Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Elites are massive now!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By big_jon

Now that Elites are finally getting the love that they deserve I am very happy. They are faster have more shields and health now. They also have faster recharging shields and health now too. But they are huge! 

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Just like my dick.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hitchenson
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" Just like my dick. "

Further strengthening peoples claims that Halo is played by 12 year olds exclusively right here ladies and gentlemen. 

On topic, I'll be interested to see how the actual differences between species plays out. Being as it's Bungie I've got nothing to worry about I'm just curious if people are going to "jump ship" now so to speak and have the vast majority of the Halo player base playing as Elites over SPARTANs. I personally will continue to be a SPARTAN because they're awesome and I like the idea of playing a single universal character throughout my extensive Reach career.  

This below is probably the thing I'm most looking forward to seeing in action just due to it being the biggest "shake up" Halo multiplayer has probably seen to date. Load outs. 

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " Just like my dick. "
    Further strengthening peoples claims that Halo is played by 12 year olds exclusively right here ladies and gentlemen. "

No Caption Provided
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " Just like my dick. "
    Further strengthening peoples claims that Halo is played by 12 year olds exclusively right here ladies and gentlemen. "
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ricetopher

Dear god...I hope thats a campaign only size difference, otherwise why pick Elites over Spartans ever?

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I can't wait to play as an Elite now. They look so badass now.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hitchenson
    @ricetopher said:

" Dear god...I hope thats a campaign only size difference, otherwise why pick Elites over Spartans ever? "

They have got higher shields and health both of which recharge quicker than that of a SPARTAN. So the differences between size and abilities balance each other out. 
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ricetopher
    @Hitchenson: Oh wow, just caught that you mentioned that in the OP, but good to see that theres more than size to factor in now. Kinda reminds me of Resistance: Fall of Man's chimera/human differences in the MP
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Hitchenson said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" Just like my dick. "

Further strengthening peoples claims that Halo is played by 12 year olds exclusively right here ladies and gentlemen.  On topic, I'll be interested to see how the actual differences between species plays out. Being as it's Bungie I've got nothing to worry about I'm just curious if people are going to "jump ship" now so to speak and have the vast majority of the Halo player base playing as Elites over SPARTANs. I personally will continue to be a SPARTAN because they're awesome and I like the idea of playing a single universal character throughout my extensive Reach career.  "
    Yeah, no one over the age of 12 has ever made a joke on the internet about the size of their genitals.  I'm 20.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy

Elites would most likely have the stronger melee, if that's the case too? Or could I be totally wrong.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hitchenson
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @Hitchenson said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" Just like my dick. "

Further strengthening peoples claims that Halo is played by 12 year olds exclusively right here ladies and gentlemen.  On topic, I'll be interested to see how the actual differences between species plays out. Being as it's Bungie I've got nothing to worry about I'm just curious if people are going to "jump ship" now so to speak and have the vast majority of the Halo player base playing as Elites over SPARTANs. I personally will continue to be a SPARTAN because they're awesome and I like the idea of playing a single universal character throughout my extensive Reach career.  "
    Yeah, no one over the age of 12 has ever made a joke on the internet about the size of their genitals.  I'm 20. "
    Yeah, well I've got a 20" penis. 

LOL IM SO FUNEEEEEEEEEEEE XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

In other words: Elites are great for close combat, where they're going to get shot anyway so their size difference isn't much of a hindrance.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hitchenson
    @xyzygy said:
    " Elites would most likely have the stronger melee, if that's the case too? Or could I be totally wrong. "
    They didn't mention that in the Bungie podcast so as far as I'm aware it's just the health and shield difference whereas it's still a two hit melee kill for either race to perform. 
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon: If they're Bigger, faster, and stronger too! (DK Rap reference for the win!), then I'll probably play them all the time even though they're huge.  They look so awesome.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba

They look badass for sure.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ricetopher
    Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    @ricetopher said:
    " Dear god...I hope thats a campaign only size difference, otherwise why pick Elites over Spartans ever? "
    Well, in some situations (Arena for instance) you won't be able to pick one and be able to face the others.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I wonder if Elites will have a bunch of AA's and loadouts like Spartans do.  Maybe you could have an AI grunt as support or something.

Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " I wonder if Elites will have a bunch of AA's and loadouts like Spartans do.  Maybe you could have an AI grunt as support or something. "
    As far as I know, Elites have access to the same loadouts as Spartans, except for sprint.  Instead, Elites have Evade.  Check the Weekly Update.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArchScabby

Why the hell can't you play as a panda bear?  You just lost my money Bungie.  I hope one day you will learn to stop disappointing me.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Andorski

Any reason why Elites are so huge?  Master Chief was relatively close in size to Elites in Halo 1-3, right?

Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    @Andorski said:
    " Any reason why Elites are so huge?  Master Chief was relatively close in size to Elites in Halo 1-3, right? "
    Yes, but things are different for two reasons: 

1. Canonincal Reason: You don't play as the Master Chief in the campaign.  You play as Spartan III.  MC was around 7.5' tall or so.  The SIII's vary between 6'5" and 7'0".  Elites were a little bit taller than the MC and the SIIs. 

2. Gameplay Reason:  Having the characters the same height in MP but with different hiboxes creates the illusion of parity between the two models without there being any.  Hence the issues with people playing against Elites in SWAT.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Fish_Face_McGee said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " I wonder if Elites will have a bunch of AA's and loadouts like Spartans do.  Maybe you could have an AI grunt as support or something. "
    As far as I know, Elites have access to the same loadouts as Spartans, except for sprint.  Instead, Elites have Evade.  Check the Weekly Update. "
    I don't recall Bungie confirming that (except for the sprint thing). I think it would odd if they gave the Elites the same set of AA's when they are trying to make them play different from the Spartans.  I guess they could have giant purple jet packs. 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Andorski
    @Fish_Face_McGee:  I was asking in a canonical sense.  God damn... I knew Spartans were big, but I didn't know MC was that much of a god damn giant.

Although I'm now wondering what the height discrepancy between MC and other characters, like Sergeant Johnson.  Did the dude only come up to your chest?
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Fish_Face_McGee said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    As far as I know, Elites have access to the same loadouts as Spartans, except for sprint.  Instead, Elites have Evade.  Check the Weekly Update. "
    I don't recall Bungie confirming that (except for the sprint thing). I think it would odd if they gave the Elites the same set of AA's when they are trying to make them play different from the Spartans.  I guess they could have giant purple jet packs.  "
    I may be reading more into it, but I figured that since they only specified character type for Evade and Sprint that the rest would be usable for both.  
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Andorski said:
    " @Fish_Face_McGee:  I was asking in a canonical sense.  God damn... I knew Spartans were big, but I didn't know MC was that much of a god damn giant.  Although I'm now wondering what the height discrepancy between MC and other characters, like Sergeant Johnson.  Did the dude only come up to your chest? "
    I think MC was slightly over 7 foot.  And yes Johnson and the others were much smaller than MC.  Also, if you played ODST, the vehicles and weapons seemed much larger because your character was much smaller than in Halo 3.
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    @Andorski said:
    " @Fish_Face_McGee:  I was asking in a canonical sense.  God damn... I knew Spartans were big, but I didn't know MC was that much of a god damn giant.  Although I'm now wondering what the height discrepancy between MC and other characters, like Sergeant Johnson.  Did the dude only come up to your chest? "
    I'm not 100% on MC's height in the overall story (Halopedia lists him as 6.83 feet) , but on the most recent Bungie Podcast they mention that in Halo 3 you were over 7 feet tall in comparison to the more average-height of the SIII's in Reach.  Canonically, Johnson and the other marines should have come up no higher than the base of your neck (if the 7 feet or so is what he was supposed to be), but I think it made more sense functionally to make them seem taller.  In the cutscenes, the size difference seems more drastic than it was when you were "in the helmet."  But he's pretty damn tall.  For a bit of reference, check out this Youtube link and jump to 2:27.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Fish_Face_McGee said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @Fish_Face_McGee said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    As far as I know, Elites have access to the same loadouts as Spartans, except for sprint.  Instead, Elites have Evade.   Check the Weekly Update. "
    I don't recall Bungie confirming that (except for the sprint thing). I think it would odd if they gave the Elites the same set of AA's when they are trying to make them play different from the Spartans.  I guess they could have giant purple jet packs.  "
    I may be reading more into it, but I figured that since they only specified character type for Evade and Sprint that the rest would be usable for both.   "
    I guess we will have pterodactyls in Halo Reach then.
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Fish_Face_McGee said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @Fish_Face_McGee said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    As far as I know, Elites have access to the same loadouts as Spartans, except for sprint.  Instead, Elites have Evade.   Check the Weekly Update. "
    I may be reading more into it, but I figured that since they only specified character type for Evade and Sprint that the rest would be usable for both.   "
    I guess we will have pterodactyls in Halo Reach then. "
    Well, flying elites wouldn't be a brand new thing for Halo, they were in Halo 2 in the beginning.  It wouldn't surprise me if that's how you get introduced to the jetpack in singleplayer, if you do.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By big_jon
    @Fish_Face_McGee:
    No lock down or jump jets ethier.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Elites have always been that much larger than Spartans in the canon. Bungie gave them the Quasimodo treatment for Halo 2 and 3, though, to balance the multiplayer, so for the past few games they've had the appearance of being squat and short.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DystopiaX
    @xobballox said:
    " @big_jon: If they're Bigger, faster, and stronger too! (DK Rap reference for the win!), then I'll probably play them all the time even though they're huge.  They look so awesome. "
    you can't. They're only allowed in certain gametypes for balance.@Hitchenson said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" Just like my dick. "

