Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

the credit system is pointless

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tunaburn

i like how the game gives the credits at the end of each match. its pretty stylish. but the credits themselves are pointless basically. i have never ever noticed anyone looking any different from each other.  buy all the armor pieces you want but it seems like during a game there is no way anyone will be able to notice.  Have you ever notices anyone with different armor than yours? I wish the armor was way more noticeable. like a huge spikey shoulder pad and a mohawk sticking out your helmet. :P

i guess its just for you own pleasure. although the stuff like the lighting coming out of your armor that costs a million credits seems like it might be cool
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

"The game"? 
    What game? 

Oh, this is a thread about Eternal Champions, isn't it. Please put it on that game's forum. 

Oh an you're wrong. ET never gives you credits. Or armour. You must be crazy. Play as The Senator in the future. He's the best.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I assume you're talking about Halo: Reach. If so then although I've only played a couple of hours of the game there seems to be a pretty considerable amount of customisation available for your avatar.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bcjohnnie
    @tunaburn:  Yeah I agree with you generally... The credit system really seems to be a desperate way to reach out to the Call of Duty crowd, giving players something for their dedication and good play, but of course none of it affects the gameplay at all, and I've never really believed that customizing little bits of armor has ever been a big draw for people who want to play multiplayer.

I guess it's better than not offering any "upgrades" at all, but besides some of the drastically different helmets, I really don't notice any differences on the Spartans.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By withateethuh

I've noticed everyone looking the same because no one has unlocked enough armor. Give it a week or two.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano
    @withateethuh said:
    " I've noticed everyone looking the same because no one has unlocked enough armor. Give it a week or two. "
    These are my thoughts. Also, maybe everyone is just saving up to buy Master Chief's voice.
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By cap123

You do notice in replays, so you will appreciate your armour if you do something badass and want to look equally so!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By veektarius

My armor is the bomb.  I just need to make sergeant so I can buy a new hat.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By donwoogie

Get yourself the Stormtrooper helmetand colour yourself in the white, like me!  Together, we will conquer the galaxy! Mwuahahaha!

No Caption Provided
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By commandercup

Are you kidding? Have you even looked through the armory? The customization was awesome just in my playthrough of the campaign... Multiplayer is just icing on the cake.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Onno10

I bet in a week or so some crazy people will already be rolling with electrical armor. It will be a quick indication of who you should mute instantly.

omggunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By omggunstar

It looks really good in the cutscenes, though.

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Immuniity

I see plenty of different faces / shoulders / permentations online.

The issue is though, i dont think in my 5 or so games i've seen anyone higher than a warrent officer. Not to mention the people that are clearly just stacking all their money in order to by Emile's helmet (that bloody skull...).

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donwoogie: Imagine that shit in Campaign, dude. Fuck. Can't wait to unlock some of this shit.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fjordson
    @commandercup said:
    " Are you kidding? Have you even looked through the armory? The customization was awesome just in my playthrough of the campaign... Multiplayer is just icing on the cake. "
    Totally agreed.

I'm already seeing lots of unique combinations on people. And that's only after two days. I find the armory in general is surprisingly addictive and I like that purchased stuff persist in the campaign.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If I saw it correct, some armor pieces aren't even visible in the armor till you reach a higher rank, so there might be more options then we think!

And I understand the general problem with this system, I am glad they did it and mix things up a little.
    If you have no customization -> People won't even mention the lack of choosing/editing your character.
    If you have any customization -> People will complain it's not enough/pointless/whatever.

Where's my fps with more characters then one could keep track off?
    :(

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By MrMuscle

They mentioned a good point on the Bombcast about everybody playing thru the game before they have credits to purchase all the cool stuff. I kinda wish that all the differend pieces also has some practical effect as well, could have been cool. Also a bit sad that the custom colours dissapears in all team multiplayer battles. But thats just practical. 3 teams and everybody in random colour would be a mosh.
    artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By artelinarose

