Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

They Challenge Me to Play More

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

Edited By kariyanine

As some of you know I like my achievements and trophies but despite my gamerscore, I'm not exactly the prototypical achievement whore. I just play a lot of games, which in turn turns into a lot of achievement points. The thing I love about them is the sense of accomplishment, the sense that someone is there patting you on the back for doing something in the game. They don't really mean something but they give me that extra little motivation to keep playing through games.

Where am I going with all this? Well as some of you know by now, Halo: Reach has a daiily challenge system. It is very similar to an achievement system except when you accomplish it you don't get any additional GS. What you do get though is some bonus credits and a message that pops up on your screen telling you you've finished it. In fact (much like Gears of War II and Left 4 Dead) the challenges keep track of your progress throughout the day and will give you little in game updates as you move towards completing your goal. The other night I played 4 hours of multiplayer chasing down the challenges for that day and all I really went on to do was play more of the campaign. And the challenges are not just linked to competitive multiplayer, depending upon the challenges for the day it could be campaign or firefight related as well. Its an ingenious system that will keep me coming back over and over again.

Today's challenges:

More than a Handful
    - Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Where There's Smoke...
    - Kill 50 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

The T.G. Opposition
    - Kill 20 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with the Shotgun.

I'm Rubber, You're Glue
    - Earn 1 sticky grenade Kills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

These seem directly primed towards the way I enjoy playing the game. The first two are pretty standard (play a lot of firefight and competitive multiplayer today) but the last two are exactly how I play the game. I love to get right up on the enemies in Firefight and oftentimes have myself equipped with a shotgun and in competitive multiplayer the sticky grenades are one of my favorite tools. I guess I know what I will be doing later today (after football). 

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kariyanine

As some of you know I like my achievements and trophies but despite my gamerscore, I'm not exactly the prototypical achievement whore. I just play a lot of games, which in turn turns into a lot of achievement points. The thing I love about them is the sense of accomplishment, the sense that someone is there patting you on the back for doing something in the game. They don't really mean something but they give me that extra little motivation to keep playing through games.

Where am I going with all this? Well as some of you know by now, Halo: Reach has a daiily challenge system. It is very similar to an achievement system except when you accomplish it you don't get any additional GS. What you do get though is some bonus credits and a message that pops up on your screen telling you you've finished it. In fact (much like Gears of War II and Left 4 Dead) the challenges keep track of your progress throughout the day and will give you little in game updates as you move towards completing your goal. The other night I played 4 hours of multiplayer chasing down the challenges for that day and all I really went on to do was play more of the campaign. And the challenges are not just linked to competitive multiplayer, depending upon the challenges for the day it could be campaign or firefight related as well. Its an ingenious system that will keep me coming back over and over again.

Today's challenges:

More than a Handful
    - Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Where There's Smoke...
    - Kill 50 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

The T.G. Opposition
    - Kill 20 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with the Shotgun.

I'm Rubber, You're Glue
    - Earn 1 sticky grenade Kills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

These seem directly primed towards the way I enjoy playing the game. The first two are pretty standard (play a lot of firefight and competitive multiplayer today) but the last two are exactly how I play the game. I love to get right up on the enemies in Firefight and oftentimes have myself equipped with a shotgun and in competitive multiplayer the sticky grenades are one of my favorite tools. I guess I know what I will be doing later today (after football). 

Avatar image for deactivated-6442941ed320c
    deactivated-6442941ed320c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's a fantastic way to keep you coming back for more. I really like how they've done it.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

Theyre cool and I have the weekly and the daily  achievements but the motivation for them isn't enough.  The shotgun one makes firefight annoying and I'd get more credits playing with  better guns and grenades than trying to get 20 kills. They need to up how many credits some of them are worth.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @marioncobretti: 
    I agree, the credits hardly seem worth it and there's little to actually save up for anyway.
    themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By themartyr

Where do I find the weekly challenges? I can only see dailies.

Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Godot
    @themartyr said:

" Where do I find the weekly challenges? I can only see dailies. "

I think the weekly challenge is the very bottom challenge (not very well distinguished I know). At the moment it's the "play 9 missions on Heroic or higher" challenge.
    themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By themartyr
    @Godot: Ah thanks, that makes a hell of a lot more sense now. I thought they were asking people to get all the other dailies AND to complete the campaign from start to finish on heroic in one single day to get the points!
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Godot said:
    " @themartyr said:

" Where do I find the weekly challenges? I can only see dailies. "

I think the weekly challenge is the very bottom challenge (not very well distinguished I know). At the moment it's the "play 9 missions on Heroic or higher" challenge. "
    Ahh so that's the weekly. I was wondering if they were just starting it a week late and that once you start a daily challenge it stays with you till you complete it. 

It makes a whole lot more sense if it was a weekly challenge. They really need to clean that up a bit not that it's really that big of a deal.
    kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kariyanine

The weekly challenge is only clear on Bungie.net where it actually separates them out between Daily and weekly (with a countdown timer).

I got the shotgun challenge in one and a half firefight matches and I was using other weapons throughout.  I scored "well" enough I guess.  Outside of that I don't much care about the credits, I just like the idea of them saying hey, go do this today and we'll give you a pat on the back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.