock Band drums, the pedal is best operated when stuck to the actual framework and as a Rhuematoid Arthritis sufferer the position of my leg caused me great pain meaning I could only usually spend a little bit of time playing. But the ability to move it would help me greatly. 

So as you can see I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma, if I'm honest with you I probably will be picking up Guitar Hero: World Tour whatever pack I pick up. I have always been fond of the series that began it all even if it's not exactly the same developers that once started it all, I actually came late to the music gaming scene that originally hit on the PS2 when I picked up Guitar Hero 2 for the XBOX 360 and couldn't stop playing. I do indeed suck at Music games but it's all about having a blast and enjoying the songs you want to play. But with Rock Band 2 out in a few weeks theres no doubt I want some quality in playing them. So I'm stuck with a decision, I could wait and pick up the £149.99 Band pack and pray I get a good drum set (even though I'm not a religious man) or I could pick up the Guitar/GameDisc pack which hits next Friday. There might also be another problem, If I pick up the Band Pack I will not just have another plastic guitar but also have a spare bass guitar which is being included in the pack being sold by GAME. Which means I'd have in all:

3x Guitar Hero 2 Guitars.
    1x Rock Band Guitar (Xbox 360).
    1x Rock Band Guitar (PS3).
    1x Guiar Hero: World Tour Guitar.

Now to be fair some of these I am selling, but you can see the problem. We will get to a point where both Harmonix and Activision would have to either stop selling instruments or think of some other method. There's a limit to everything and that includes plastic instruments. So I'm still unsure, if your wondering why I have both a Xbox 360 Rock Band Guitar and a PS3 Rock Band Guitar, well it's because I originally bought the PS3 Rock Band pack from the US and with the PS3 not being region locked I was able to play, Thankfully I also go it pretty cheap due to a family member in the US which was also great so it wasn't as expensive as it may seem. But I can't decide, I will be picking up the Guitar though which I think felt great, I just can't decide if to get the actual instrument pack or not. 

So I ask you readers to please tell me what you think of the Guitar Hero: World Tour pack and if the fault-free Drums are better and quieter then the ones in the Rock Band pack? Any info and opinion is welcome. 

UPDATE!

I have decided to pick up the Game/Guitar package which hits this Friday, I took sometime thinking about it and it was actually the free Bass Guitar which turned me off the Band Pack. I have enough plastic guitars as it is to have two more. This new World Tour guitar will hopefully be better suited for when I get Rock Band 2 aswell. I could have bought it from a different site of course but I have a lot of rewards points I wanted to use with them. So there you go, I should hopefully get the game this Friday, I'm also getting some Rock Band drum silencers for when I do play me some drums. In the end I feel it wouldn't be worth it with the problems the GH drums are currently having. 

UPDATE 2!

Oh why is this so hard, it's just a video game. It's just plastic instruments, but it technically is £149.99 in good old Sterling money. Well I have cancelled my Guitar/Game package after recieving a call from a friend concerning a collectable item he wants off me. He actually as a Ebay store and as a couple of the Band Editions hitting next week. So he as asked if we can do a swap of sorts (give or take a bit of cash of course). The item he wants is actually something I won a good few years ago at a show and to be totally honest I've been considering selling it for a good long while, the reason he wants it is because he collects these. Anyway. I'm still undecided, the reviews when it comes to the drums are a mess. Some love it some hate it so I'm not sure which camp I currently sit in. So confussed and so lost. I'll update this again soon.

Thanks for Reading,
    Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

As a fellow English scholor and a gentleman (haha, the irony) - allow me to express surprise and alarm at the fact you are even considering getting such a title. I had dismissed buying guitar hero and rock band on principle as both are ridiculously expensive. Also, I have noticed that we English seem much less enthusiastic about standing around with plastic instruments and publicly humiliating ourselves. Perhaps the yanks simply have no shame. Who knows....

Having said that, i'm dissapointed that the game has not done better on these fair shores - as it looks like jolly good fun. Whatever you choose to buy, I look forward to your review with eager anticipation.

Love Sweep

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.