Further strengthening peoples claims that Halo is played by 12 year olds exclusively right here ladies and gentlemen. 

On topic, I'll be interested to see how the actual differences between species plays out. Being as it's Bungie I've got nothing to worry about I'm just curious if people are going to "jump ship" now so to speak and have the vast majority of the Halo player base playing as Elites over SPARTANs. I personally will continue to be a SPARTAN because they're awesome and I like the idea of playing a single universal character throughout my extensive Reach career.  

This below is probably the thing I'm most looking forward to seeing in action just due to it being the biggest "shake up" Halo multiplayer has probably seen to date. Load outs. 

No Caption Provided
    "
    i think this is the best info given this week- we see some of their loadouts that they have in mind- Air assault looks like AR and pistol with 2 frags and a jetpack, 
    Expert Marksman is spring (retarded for a long range player IMO, but w/e) DMR and magnum with 3 frags, Operator has a shotty and pistol with 3 frags and shield lock, and Grenadier has a launcher and AR with 3 frags and spring. 

What I like about all of these is that, unlike H3, they all have a mid to long range option- either the DMR, grenade launcher, or magnum. Should make for reasonably balanced loadouts. hate the 5sks though, unless these weapons shoot a LOT faster.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xyzygy

You also have to remember that when the war on Reach was going on, the Covenant sent their best warriors there. It makes sense why these Elites would be bigger and badder. All the Covenant you fight in Halo 1, 2 and 3 weren't the bulk of the Covenant fleet - that was on Reach.

tbone81889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tbone81889

I just want to make sure that everyone knows this.  You will not be able to choose being an elite.  They are game type specific and the game will choose what character you are for you.  

With that aside expect to see Spartan vs Spartan,  Elites vs Elites, or Spartans vs Elites, but not Spartans & Elites vs Spartans & Elites. 

Sorry if this is already common knowledge, but base on some of the comments in this thread it appears that some people believe that it will be just like Halo 3 where you can choose whether or not your a Spartan or Elite.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

In my eyes they are bigger targets.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DystopiaX said:
    " @xobballox said:
    " @big_jon: If they're Bigger, faster, and stronger too! (DK Rap reference for the win!), then I'll probably play them all the time even though they're huge.  They look so awesome. "
    you can't. They're only allowed in certain gametypes for balance.@Hitchenson said:

Yeah, realized that after reading the article :( Oh well, heh.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By big_jon
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    "Just like my dick. "

Man, you sure are dumb.
    Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hitchenson said:
    " @ricetopher said:

They have got higher shields and health both of which recharge quicker than that of a SPARTAN. So the differences between size and abilities balance each other out.  "
    Elites also only in Invasions or other similar game types, apart from that Spartans and Elites do not mix, especially in Arena.
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jambones
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " They look badass for sure. "
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @Hitchenson said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" Just like my dick. "

Yeah, no one over the age of 12 has ever made a joke on the internet about the size of their genitals.  I'm 20. "
    Yeah, well I've got a 20" penis.  LOL IM SO FUNEEEEEEEEEEEE XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! "
    You should uhh, see a doctor about that...
    thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By thejamster

Ok so they are better than Spartans because these spartans aren't master chief and these elites are better?  Cause otherwise I killed hundreds of these guys over halo 1-2

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jkz

Guys, I'm pretty sure they've said that Elites won't be playable in many game-types, whereas there will be others that are specifically elite vs. spartan.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By big_jon
    @thejamster:
    These are Spartan III`s this mean that they are somewhat inferior to the chief who was a Spartan II. Strength size and speed are a bit lower because they were cheaper to make.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.