I personally think it's more about the colors than the armor pieces themselves this early in the game's life. Nobody's going to notice the flashlight on the side of your head but if you go for a color scheme that really stands out and defines you then you're going to get a little more mileage out of the customization until you start getting the really cool shit.  I've had people recognize and acknowledge me in prolonged matches because of my character; I'm one of the very few female Spartans running around and my white and rose color scheme tends to stick out amidst the sea of blacks, reds, blues and greens.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scrawnto
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @donwoogie: Imagine that shit in Campaign, dude. Fuck. Can't wait to unlock some of this shit. "
    Oh dude yes! I really want to play this game soon. Alas, I have no money.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @tunaburn: So, it's not the credits that are pointless. It's different armor types that are.
    foxhound421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By foxhound421

it's just something cool and fun. it's no more or less pointless than some number next to your name. even if it is purely aesthetic, i'd much rather be earning credits to buy new stuff for my Spartan than EXP for a rank or to unlock the good weapons.

i also don't see why everyone keeps comparing Reach to COD. aside from being FPSs, they couldn't be more different. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your right it is pointless, and a way to draw in COD fans, but I enjoy it because it reminds me a lot like Rainbow Six Vegas. Im sorry but halo 3 is boring to me, its not my cup of tea. Reach feels like it had sex with MW2 and produced reach and so far I am loving it. 

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Immuniity
    @foxhound421 said:
    "i also don't see why everyone keeps comparing Reach to COD. aside from being FPSs, they couldn't be more different.  "
    They are the big big big FPS titles on consoles. For whatever reason, people arbitrarily ally to one and not the other. But like you said, they are totally different experiences.

Keep in mind, to the greater majority of people who just pick up and play only a few games a year, words like 'twitch shooter' or 'arena shooter' are just amount to 'FPS'.
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HydraHam
    @donwoogie said:
    " Get yourself the Stormtrooper helmetand colour yourself in the white, like me!  Together, we will conquer the galaxy! Mwuahahaha!

No Caption Provided
    "
    I am saving up to get one of those things like how you explode confetti when you die, currently im using the flaming helmet but they have some pretty cool stuff and PS that helmet is AWESOME.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tunaburn
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " @tunaburn: So, it's not the credits that are pointless. It's different armor types that are. "
    thats very true. i actually like earning credits. but dont feel any need to spend any.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tunaburn

Do you unlock armor from playing the campaign? Or just by leveling up by the way?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @tunaburn said:

" Do you unlock armor from playing the campaign? Or just by leveling up by the way? "

Pretty sure the points are earned through all modes.

And c'mon seriously, are we really gonna waste our time debating the pointlessness of a VIDEOGAME'S point system?

If so, I have some crazy news about points, levelling and stats in all videogames.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @tunaburn said:

" Do you unlock armor from playing the campaign? Or just by leveling up by the way? "

Anything you do (Solo, MP, Firefight) earns you credits. Credits fill in your 'exp' bar, fill the bar and rank up, rank up gives you more armor options. 
    So, the answer is: Yes.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @tunaburn said:
    " @Lukeweizer said:
    " @tunaburn: So, it's not the credits that are pointless. It's different armor types that are. "
    thats very true. i actually like earning credits. but dont feel any need to spend any. "
    I agree with you. There's a couple helmets I actually like. And I gotta rank up like crazy to get 'em. The chest armor and knee armor selection is pretty weak. but I do like getting Credits. Just nice to have a bankroll.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By TheHBK

Some of that seems so god damn expensive.  I wonder when I would earn enough credits to really unlock some good stuff.  Fucking knee pads cost how much?

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Mystyr_E
    @donwoogie said:
    " Get yourself the Stormtrooper helmetand colour yourself in the white, like me!  Together, we will conquer the galaxy! Mwuahahaha!

No Caption Provided
    "

These are not the playlists you're looking for
    PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PS3RG

stupid question but the armor customization is purely for looks right? They have no affect on combat stats?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Sooperspy
    @donwoogie said:

No Caption Provided
    "
    I have this helmet, but my armor colors are yellow (the one in the bottom right) and sky blue. I also have two shoulder pads that don't match and are very big and clunky. I guess I stand out quite a bit, since everyone else has blue/red/black/silver colors and have the same armor.
    Pumer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pumer

I really like the credit system in this game.  It gives me an incentive to kick ass, but doesn't screw over those who haven't put a ton of time in like Call of Duty does.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By OldManLight

i only care what my guy looks like.  I could care less about other people's armor because its pretty likely i'll hate most people that play halo, so the armor becomes a moot point.  Although, so far i've met some nice people but those ones are definitely the exception.   

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cap123

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.